Type keyword(s) to search

The Also-Rans: Close But No Cigar

Discuss other groups that came close (2nd, 3rd place) but just missed the mark: Beelzebubs, Voices of Lee, Street Corner Symphony (my personal fav), The Backbeats, The Dartmouth Aires, Urban Method, Ten, and Vocal Rush.  Or whoever else you want to talk about.

If Filharmonic is going to be another group competing against the Bellas, their really young looks totally work for their casting. Akso, the fact that they were not a school-based group, so they haven't disbursed to college, etc., like Vocal Rush, for example.

The Dartmouth Aires are still my favorite group to have competed on the show.  I loved their quirkiness, their style, and of course Michael Odokara's amazing voice.  I still get goosebumps when thinking about how he hit that high note at the end of Queen's "Somebody To Love."

• Love 2

I looked up Michael's EP on YouTube--he's apparently going by the name "Michael O," and the album is very current r&b. Some of the songs are definitely interesting to listen to, but I'll admit that contemporary r&b is not really my thing.

The Akousticats have a new video which features Jeremy Lewis, who was in the group when they were on the Sing-Off, but who has since graduated and now has his own business and dates Kirstie from Pentatonix, who appears in a non-vocal role in the video:

• Love 1

Last night's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver ended with a new anthem in favor of Britain staying in the EU. After enjoying the highly profane song, I looked at the credits and was surprised to see that the adult members of the choir were the Cats' Pajamas!! I hadn't thought about them since their Ep 1 exit in S3 of TSO. 

Watch the song starting at 13:55 here (definitely NSFW!!):

I recognized Skinner from Cat's Pajamas (or it's someone who looks very much like him), but not the others.

Also, that was German a cappella group Delta Q in the beginning of the video of EU theme song.

The Filharmonic returned to the Late Late Show to sing backup for James Corden and Neil Patrick Harris during their Broadway riff off! You can skip ahead to 1:50 which is when James says he and Neil can't have a proper riff-off without the Filharmonic.

ETA: I just realized that no one posted when the Filharmonic appeared on the show in September with Shawn Mendes:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2