Type keyword(s) to search

Pentatonix: Season 3 Champs

The one time I got to see them live (during their first tour, after driving four hours to another city with a friend and then standing outside in snowing weather for an hour before the doors opened), I fell in love with Avi. He's just electric.

http://www.forth1.com/djs/bigsaturdayshow/features/kelly-clarkson-isnt-happy-with-u2/

Around the 4 min mark, Kelly talks about touring with Pentatonix over the summer.

I guess this is a cross promotion tour by arranged by RCA?

In another news, Baz Luhrmann had teamed up with RCA for a new subsidiary label called "Bazmark". Come to think of it, perhaps PTX's appearance for Barney's window display show was brokered through RCA as part of this new cooperation?

• Love 1
(edited)

Unless I've misinterpreted her comments, it seems that she and PTX will tour together in North America and Europe. Thanks for that, debbydeb!

That means they'll be doing back to back tours, since they've got the one they're embarking on now running through May.

EDIT - Okay, http://ptxofficial.com/tour says they tour now through May, then have most of May off and all of June, then tour straight from July through the end of September.

Even with 2 months off that's a #& load of touring.

You have to click through on a link to see that those July and later performances are "Kelly Clarkson With Special Guest Pentatonix". I wonder if that billing was arranged before they had the 4th largest album of the year (not that it's THAT bad).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
(edited)

You're welcome SrPab!

Thanks for the update link, Kromm. 

Wow. 2015 looks busy for them. 

Are they still doing A Cappella Academy/Retreat? Because that runs from June 14 to July 6. 

That's not a lot of time to rest. They work hard, for sure. 

Edited by debbydeb
  • Love 1

I'm sure Avi will be there, but I don't think that PTX will be the Artist-in-Residence this year.

I woke up this morning and had the local cable news channel on. The last few minutes of the hour are usually spent on entertainment news, and today it was Carrie Underwood becoming a new mom, Katy Perry selling Left Shark onesies, and Kelly Clarkson going on tour, "a capella group Pentatonix and singer Eric [what's his name] will be opening." Nice to hear their name on the news!! Sounds like they will be at big venues,--Allstate Arena in Chicago, which is where I saw Billy Joel back at the peak of his career in the mid-80s.

(edited)

I'm sure Avi will be there, but I don't think that PTX will be the Artist-in-Residence this year.

Not a 100% guarantee now (due to how busy their summer just got) but perhaps this FB post is still valid.

Elsewhere, I've come across speculation that the #OnMyWayHomeProject could be a digital photo album and/or a music video splicing together footage from their tour stops.

Edited by SrPab-PTV

Kevin's solo EP is out and he's been doing videos.  For example,

It seems like Kirstie is the only one who doesn't do side projects (Avi's had some awesome ones, and of course Mitch and Scott have Superfruit and Scott lots of musical collaborations with about half of YouTube).  Which is okay, but I guess it goes back to the idea that maybe she's lacking a bit of confidence.

• Love 1

Well with 19,003 views it doesn't sound like the legions of Pentatonix fans know about it yet either (although admittedly it's only been up 6 days).  Has the main PTXOfficial Twitter maybe not mentioned it? (I know Kevin and Avi's stuff are mentioned there, and I bet Scott's collabs are too).

Edited by Kromm

I seem to remember thay Kirstie did some things with the Broadway crowd? She also mentioned somewhere (can't remember where, must be some media blitz sometime ago) that she's concentrating on a correspondence course with one of the community colleges. If she's still doing this, then maybe all the free time not devoted to performing, rehearsing and resting might be devoted to school...

The credits on the video say that Ben Bram did the arrangement too, so it's not even just some random collab.  I'm surprised with the Bram connection (and the same director, Ryan Parma, that PTX uses on many of their videos) the push has been slightly harder.

• Love 1

At this point, I think Kirstie is the one who could most likely be a solo act.  Her ability to deliver a performance is skyrocketing.

