Type keyword(s) to search

Pentatonix: Season 3 Champs

And Superfruit has another vid up today! Sexy Ladies:

(One thing I am loving about these videos is the continuing theme of the guys (or their surrogates) walking on and off at the beginning and end of the song, which is consistent except for the beginning of Imaginary Parties.)

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2

The Down KOver made me feel all my feelings--enough that I bought the single after one listen.

I wonder how much input Scott and Mitch have with respect to the look and feel of the Part 1 music vids. Do they suggest only a general idea/concept, or do they have a say in some of the details, too? Or is that left to the director and Superfruit just show up and sing?

If they've already got a new bass singer does that mean the new person's voice is on some, or all, of the 10 new tracks on APC Deluxe? I'd prepared myself for Avi's last public performance with PTX 1.0 to be their Sep 3 concert. Then they go and announce a Christmas tour. When I heard about these things I got confused. The new person will be on the December tour...and the album...and the tv special?

I just saw an interview with Scott and Mitch where they are playing it like they are still looking for a bass. Who knows if that's the truth, or if they are just saying it until they are ready for the announcement. I just couldn't see them locking into a tour without a bass singer included in the group, whether it is Avi or a new guy. 

I don't think Avi's touring with them in December. For awhile, my gut's been telling me that they have a new bass...but it's not the right time to make the announcement. Do they introduce this person mid-September, or before APC Deluxe drops in October?

I think Kevin's acoustic cello is "Beyonce". His electric cello is "Mr. Carter". As far as I can tell, "Mr. Carter" has been Kevin's sidekick for the state fair concerts. I think he'll accompany Kevin for their Christmas tour, too.

Edited by SrPab

A few tidbits for a Friday:

• This adapted arrangement of Sing being taught to attendees at the 2017 Harmony University probably works better for (Barbershop) choruses than quartets. Instant Classic won the 2015 International Quartet Championship of the Barbershop Harmony Society.
  • Future Friends Scott and Mitch slugged it out--and nobody won until later.
  • Hey Guapo, a new collab between Play-N-Skillz and Kirstin, dropped.
Edited by SrPab
  • Love 1

Here are the last few minutes of the final performance of Pentatonix with Avi.

ETA, also, another angle (further away) of the last two songs, Light in the Hallway and S

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2

The boys just KILLED it on James Corden!!! 

They sang "Hurry Up" with a bunch of dancers, and they kept up with the pro dancers. I also loved the diversity of the dancers, including a not-skinny woman, a rarity in dancers on stage. And the two guys flirting with Scott and particularly Mitch were awesome. You could tell the camera operator loved Mitch, because he kept getting the close-ups. 

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

Part 2 dropped today. Don't forget to get the two bonus tracks if you are just getting Part 2 instead of the full album.

First video: How You Feeling? Fourth take, and according to Scott, the drunkest take of the lot, and he was very, very drunk, not acting. 

• Love 2

I downloaded the full album (with the bonus tracks). For now, my faves from (what would have been) Part II (had I gotten it separately) are Deny U and Goodbye From Lonely. Overall, I really like the album. To my ear, not a stinker in the bunch.

• Love 1

I try but I can't deny: Deny U. I've reassessed and this is my obsession from the entire album. I love it the most out of all the tracks from Future Friends. By the by, you can barely hear Scott for most of Deny U's run time. I can't tell if the mix engineer mixed his vocals lower, or made Mitch's vocals more prominent in the mix. I should bust out the headphones again.

(GUY.exe and Fantasy are also getting repeat listens right now, as I'm in my lyric memorizing phase.)

On 8/26/2017 at 10:58 AM, Sharpie66 said:

"Mr. Carter"?

On 8/26/2017 at 7:59 PM, SrPab said:

I think Kevin's acoustic cello is "Beyonce". His electric cello is "Mr. Carter". As far as I can tell, "Mr. Carter" has been Kevin's sidekick for the state fair concerts. I think he'll accompany Kevin for their Christmas tour, too.

