Type keyword(s) to search

Pentatonix: Season 3 Champs

Spring is Here! Can't wait to get PTX's new album. Are they deliberately aiming to release in Spring so they can debut it in the Summer Kelly Clarkson concert?

If they're still on track for a Spring release perhaps they want it to coincide with PP2's opening.

Edited by SrPab-PTV
  • Love 2

I purposely limit my web browsing on April 1...so, if this isn't some April Fool's joke, then from late-May through mid-June this year, PTX will make return visits to South Korea, Singapore and Japan. Additionally, they'll have first-time tour stops in Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines.

Of course, Latin American fans are agitating to have PTX come visit their corner of the world. Australians and New Zealanders are making a fuss, too.

That's just nuts.  Since their Kelly Clarkson gigs go through late September, that means (since they started their current tour in March) sixth months plus solid, with gigs anywhere from 2-4 times a week, usually in different cities, or even countries, each night.

That's too much.  Aside from being dangerous to their voices, they may just collapse from exhaustion.  And side projects or even just new PTX videos seems unlikely.

(edited)

That's just nuts.  Since their Kelly Clarkson gigs go through late September, that means (since they started their current tour in March) sixth months plus solid, with gigs anywhere from 2-4 times a week, usually in different cities, or even countries, each night.

That's too much.  Aside from being dangerous to their voices, they may just collapse from exhaustion.  And side projects or even just new PTX videos seems unlikely.

Though I'm very elated to have them visit my neck of the woods, finally, I do wonder if it's just too much workload. They will need to go out again for Winter tour too, to promote their new LP album. 

I know that they are still young, but I see on twitter that they have this or that health problem (someone posted a short clip where Kirstie's mike didn't turn off properly during one of Kevin's cello performance, and she could be heard saying "My voice hurts a lot")

I hope that they won't burn out, especially since they are on the rise now. They seem like a savvy group and very mature about their career trajectory, so I hope my worry is just all air. 

Edited by debbydeb
  • Love 1
(edited)

NBD... 2015 Top Billboard 200 Album finalists for the Billboard Music Awards.

I say about 70% chance Sam Smith wins that, and maybe 20% chance Taylor Swift does and 5% Ed Sheeran. Maroon 5 and PTX maybe split the rest (in other words... not a chance).

If it were just based on sales Swift would have it locked up, but... this is kind of Smith's cultural moment.

Edited by Kromm
(edited)

Oh, I'm confident they won't get a sniff at a win ("It's an honor just to be nominated.")...but it's still telling that a Christmas album from an a cappella group made the final cut. Is PTX well-regarded enough that the powers-that-be thought not naming them as a finalist would be bad form? Is someone trying to make a statement in acknowledging a (Platinum-certified) a cappella album?

ETA: Just saw a tweet from Scott that mentioned PTX has also been nominated as a Top Billboard 200 Artist. Again, no chance of winning...but the company they're keeping nowadays.

Edited by SrPab-PTV
  • Love 2

Oh, I'm confident they won't get a sniff at a win ("It's an honor just to be nominated.")...but it's still telling that a Christmas album from an a cappella group made the final cut. Is PTX well-regarded enough that the powers-that-be thought not naming them as a finalist would be bad form? Is someone trying to make a statement in acknowledging a (Platinum-certified) a cappella album?

ETA: Just saw a tweet from Scott that mentioned PTX has also been nominated as a Top Billboard 200 Artist. Again, no chance of winning...but the company they're keeping nowadays.

I think it's also based on the most sales or appearance on high rank billboard charts? It's really hard not to include them in these two categories when they have stellar chart performance the whole of last year.

But I notice that they are not yet chosen for the 'main' Top Artist roster (not just top billboard).

However, it is an amazing achievement nonetheless. Oh the company you keep!

They must be so excited to get the news when they land.

Happened to just stumble upon this forum and am just jazzed and thankful to have found an actual forum for Pentatonix.  I am a TWOP refugee from the Grey's Forum. I can now exhale.

"Found" them after Mary Did You Know showed up on my Facebook news feed and followed them to the Sing Off #3 season and now spend an inordinate amount of time going on Pentatonix You Tube benders.  

I cannot believe how I didn't realize the beauty and wonder that is them when SO3 originally aired (probably due to lack of headphones).  I now continuously sport a pair of Skull Candys just to make sure I can appreciate that thing that they do properly.

I don't pretend to be able to discuss them as analytically and intelligently as you all do, but if it has to do with them, I'm in.  The bad thing is I'm not even performance critical.