I like her, but frankly there'd be nothing unique about her as a solo act.  Her special skill at harmonizing would be wasted, and her pure solo voice, while good, isn't going to shine in a marketplace saturated with Jessie J, Adele, Gaga, and when she doesn't mumble-sing and enunciates, Ariana Grande.

That said, I still think she needs to do more collabs away from PTX.  I think it's good for all of them to have those.

I wonder if her continued interest in Broadway stuff might lead someday to her taking a role in a Broadway musical.  That would be a great plan, because for a "celeb" casting (which she is now) vs. a normal Broadway professional, those are shorter hauls (sometimes only 2 months or so) where they sell the run hanging on the celebs name, and while "Kirstin Maldonado" isn't going to necessarily put butts in Broadway theater seats, we're approaching the point where if it's advertised as "Kirstin Maldonado of Pentatonix", it might.  Taking lets say... a month off to prep and then a 2 month run is not a huge break from her main career, and at some point it's inevitable PTX will start to be apart anyway for periods like that to recharge. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

Until her life trajectory changed, Kirstie was in U of Oklahoma's musical theater program, so she was heading to a career on a stage. Which meant (means) she had (has) Broadway aspirations. Then there's the Disney angle...I've come across online chatter non-rhetorically wondering when she'll be the next Disney (Latina) Princess.

I agree with the overall point that all of them should seek out individual creative opportunities, no matter what those are--collabs, solo albums/EPs, a cappella mentoring/teaching, voice-over work, etc. It keeps the creative juices flowing and gives each of them something different to do for personal fulfillment.

All of this, of course, leads to PTX being no more. Right now, I can't imagine them having the longevity of The Real Group, FORK, and the like--not because they couldn't sustain it but because they wouldn't want to.

Hmm, here's a question: does anyone think Pentatonix, as a band/brand, can or should live on but with periodic lineup changes (á la the Swingle Singers, for example)?

Edited by SrPab-PTV
  • Love 1

Until her life trajectory changed, Kirstie was in U of Oklahoma's musical theater program, so she was heading to a career on a stage. Which meant (means) she had (has) Broadway aspirations. Then there's the Disney angle...I've come across online chatter non-rhetorically wondering when she'll be the next Disney (Latina) Princess.

I agree with the overall point that all of them should seek out individual creative opportunities, no matter what those are--collabs, solo albums/EPs, a cappella mentoring/teaching, voice-over work, etc. It keeps the creative juices flowing and gives each of them something different to do for personal fulfillment.

All of this, of course, leads to PTX being no more. Right now, I can't imagine them having the longevity of The Real Group, FORK, and the like--not because they couldn't sustain it but because they wouldn't want to.

Hmm, here's a question: does anyone think Pentatonix, as a band/brand, can or should live on but with periodic lineup changes (á la the Swingle Singers, for example)?

No.

I think they should all stick with their brand.  I strongly believe they shouldn't abandon the group, because individually they'll lose their uniqueness and blend into the industry and become invisible.  Kevin for example, is a great cellist and a pretty darn good beatboxer, but that doesn't really roll successfully into a full time career that's going to pay better than even a 1/5th cut of Pentatonix's cash flow (that's why he was training to be a Doctor before PTX).  From what I recall of Avi, he'd probably skew in a Ben Bram-like direction of writing, arranging and producing. Which is a great career a lot of musicians take on as SECOND careers when they get tired of performing to earn their bread, but he's got to be years away from needing to make that decision because he can arrange and produce for other people on the side without leaving PTX.  Kirstie has Broadway aspirations, true, but again I don't think it would necessitate more than seasonal breaks from PTX rather than years, because I think her biggest hook to get those jobs IS being a celeb, and that's what PTX brings her.  Short of lucking into a new play and magically getting a lead and winning a Tony, she's more on track to guest appear on Broadway than be the next Idina Menzel. Now Mitch (other than Superfruit) seems to do outside projects even less than Kirstie, so who knows his aspirations in that department, but I don't see him a super-marketable on his own, as great as he is.  And then there's Scott.  Who I bet might even be interested in a possible solo career, but I don't think he's foolish enough to think the chance of succeeding in one is all that great.

