Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Impractical Applications

On 2/26/2016 at 4:55 AM, iMonrey said:

They're good for a laugh, for sure. But - there is a disproportionate contrast between Elliot and Margo's smug aloofness and the morose and/or angry nature of all the other characters. It's kind of sick in a way, seeing Elliot and Margot sitting there laughing at and mocking people who might otherwise be committed to mental hospitals. So they're not so much lightening the mood with humor for me. It's more like they're kind of the sadistic Nurse Ratchet characters that get off on the first years' pain.

I agree and it's why I didn't like Elliot's character at first (although he's definitely grown on me). He's a bit too much the 'picked on gay character who puts on a blasé uncaring act to defend himself}. It's also why I didn't find any humour in this episode at all. I thought it was as dark as all the others.

On 3/17/2016 at 11:13 AM, LeGrandElephant said:

Didn't Penny read Kady's mind when they first met? And it led to them having sex? So wouldn't he have known already if she was really thinking that he seemed useful rather than thinking she was attracted to him?

When somebody has a good ward up, Penny can only hear what they want him to hear. It's why Quentin annoys him so much because he has not wards and so Penny gets everything. Probably every moment of self-doubt and mental recrimination along with every geek out. It'd drive me bananas too. 

So, Penny couldn't see she was lying to him. Also, he was trying to deny he was psychic and was doing his best to avoid it.

On 3/17/2016 at 11:13 AM, LeGrandElephant said:

Also overall Kady's lot doesn't make a whole lot of sense - how could the Brakebills faculty not have noticed her stealing and being blackmailed etc? And even if they didn't notice, she probably should have told them up front and asked for their help in protecting her from Marina.

I don't understand Kady's deal with Marina either. It's all been 'Marina cleaned up my mother's mess' and 'oh, this is about your mother'. I get the impression that Kady is working for Marina in exchange for her mother's life but as with a lot of things in this show we have no idea how that deal was set up or how it works. It's like in the first episode where they summoned 'The Beast' and Penny 'confesses' and the next thing you know it's Quentin - and only Quentin - that's in trouble even though the school would have known that it takes four people to cast that spell. So what did Penny say?

This episode felt like a bit of a cheap way to bring in some frat hazing rituals along with some truth or dare.  I don't get the point of kicking out students who could potentially be helpful to the community.  From the alumni, a lot of them don't exactly fight evil or do anything particularly worthwhile.  

This episode did make me understand Kady a bit more and I liked her mom too.  It's getting difficult to like Julia when she got someone killed by doing something which was reckless and unnecessary.