• Love 2

Nope, transferred over as Geeze (hard g).  I, too, "love the noises they make."  This forum answers so many of the questions I've had about their inner workings and arrangement process but (since I am a complete dunce at it) it baffles me how they can write and execute their originals which I have to admit I love more than most of the covers.

They are beasts at performing, they are BEASTS at arranging.  It just seems "surreal" that they can write like they do.  Since I can't even aspire to choir nerd, they make me feel like an UN-trained monkey.

I was a band nerd, not choir, but I have loved TSO since season 2, when I discovered it (I got caught up on S1 on YouTube after that). When S3 started, I liked a lot of the different groups, but nobody made me sit up and say "Wow!!" As an first-wave Gen Xer, I was completely unfamiliar with PTX's first two songs, so neither made me think anything other than that what they were doing was interesting but nothing outstanding (even the full scratch on the Kesha song didn't get me to realize how unusual it was, since the only a cappella knowledge I have is what I see on TSO).

But, when they did "Video Killed the Radio Star", which I do know relatively well, I literally sat up and said, "What was that?!?" and got all excited about them for the first time. Every week after that, I could not wait for them to appear and impress me all over again.

After they won and then took off on YouTube, I have been strangely invested in their success, so that I feel very parent-ish towards them now!

• Love 2

They are definitely the featured artists after the lead act, which is like being the "...and" cast member at the end of the opening credits of a tv show (aka, #2 after the lead, who is listed first in the credits). There is another opening act for Clarkson--I feel sorry that that guy isn't being mentioned, but I guess it just shows the potential power of the PTX name.

@PTXofficial has a tweet from yesterday saying they've added a tour date of June 7 in Cebu, Philippines. I think Filipino Pentaholics made themselves heard loudly and clearly.

Edited by SrPab-PTV
  • Love 1

Hmm...I went back to @PTXofficial and there is a tweet about them changing the date of the Manila show from Fri, 6/5 to Sat, 6/6. I thought it was to accommodate Kevin (SDA).

They are definitely the featured artists after the lead act, which is like being the "...and" cast member at the end of the opening credits of a tv show (aka, #2 after the lead, who is listed first in the credits). There is another opening act for Clarkson--I feel sorry that that guy isn't being mentioned, but I guess it just shows the potential power of the PTX name.

I might be too literal here, but do you mean PTX is singing after Kelly sings? Or did you mean "after" as in "other than"?

I only ask because I'm toying with the idea of going just to see them and skipping the Kelly portion of the show. So I care about the order of the singers.

and now spend an inordinate amount of time going on Pentatonix You Tube benders.

They are beasts at performing, they are BEASTS at arranging.  It just seems "surreal" that they can write like they do.

I love these posts, Geeze.  From one addict to another, I get you.

I was thinking the other day that it is remarkable how their singing that gets to me at a very deep, gut level, when essentially they are singing popular music.  Before this, it was mainly Requiems and arias, and such, which could give me chills from hearing mere, unadorned voices.

• Love 1

I was thinking the other day that it is remarkable how their singing that gets to me at a very deep, gut level, when essentially they are singing popular music.  Before this, it was mainly Requiems and arias, and such, which could give me chills from hearing mere, unadorned voices.

ToxicUnicorn, do you sometimes go down a YT vortex with what others upload regarding concert footage? There may be better quality examples of this on YT or Vimeo, but the "Christus Factus Est" intro to "Aha!" may give you the best of both worlds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8R4sIA32us. Their set list has it labeled as an Opera Moment leading into Aha! but I've seen it mentioned that it is sacred music.

Kevin is putting away Mr. Carter so it's just four of them singing the intro.

• Love 1

My lost weekends are happily spent on PTX You Tube concert crawls.

For the hardcore Pentaholic only, input "music -PTX full concerts" in the search bar.  A playlist of 110 (some full) older concert videos will pop up.  I tried to embed? the link but I kept getting an invalid parameters message.

Once again, happy to have found a place to indulge my....................I hesitate to say obsession because it's waving at obsession in the rear view mirror.  My son keeps threatening to unsubscribe from their You Tube channel because if I like them they can't be that cool according to him.  The people at work eyeroll at my Pentatonix-as-a-metaphor-for-life examples. 

I want to, but will not, get them individual-sized tees that read PTX:  Acapella Thug Life..................wait for it...........in their various favoite colors.

Edited by Geeze
  • Love 1

I was wrong about the Phillipine shows--they only changed the Manila show, but added the other one. Sorry about the error!!