The side projects shouldn't be to advance individual agendas, because they'll always be dead ends if that's the case.  They should be about giving each of them a creative rest from Pentatonix, so they can return refreshed.  That's both the smart creative AND smart business decision.  Even if they eventually start taking a few years off between albums and tours, that'll be alright as long as they keep that in mind.  The side projects (assuming they get bigger than YouTube collabs eventually I mean) are going to be vanity projects.

We agree, Kromm...it's just either I misinterpreted your earlier post or you misread mine. You mentioned that it would be good for them to have side projects away from PTX and I agree with that.

The second paragraph in my above post should be interpreted as: PTX is Job 1...but do other fun creative stuff on the side. Perhaps I should have been more explicit in my wording.

Isn't Mitch "heavily" involved (as heavy as his Superfruit/PTX schedule allows him to) in the EDM scene? I think he's studying to be a music producer? (a good post-career move this).

Someone dug up a thing that Mitch did way back in 2011/2012? It's attributed to another singer (Mitch King), but I swear it sounds more like Grassi than King (there are some videos of King singing songs on youtube).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UcBSriUKvac

In the house that Mitch and Scott are co-renting (along with some other guys), Mitch has a mini-studio, so he is definitely looking to progress as a producer.

Kirstie just tweeted a few days ago that she misses tapping, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear about her going on a Broadway show some day, but probably not until she finished off her degree that she seems to be pretty gun-ho about (at least right now).

I would love to see Kevin get some level of success with his new EP or maybe with the other group Triptyq (whose sound I just love).

Avi always has the option of returning to opera if PTX ends up disbanding and he wants to get away from a cappella. I remember reading someone over at TWOP saying that, as a trained bass-baritone who is also very good-looking, especially now that he has lots of performance experience, he can write his own ticket in the opera world.

• Love 2

I have only seen the Forte collab mentioned by Kirstie on her Twitter account.

Yeah.  Seems like that likely hasn't changed, because there's only another 2000 views or so on the video--probably a decent portion of them coming from people here-so only 21,859 views from March 4 to March 12.   Whereas Kevin's Renegade video from March 9 (to today, March 12) has 33,517 views and counting... likely because it's embedded/linked in a PTXofficial tweet.

---

Heh.  Just poking around in the tweets and so got to looking at the first new PTXExperience video.  Someone forgot to remind Mitch to not wear shirts with logos on them, so his chest is one big blur. (EDIT - Heh.  Later in the video... Avi too.  BLURCHEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

PTXExperience: On My Way Home Ep 1 (now with 200% more "blurchest")

PTXExperience: On My Way Home Ep 2 

Watching both of these, I am more convinced than ever that Mitch needs to ditch the Hitler Hair, ASAP.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Heh...my last straw (not really) would be if he sprouted a tiny little mustache. [Just in case there's any doubt, I am mocking Hitler and his hair.]

Anyway, I just watched PTXperience Ep 2 and realized that because of Kelly Clarkson, PTX will be playing in bigger venues (they mentioned amphitheaters and arenas). No matter what, this should give them good lessons as to what works or doesn't work for their live act--disregarding any big venue that's clearly meant to showcase livestock and horses.

Unless their album release gets delayed, they'll have new material to perform. Sharing the stage with Kelly and Eric Hitchinson means, I think, a reduced set list. I wonder what choices they'll make? Will they perform all originals to promote the new album, or have a mix of originals and covers? I can't imagine them not having live performances of some of their originals.

I think having a tour like this one with Kelly is a good transitional step to see what more is possible or doable.

