Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Too Hot To Handle

Two Miami chefs have become well-known for their cuisine and their spirited personalities, but their attitudes could turn investors off.

Sheesh, once again we go through a whole show, deal and all, only to find out they ended up not making a deal after all. What's the point of this show anyway?

And if their financial issues were such a problem perhaps this should have be found out at the pitch at the beginning of the show.

And Robyn was back.  Again.  Hasn't she popped up on at least 3 other cooking competitions?

No kidding!  I'm so tired of seeing/hearing her on various shows.  I'm getting the feeing she will keep it up until she gets her own show. Someone in casting must think the viewing public is somehow enamored with all her "personality".  If anyone watched early seasons of "Next Food Network Star" there was an annoying chipmunk-like contestant named Kelsey. Even though she didn't win, she continued to pop up all over Food Network until she got a show on their sister network. 

As for Jeremiah and his financials... wow. Why doesn't the show look at the books/legalities of the biz before letting these folks move ahead in the process?  Is the point to embarrass them?  I don't like it.  If the business is not on the level or not vetted as a potentially good investment, then find another restaurant that is.

And Robyn was back.  Again.  Hasn't she popped up on at least 3 other cooking competitions?
No kidding!  I'm so tired of seeing/hearing her on various shows.  I'm getting the feeing she will keep it up until she gets her own show. Someone in casting must think the viewing public is somehow enamored with all her "personality".

Soooo happy that the twitchy idiot was not picked. I was pretty sure she had shot her chances in the foot when she refused to let her partner speak and explained that she did not need to know the menu. I would have deleted this episode immediately to avoid watching her if she had been selected.

I thought the team they selected had promise until the revealed at the end that they were a financial trainwreck. Agreed that made the episode feel like a bit of a bigger waste of time than usual.

The ending was unfortunate, but not surprising. The details about their existing businesses was troubling and I suspect the "due diligence" revealed more information that would make an investment too risky for Joe and Tim. Perhaps something about the partner who owns 49% of the business, or more debt. Since the details have not been disclosed, we can't determine if their decision not to invest was reasonable.

A lot of these show have the disclaimer that the investment is subject to due diligence. Perhaps doing this on the front end disqualify so many candidates, and the juicy drama that comes with them.

Jeremiah Bullfrog competed on Chopped as well. A lot of these shows are becoming crowded with serial reality show contestants.

(edited)

1. So happy and thankful freaking ROBIN was not yet again a feature on a food show. Just enough, woman. Go away. Go far, far away. I wouldn't have trusted it either -- it would have just felt like more reality-food-star-ridiculousness, which she's shown she is very willing to support. I mean, there's a huge difference between our believing someone is a sound business person and a sound chef. Robin has actively promoted herself as someone -- fairly or unfairly -- I would never believe has an ounce of business sense in her head, and the tasting bore that out.

2. I was really frustrated with this couple and felt almost immediately that they weren't telling the whole story about their business. To ONLY reveal the 49% partner at the offer stage? I don't buy it. I have to think RSU needed to fill episodes and so here we went. Which is a shame, since I think Joe and Tim were sincerely impressed by the couple and really wanted to invest in their abilities.

I like the show, but the lack of definitive deals this season is a bummer, and begins to make the show a bit suspect. The only silver lining is that Tim has softened up a bit this season and he's noticeably the kinder of the two partners, and it's kind of fun to watch.

If anyone watched early seasons of "Next Food Network Star" there was an annoying chipmunk-like contestant named Kelsey. Even though she didn't win, she continued to pop up all over Food Network until she got a show on their sister network.

I remember Kelsey from her season of FNS, and I have to disagree. She was quickly shown to be expert (if a bit young and perky), and she showed herself to be a reliable and good cook. She also had by far the best TV presence of her season, so it's been great to see her succeed regardless. I don't watch her show regularly, but I caught a few episodes out of curiosity and she came across as calm, knowledgeable, and capable (and refreshingly didn't scream at me to communicate "enthusiasm"). I'm fine with her success on TV and think she's done well with it. 

Edited by paramitch