Takalotti, they are definitely opening for Kelly Clarkson, but there is another guy who is also opening for her, so I'm guessing it'll be the other guy, then PTX, then Kelly. What I was trying to say was that having PTX billed as "Kelly Clarkson w/Pentatonix" was (IMO) the equivalent of, say, NCIS's opening credits listing Mark Harmon first, the other younger members of the cast in a specified order, and then the other "big name" of the cast as "...and David McCallum" at the end of the credits.

Edited by Sharpie66

Just saw a tweet from @ptxnewsandstuff regarding PTX's appearance on Italy's Got Talent sometime during the May 7 semi-final. The article linked to in the tweet is in Italian. I pasted in the first paragraph into Google Translate...and all I could reasonably determine was a May 7 appearance/performance.

ETA: There's another tweet that has a link to this.

Edited by SrPab-PTV

Just saw a tweet from @ptxnewsandstuff regarding PTX's appearance on Italy's Got Talent sometime during the May 7 semi-final. The article linked to in the tweet is in Italian. I pasted in the first paragraph into Google Translate...and all I could reasonably determine was a May 7 appearance/performance.

ETA: There's another tweet that has a link to this.

ANOTHER appearance?  Geez.

Have we learned yet how the hell these kids are going to survive what seems like 8 months solid of travel, concerts and appearances?  It still doesn't compute to me, and they're only about 2 months in. 

At least at the Kelly Clarkson tour, they won't be playing a full set I don't think; and they start earlier so they can rest (or party) earlier. But I am also worried, especially since we've already seen Avi, Scott, and Kirstie go down with some health problems this tour.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's a shame there isn't a copy of lets say... the original cast soundtrack equivalent for us to listen to ahead of time.

The whole thing may suck though.  I know the Brits love their pop stars that nobody else on the planet listens to, but Gary Barlow (the composer of Finding Neverland and an English pop star in a group called Take That), isn't really any good.

Here's a review of the show, by the way: Finding Neverland review – Gary Barlow's dull songs sink muddled show

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I'm sure I'll be getting the PTX song from that album, but I don't think I'll be investing in the whole thing.

I just saw this quote about PTX in a New Yorker article about the ICCA competition (collegiate a cappella competition that the big finale of the first Pitch Perfect film is based on): "Carl Taylor, who was running the soundboard, was introduced to the competitors as the soundman for Pentatonix, the a-cappella pop group that hovers over a-cappella competitions like Mozart over a Mozart festival. “If he’s good enough to mike Pentatonix, he’s good enough for the I.C.C.A.,” Amanda Newman, the executive director of Varsity Vocals, which organized the event, said."

• Love 1

I wonder if there's some real Canadian acapella group out there that resents these (mostly) Texans were cast as the Canadian group?

When I first heard that PTX is going to be in pitch perfect 2, I thought they'd be there as a cameo of themselves. Maybe as guest judges, or guest performer like they did in the past two seasons of the Sing Off. I know that the Bellas already have someone in the mentor role, but PTX could've had a small part acting as "mentor" (like at the Sing Off S4) to the Worlds finalists (but I guess that'd take too long for shoots, retakes, and ADR post-production....)

Meanwhile, Pentaholics from Canada on Tumblr seems happy that PTX is representing their country.

Not sure about non-Pentaholics or proper acappella groups. 

Not sure if this counts as a case of "Don't be that guy" (tm PCU), but I plan on wearing my PTX shirt when we go to PP2.

I still don't get how they can be in the competition and not win. I know they aren't playing themselves, but they're still going to sound incredible.

I remember a video or something where Scott was cute, saying how they were in PP2 but didn't have any lines and how that was probably a good thing.

• Love 1

Not sure if this counts as a case of "Don't be that guy" (tm PCU), but I plan on wearing my PTX shirt when we go to PP2.

I still don't get how they can be in the competition and not win. I know they aren't playing themselves, but they're still going to sound incredible.

I remember a video or something where Scott was cute, saying how they were in PP2 but didn't have any lines and how that was probably a good thing.

From the PTX featurette and also the B Rolls of PP2, I'm guessing they lose on the theatrical marks (there's only 5 of them, by far the smallest group I've seen in the trailers/featurettes/special contents; also they're the least choreographed).

All the others seem to have choreo and acrobatics etc that makes it look like Acappella crossed with Cheerleading.

I don't think the movie has to actually explain why they lose.  They're likely just part of a montage of performances by different groups.

Think of any random episode of Glee where they were in a competition, if not PP1.  The narrative of the movie just has to SAY that the Bellas are better (and maybe show crowds cheering).  They don't actually have to be.  Frankly, we're just supposed to believe what we are told.

The narrative of the movie just has to SAY that the Bellas are better (and maybe show crowds cheering).  They don't actually have to be.  Frankly, we're just supposed to believe what we are told.