ETA 1: I don't know if any of you are aware of certain plans to debut an all-female a cappella quintet (think Fifth Harmony meets PTX). The group will draw its members from the greater-L.A. area and is being put together by the Judy Stakee Company in conjunction with Ben Bram and Rob Dietz (most likely as talent evaluators and coaches). Deke Sharon and Ben Bram also want to debut an all-male a cappella quintet. This group will have its future members relocated to Los Angeles.

Reading between the lines, it seems as if both these new groups will birth this year and be put out into the wild based on everything that has been learned from the PTX model (solid rhythm section, strong soloists and harmonizers, social media savvy, consistent content releases, touring, recording, etc.). I won't even bother to speculate if either can become as successful as PTX is right now (or more successful), but the timing of it all is suggestive. I believe some people consider PTX an anomaly. Can these new groups be the start of a movement in (U.S.) contemporary a cappella?

ETA 2: I don't have anything particularly illuminating to say regarding the Forte collab except that Forte's FB page mentions it (Duh!), Ben Spalding's FB page mentions it (he's Forte's music director), and I've seen the video posted on the FB pages of several Forte members. I think this was a one-off effort that was never meant to get a big publicity push. But because it's on YT, it has the potential to be seen by billions of people--if only they're made aware of its existence or come upon it accidentally/serendipitously.

Edited by SrPab-PTV
  • Love 1

The Forte video kept reminding me of the Brady Bunch intro.  I caught myself thinking, "Florence Henderson is looking really good!"

It sounds as though all 5 are creative, passionate musicians, so none of the speculations for side projects/second careers would surprise me.  I also think they all seem to love (and understand) that they're a phenomenon - I don't see any of them abandoning PTX too early.

My gut reaction is a vehement "NO" to having the group go on with a substitution, if one of the originals wanted to step down.  Not only am I attached to them, but I can't imagine anyone being able to continue their sound, not to mention the chemistry.  Then again, I recently watched a documentary about The Eagles on netflix, and finally understood that all of their shifts in sound were from people coming and going from the band.   And I loved them throughout it all.

Then again, those were the days when music was purely a listening experience.  It's different now - I think being able to see people changing would change the way I'd feel about what I was hearing. 

• Love 1

The Forte video kept reminding me of the Brady Bunch intro.  I caught myself thinking, "Florence Henderson is looking really good!"

Pentatonix previously had practically exactly the same thing with their Winter Wonderland/Don’t Worry Be Happy video - https://youtu.be/L1nQpoAvTSg

In fact, the PTX video even has that "line wipe" the Brady intro has (the solid white line that draws down the middle and opens into the boxes).  It goes by quick, but pay attention to the first few frames of the video (after the title card, I mean).

Edited by Kromm

Choosing to open for Kelly Clarkson is definitely one of the many smart moves that PTX is doing. Yes, they can sell out smaller venues as the headliners, but having the opportunity to (1) expand their potential fan base to the Kelly Clarkson fans (if they don't already overlap a bit), and (2) test out their sound and live-show ideas in bigger venues really makes the Clarkson tour a no-brainer. I'm sure that they're getting some decent cash for the gig, too, but the ability to try out ideas that they have for bigger sites is probably the bigger draw for them.

Oh, and IcompletelyON, I just saw that That's Christmas to Me went gold in Canada, so they have added that to their list of kudos--good for them!

• Love 2

Just another aspect of PTX's influence that I stumbled upon a few minutes ago (you may need an FB account to see it): ACA Scholarship Fundraising

From the About section of the page: "Fundraising project for ACA [A Cappella Academy] scholarship. This project is bound to the Daisy Claire Memorial Fundation. >> Non-official handmade stuff <<"

I only saw the live stream in bits and pieces across different broadcasts, since I just left the stream running into repeats (I kept being called out of the room, taking phone calls, cooking dinner, etc.)

I will say that overall I can see both the problems of a larger venue (and this one only seems to be medium large), but also in which places it doesn't matter (where they've overcome it) and where they haven't.