I speculated about that because if they haven't found a bass, I know that Mr. Carter temporarily subbed for Avi in the Dancing On My Own cover.  It was them but not them and still caught a bad case of the feels.

On 9/1/2017 at 8:47 PM, SrPab said:

A few tidbits for a Friday:

• This adapted arrangement of Sing being taught to attendees at the 2017 Harmony University probably works better for (Barbershop) choruses than quartets. Instant Classic won the 2015 International Quartet Championship of the Barbershop Harmony Society.
  • Future Friends Scott and Mitch slugged it out--and nobody won until later.
  • Hey Guapo, a new collab between Play-N-Skillz and Kirstin, dropped.

More respect for their creative process than ever because that looked really difficult to me.  Imagine their arranging process.

9 hours ago, SrPab said:

That's an easy way to cheat the four person membership of a five person group. A situation where they a.) don't even sing and b.) operate as solo performers anyway.

If it's all up to cheesing it up, getting the audience on your side, and going over the top, as this show usually is about, I imagine Mitch has the victory locked up. Kirtsen will at least get to sexy herself up for one performance, and at least one person, possibly two, will perform in drag.  

======================

Does this video clip seem to suggest that maybe Superfruit's continuing friendship with Betty Who is why they dance in their performances now?

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Found this interesting interview with Ben Bram, with a lot of personal history and discussions of how he arranges, records, etc.  There are several bits about his interactions with Pentatonix.  In the first video, he talks about first meeting Scott and helping put the group together around the 15 min mark.  Interesting tidbits:  Ben tried to recruit Avi for the Backbeats in Sing-off Season 2.

The second video is more about recording techniques:

• Love 3

That reminds me, in addition to kilomperrara's post above, I listened to this head/voice podcast awhile back. A lot of the same ground is covered in their talk with Ben but there are a few interesting tidbits. Evan and Kayla's interviewing technique could use some polish (and their questions could be worded more succinctly) but it's a decent SoundCloud podcast about a cappella, in general.

The next season of Lip Sync Battle airs this coming January. Assuming no schedule changes, word is the PTX ep should air in Feb. 2018.

ETA: Keep an eye out for a GRAMMY nominations announcement from the Recording Academy later this month. Will PTX get another nom (most likely in the Best Arrangement, Instrumental or A Cappella category)?

• Love 1

Thanks for those Ben Bram interviews! 

Interesting that Kevin's "Julie-O" video was going viral in the orchestral world as well as the a cappella one in early 2011. And Ben was being very diplomatic about the outside engineers and mixers who were working on the original album. 

• Love 1

So this is like a tryout period?

That's what I think...considering the messaging about this seems to be carefully worded: "...joining us for our holiday tour...", "...taping our tv special...", "...you can hear him on Deck The Halls...".

However, I also think this trial/probation period might go both ways. Team PTX and/or RCA may want to use these end-of-year activities to see if Matt really is a great fit--and a net positive for them. Likewise, Matt may use these experiences to consider if he can handle this huge change in his life and do a cost-benefit analysis to determine that being part of PTX long-term is a net positive for him. Either way, these are interesting times for the band and brand--and I don't mean that as a back-handed compliment.

• Love 2

My mom's in town, and yesterday, we visited with a friend of hers from nursing school. She lives in downtown Chicago, and we started talking about shows she has seen there. I started to say how my favorite group, "they're an acapella group called Pentatonix..." and I was going to say how they sold out the Chicago Theater, but she interrupted me with, "I LOVE Pentatonix!!" So we all geeked out over PTX, two 78-year-olds and this 51-year-old. 

• Love 2

Okay.  Acappella For Dummies time again.  So is Matt Sallee a bass or a rounder out of the sound?  I haven't found any you tube footage to make an intelligent guess.  Are they going with an entire new dynamic which would make sense I think, but I need some input.