F!@# it...I'm being asked to suspend disbelief when I don't want to :-\

I think it's the same situation that occurred in Drumline (outing myself as a very old band geek).  The Morris Brown drumline and some of the other college drumlines killed it on their drum cadences but the "Atlanta A&T" drumline was supposed to win so they used some footage that was not as jaw-dropping stellar for the movie.

My problem is how ya gonna get some footage of PTX that is less than stellar?  The universe will not allow this.  I'm thinking they go out on a technicality like one group did in the first Pitch Perfect, if I'm remembering correctly.

• Love 2

This band geek (as opposed to choir nerd--my older sister was in the choir, and since I did the opposite of anything she did, I joined the band) loves your Drumline analogy, Geeze!!

They have to do something like that to make sure that the Canadians don't win. I'm looking forward to the film, either way, and will be seeing it opening weekend.

• Love 1
(edited)

Since this World Championship Of A Cappella (or however the event is styled) has nothing to do winter sports, the chances of "Canada" winning greatly drops...he says jokingly. That said, of course I'm watching it and will revel in the 5-60 seconds of screen time PTX gets.

I just read an article (stumbled upon it and now can't find the link to it) where Deke Sharon said that the Bellas have been a group for a few years since the last movie (many of them are supposed to be college seniors). He had another a cappella boot camp where the actresses practiced advanced vocal techniques. So, their group sound should be good enough to make us believe that they are worthy competitors--especially against Das Sound Machine.

Hmm...what technicality: Mitch vomits on-stage? Avi was once paid to sing at some kid's birthday party and is an ineligible pro (assuming this World Championship is an event for amateurs)? Kevin couldn't possibly make the sounds he makes and it is discovered that he's using a miniature vocoder?

Edited by SrPab-PTV
(edited)

@ptxnewsandstuff comes through again: PTX on IGT! Note the disclaimer about the sound discrepancy--being there in person vs streamed to TV.

Also, I think this may be the first time "Daft Punk" has been performed live on TV.

Edited by SrPab-PTV
  • Love 1
(edited)

Hmm...what technicality: Mitch vomits on-stage? Avi was once paid to sing at some kid's birthday party and is an ineligible pro (assuming this World Championship is an event for amateurs)? Kevin couldn't possibly make the sounds he makes and it is discovered that he's using a miniature vocoder?

.............or that Kevin is in fact an anthropomorphic non-miniature vocoder (whatever that is).

.............or that Kevin is discovered to be sporting a cleverly disguised set of Borg implants as I have suspected all along.

.............or that during the qualifying physical they find that Avi has no detectable heartbeat and is in fact an android as they indicated in Love Again.

.............or that they find that second throat that Avi and Kevin (really all of them have) and they just pretend to require vocal rest or need all the medicaments they tote around.

Although, now that I think about it, does entry in the ICCA's actually require you to be human?  And with regard to Avi, he would have to be grandfathered in as he has been allowed to compete in the past (because I promise you to get that championship ring off his finger will require more firepower than Earth can presently deliver). 

Edited by Geeze
or that during the qualifying physical they find that Avi has no detectable heartbeat and is in fact an android as they indicated in Love Again.

Hee.  Another possibility: unsportsmanlike conduct off the stage?  I agree, it can't be about the performance itself.  I also think SrPab-PTV has a good guess, about not being officially amateurs.

(edited)

Pitch Perfect 2 participation

Tilting at that windmill from another angle, it does not make sense to me that the producers/directors/whoever would avail themselves of the beauty and wonder that is Pentatonix and then not allocate that resource to maximize fanbase consumption because I'm positive even Martian Pentaholics know they are going to be in the movie. (I myself am thinking about doing a multi-viewing field trip sporting a beanie, clutching two mugs like the Superfruit ones they use sometimes, undergoing a double eyebrow piercing wearing some Kirstie-high heels and dragging a cello while wearing a Love Lockdown hoodie  just to make a statement)

If I recall, they had them sing (I hope a whole song) and if I wanted rabid Pentaholics throwing money at the thing multiple times I would at least include the whole song footage in the movie and not just use them in a montage of other a cappella groups.

Note:  I hadn't read the post above before I wrote mine so I am both right and wrong.  Go me.

Edited by Geeze
  • Love 2
(edited)

Pssst: If you don't already know, PTX will be presenters at the Billboard Music Awards on Sunday, May 17 (broadcast on ABC beginning at 8PM ET).

Regarding the PP2 soundtrack, I know PTX are on track 12--are they also on tracks 13 and/or 14?

Edited by SrPab-PTV