Avi's voice in particular seems to cut through, and the venue and being live seemed to matter very little.

Mitch overall seemed to average out about as I expected, with some dips and peaks. At times the venue and being live seemed to daunt him a hair, but at other times he was even better than I expected.

Kirstie, at least in this performance/venue, exceeded my expectations. I know last tour she had some vocal issues, but didn't seem to here.

As odd as it seems to say it, Scott and Kevin were the two minor let downs. Not by a lot, but a little.

Kevin in his cello solo was every bit as good as advertised. But something maybe about the venue, miking, etc. occasionally drowned out more of his beatboxing than I'd have liked during most of the rest of the night. Not by a ton though, so maybe it's a matter of degrees.

Scott, it seemed to vary by song. On some, like "Let's Get It On", he was as good as expected. On some others though he seemed a little off (and in "On My Way Home", for example, he seemed VERY off--or maybe it's just that his falsetto in a big ass venue is a problem especially).

It's not totally clear of course how the crowd got it vs. us at home, but we can guess. The miking overall seemed pretty good (in balance and loud enough), so it's likely we heard everything much better than them.

• Love 3

I hope they're going to post it to their Youtube VEVO account (like the Rocking Eve thing) because I've been buffering like nobody's business since a few hours ago. 

Youtube is my only hope these days for their "more localized" servers. 

Thank you Kromm for your breakdown! I hope I can see it. 

I came across a tumblr post by someone who attended PTX concert from a week ago? (But I lost the link, it's no longer in the tumblr.com/tagged/pentatonix aggregator where I found it firsthand... maybe that person took it down?)

Basically according to this particular attendee, it is a very noisy pop/rock concert rather than conventional a cappella show (I paraphrase: Those teenagers can't stop screaming and singing along with every note) and it's only enjoyable when they did the Christmas song (because of the floor mike). Basically, people who went to the concert hoping for a choir/classical music setting will be disappointed? 

What do you think, as you watch the live show on Yahoo? 

So, the more mainstream PTX get, especially with arena shows, I expect that this sort of polarization in opinion will become even more stark. 

• Love 2
Basically according to this particular attendee, it is a very noisy pop/rock concert rather than conventional a cappella show (I paraphrase: Those teenagers can't stop screaming and singing along with every note) and it's only enjoyable when they did the Christmas song (because of the floor mike). Basically, people who went to the concert hoping for a choir/classical music setting will be disappointed?

I agree with these assessments 100%.  I've thought about seeing them again, now that the Kelly Clarkson tour will be coming close to me, but I think I am going to save my money because I didn't enjoy the environment.

• Love 1

I don't know how long it will stay up on YT: #OnMyWayHomeTour - Wallingford, CT, 15 Mar. 2015

The uploader seems to have directly recorded the entire stream. There were some hitches/glitches but I'm not sure if it was due to the stream (buffering, latency) or the recording. Anyway, when Scott began singing "On My Way Home" (@ 1:10:27), it looked and sounded like he had a frog in his throat and was working on clearing it ASAP.

Does anyone know if Kevin's new cello (Beyonce 2.0, I guess?) was a gift, or did he get it himself?

I'm of the opinion that PTX's live shows aren't designed to be a "lean back" experience--not when there's something resembling a standing-room-only mosh pit center stage front and/or lots of teens and tweens. I wouldn't say their live act is only for the young, though. I've seen and heard the young-at-heart yelling their heads off, too. I think PTX prefers a loud and raucous environment...or at least something more energetic/dynamic and interactive.

Edited by SrPab-PTV
  • Love 2

It was kind of a shame that the first ("Problem") and last ("Daft Punk") numbers were arguably the worst executed ones. First and last impressions are most important.  

Whereas the HARDEST number of all, "The History of Music", in the MIDDLE of the show, was damn near flawless.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Finally watched it on youtube (ptxnewsandstuff channel). There's a bit of out of syncness between sound and video, but I enjoyed it. 