Matt's singing voice (when he sings lyrics) doesn't say "bass vocalist" to me. But in some of those YT vids with him, he's listed as the bass. I think his bass-iness comes through when he's doing a bass line/imitating a bass guitar, as opposed to singing lyrics in bass voice.

By the way, Matt is on the Deck The Halls and How Great Thou Art tracks. An A Cappella Academy camper, Reno Selmser, is the bass on Let It Snow. I think Away In A Manger has no bass/is a 4-part song...and Hallelujah on this Deluxe edition has the String Mob.

• Love 1

Are the new Xmas songs available on iTunes, or am I just missing seeing them? I only see the entire deluxe album at Amazon, but nothing at iTunes. I just want to get the new songs instead of buying the entire album.

Just tried searching iTunes a minute ago...using search term 'pentatonix' did not return a result for the deluxe edition. But, when I searched using 'pentatonix christmas deluxe', it came up. Also, in PTX's tweet (and, I assume, their FB post) is a link to buy. Clicking on that link opens a page with buy options and one of them is iTunes. Clicking on iTunes from that page takes you directly to the A Pentatonix Christmas Deluxe page in iTunes.

I'm prognosticating: The November video release will be How Great Thou Art ft. Jennifer Hudson; the December vid release will be Deck The Halls.

Wishful thinking: Perhaps Jennifer Hudson will be on their Xmas tv special.

Thanks--I did follow the iTunes link from the Away in the Manger on YT. Got the new songs downloaded and added to the PTXmas playlist. I really like the four new tracks, but have the same reaction that I did to the last String Mob enhanced song--too much instrumentation loses the subtlety of the original PTX arrangement.

Edited by Sharpie66

I guess not all of Leno's bridges with NBC were burned? Didn't his departure from The Tonight Show have some acrimony?

19 hours ago, Kromm said:

Leno at least can tell a joke, even if the subject matter is usually tame and non-controversial. 

And this is why he's on PTX's Christmas special. I wonder if he was brought on to introduce each song/segment (and maybe provide a bit of comic relief here and there). With Darci Lynn (she's a kid ventriloquist, right?) also appearing, this show feels more like a Christmas/variety special hybrid.

Edited by SrPab

That doesn't make you a bad fan. Is it lack of Avi? A 4-part arrangement? I tolerate the song, in general. I'm cool with PTX's version only because I like the vocals. But the song itself...

How Great Thou Art is another song that I merely "like". We'll see if Jennifer's vocals/bombast make me appreciate it more, or less.

Edited by SrPab
8 hours ago, SrPab said:

That doesn't make you a bad fan. Is it lack of Avi? A 4-part arrangement? I tolerate the song, in general. I'm cool with PTX's version only because I like the vocals. But the song itself...

How Great Thou Art is another song that I merely "like". We'll see if Jennifer's vocals/bombast make me appreciate it more, or less.

I don't like the arrangement, and they changed some of the words, too.

Edited by Silver Raven

Interesting article announcing the new tv special, including this about last year’s special:

Last holiday season, "A Pentatonix Christmas Special" averaged a 1.4 rating, 5 share in adults 18-49 and 7.5 million viewers overall, according to "live plus same day" ratings from Nielsen Media Research. That improved the timeslot versus NBC's averages for the prior season by +27% in 18-49 (1.4 vs 1.1) and +1.5 million persons or +25% in total viewers (7.5 million vs. 6.0 million). It also delivered a strong upscale audience, indexing at a 127 among adults 18-49 living in homes with $100K+ incomes (with 100 representing an average concentration of those homes)

https://www.broadwayworld.com/amp/c.php?url=NBC-Presents-A-VERY-PENTATONIX-CHRISTMAS-1127-20171020

• Love 2

Great pic--I really like the composition of the shot! Also, if you guys don't already know, PTX will again be part of NBC's evening broadcast of the Rockefeller Center tree lighting on Nov. 29 (two days after the PTX Christmas special airs).

(Are there any rumors of PTX appearing on The Voice to perform with Jennifer Hudson?)

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 2