So they record the sound directly from the mic audio! Thank you for small mercies. The audience sounds are more muted than audience-recorded footage on youtube (which I like for different reasons, mainly because the audience can be so enthusiastic, and sometimes they can be infectious). 

I agree with Kromm's assessment, the first and last could be a bit better (I remember their last tour's encore being We Are Young or Can't Hold Us, and that's really amazing, sent all the audience home dancing). 

Daft Punk is not a song for the very last song of the set, it's just too demanding physically. It sounded like they're running on fumes.

What if they started with The History of Music?

All in all I enjoyed the live stream very much. It's a departure from shaky cams or tinny sounds. This is one group that will be fine when one of those gossip sites post "real isolated vocals from live singers' mics". 

• Love 1

Re: Kevin's Cello, 

apparently it's Yamaha SIlent Electric Cello

(he posted the time when he's trying it out on his Tumblr channel: http://kolusola.tumblr.com/post/92547043689/trying-out-the-yamaha-silent-electric-cellos)

An own buy? Or possibly a sponsor from Yamaha? (but the lack of Yamaha shout out at every show, meant that it might just be that he bought it himself--having an electric cello makes sense for the tour. They don't have to set up two mics whenever he celloboxes, just one mic for his beatboxing, and direct plug in the cello to the mixing board). 

And it's called..... Jay-Z.

http://popcrush.com/kevin-ko-olusola-interview-pentatonix-album/

Edited by debbydeb
  • Love 2

This was interesting, since we don't get to hear from Kirstie nearly as much as the others.

The floating thumb near the end looks weird though.  Way to unintentionally play with scale!

also:  Kevin interview:

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I'm of the opinion that PTX's live shows aren't designed to be a "lean back" experience--not when there's something resembling a standing-room-only mosh pit center stage front and/or lots of teens and tweens. I wouldn't say their live act is only for the young, though. I've seen and heard the young-at-heart yelling their heads off, too. I think PTX prefers a loud and raucous environment...or at least something more energetic/dynamic and interactive.

I very much agree with this. I've been to several different types of venues to see them...

- Only a floor section where everyone stood and danced as far as I could tell. This felt this most natural to me. It's basically a rock concert just with no instruments.

- Standing floor section with balcony seating. When I was on the floor, my experience was the same as above. But when I was up in the balcony seats, I was itching to stand up and dance/sing along like the floor folks, but since no one else up there was, I would have been a weirdo.

- A small college auditorium. This was by far the most awkward show I went to. Since there was a large section of college students there, I thought for sure at least they would stand. But no one did. At all. I was sort of glad since I was about 34 weeks pregnant with twins, but you could tell PTX was trying so hard to get people onto their feet and it just wasn't happening. They still rocked out like they had a mosh pit in front of them, which I was glad for but it felt super awkward.

Edited by takalotti
  • Love 2

Based on my exhaustive interwebs research (not)...all they really did was tend bar. It's my understanding that WWHL isn't the kind of show to have performances from music acts. The cynic in me says all they wanted from PTX was for them to sing the show's theme song...and then really put them to work tending bar.

Eh, it's not much for their resume/CV. But it does add to the varied tv appearances they've had. Plus, it was probably something quick and easy for PTX to do--but I don't know if this was a paid appearance, or if they did it for the exposure/as a favor.

Edited by SrPab-PTV
  • Love 1

New youtube cover of Happy is up. I hate the song, so I won't be listening to it again, but Avi always makes me smile.

One thing that has always impressed me is the razor sharp timing they all have (from the Sing-Off, on).   A few days ago, it occurred to me that maybe there is someone counting down in their little earpieces, so they know when to start.  Does anyone know if this is true?

Guess what? My brother, whom I got hooked on PTX by spending an evening with him, his computer and YouTube when I was visiting him at his house near Tampa, went to their concert at Busch Gardens. He really liked seeing them live.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 3