Type keyword(s) to search

Pentatonix: Season 3 Champs

I'm still in recovery mode...

• "IT. NEVER. HAS. TO. BE. A. CAPPELLA."
  • Praise emoji to PTX for doing what they do best. We all know there are people out there who just don't/won't like a cappella under most circumstances (save Christmas carols or as a comedy bit). There are also those who won't accept contemporary/modern/pop a cappella. But PTX still got (another) standing o' for a public performance.
  • Harrison Ford asked to introduce PTX.
  • Team PTX (mostly Jonathan Kalter?) does it again with the cross-branding of the Fiat commercial. People got to hear and see the faces of a cappella. Sing comes across as fun and invigorating. I guess that's the takeaway image Fiat wants us to have, too.
  • PP2 won for Best Soundtrack. A cappella wins again. (PTX gets a small piece of this since they're on the soundtrack.)
  • Hey, Billboard writer: Water is too wet; winter is too cold; summer is too hot. Iconic instrumental scores should be performed with comprehensible lyrics that I can sing along to.

Besides PTX, I also got verklempt over Celine Dion's Paris tribute.

• Love 1

"Harrison Ford asked to introduce PTX." Really?!? Wow, that's cool!

When they first announced they were doing this Star Wars thing, I jokingly thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be funny if they pulled out the lyrics to the theme that Bill Murray used in the old SNL skit of his lounge singer character?" Sounds like that's actually what Billboard wanted...

ETA: Forbes had an article of Fiat's ad campaign that mentioned the PTX ad in passing, but it's an interesting look at their strategy: http://www.forbes.com/sites/dalebuss/2015/11/22/fiat-chrysler-takes-the-stage-again-in-ads-during-american-music-awards/

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

Back home!!

Celine Dion made me cry. I don't understand a word if French, but the emotion in her voice... so real.

Watched PTX on a better screen and better speakers. Acamazing! Gets even better with every viewing.

I learned my lesson with CMA and scifi fanboys. I'm so proud I didn't scroll to any comment section of Star Wars.

I didn't know Harrison Ford actually asked to introduce Pentatonix. He really is a fan!

• Love 1

Re: Harrison Ford asking to intro PTX...Mike Grassi tweeted that, perhaps spoiling a surprise?

I also saw a few tweets regarding wardrobe/costume changes for PTX's performance. Overall, I liked Candice's styling choices for each of them--and that she went with clothes that looked like costumes, but weren't.

I wonder how much the Leia buns weighed. I know Kirstin doesn't have *that amount* of real hair on her head.

ETA: Any of you tried to imagine Scott folding himself into a Fiat? There's at least one sunroof model, right?

Edited by SrPab

By the by, I got little sleep last night due to PTX-induced giddiness. This morning, I'm giddy again...but this time it's from reading tweets (mostly from Pentaholics) who are dragging Billboard for proclaiming PTX's performance was "too a cappella". As one person's opinion, I have no issue with the article writer for not liking it. But the cockles of my cold dead heart are warmed by this spirited defense of the art form, particularly from the under-30 crowd, as opposed to being apathetic about it.

Again, sentiments from those who dislike a cappella are always a click away. But nowadays it just seems like more and more (aca-neutral) people are gaining an appreciation and respect for the art form. I don't know how long the PTX/a cappella honeymoon will last, so I savor every bit of it...because, again: It never has to be a cappella.

Edited by SrPab

At least one Star Wars fan loved it--this review came from darksideoftheforce.com:

...For those who think that teeny boppers and “those young people” only like One Direction and pop music, please do enjoy the sounds of an entire audience of them going wild at about the halfway point for the full symphony orchestra’s arrival.

Pentatonix promised going into this that the rehearsals had been “epic.” I’ve been a huge fan of them ever since they won The Sing Off Season 2 [sic] on NBC. But I’m not sure I was even prepared for how good this was going to be. They went out there and nailed it.

(Also, OMG but I want Kirstie Maldonado’s entire outfit here. All of it. The dress, the hair, the jewelry. Absolute stunner.)

• Love 1
I have to admit I am still really skeptical about properly integrating a capella with a full orchestra.... so... hopefully Kevin isn't just caught up in his own enthusiasm. The way I'm imagining this now is probably PTX opening the song with no instrumentation then the orchestra coming up behind their vocals. Of course then they're redundant/unhearable for that part, unless the orchestra goes quiet/low key later in the performance.

Pretty nice guess on the actual performance -- I was able to still hear Avi (and Kevin's cymbal percussion) even amongst the orchestra, but as far as the structure of the performance this was pretty on point.

• Love 1

I didn't know Harrison Ford actually asked to introduce Pentatonix. He really is a fan!

He slightly bungled saying the name though, like maybe it was unfamiliar to him and he was reading it off a card. So I think we need an original source for that story.  It could perhaps be as simple as him having heard a rehearsal and that convincing him.

At least he didn't say "THE Pentatonix" though.

• Love 2

[snaps fingers] That reminded me...I was in Walmart this past Saturday and what came over the PA system? CSL...the Tink version! I was in self-checkout and took my time until the song finished.

Also occurring this past Saturday was a homecoming, of sorts, for Avi. He performed Run To You with a Mt. SAC group called Singcopation. (Avi used to be a member of Mt. SAC's Fermata Nowhere men's a cappella group.)

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 1

IIRC, he was also in Singcopation. His high school chorus director told Avi, when he was deciding on which college to attend, that he'd be a fool if he didn't go to Mt. SAC to study with the head of the choral department there.

• Love 2

"The Secret Life of Pets" movie comes out in 2016 but they just released a Christmas piece featuring PTX's Winter Wonderland with Tori Kelly.

They're everywhere (taking over the ABC network specifically)

i always thought that was a really great performance/song/video and have always been shocked it didn't get more exposure (especially since Tori's own stardom has been on the rise).

Imogen Heap just tweeted this: "I just listened to the @PTXofficial cover of #JustForNow which is really good, THEN I found thei Daft Punk + Michael Jackson medleys! WOW!"

An Imogen Heap endorsement is nothing to sneeze at.

• Love 2

Yay for Imogen Heap! I remember Kevin saying that she praised their AHa also? Or am I just imagining it? High praise indeed. Imogen Heap is a great artist.

Glad to see more love for DW/WW. I still think that it should've been more successful last time round.

All in all, a great last two months of 2015!

He slightly bungled saying the name though, like maybe it was unfamiliar to him and he was reading it off a card. So I think we need an original source for that story.  It could perhaps be as simple as him having heard a rehearsal and that convincing him.

At least he didn't say "THE Pentatonix" though.

At first I thought it's just how the way some people say silent T?

I've been playing that star wars theme many times now. Like upwards of twenty? I'm putting it as a ring tone on my phone (I have to get my husband to do it for me. He likes it, btw). And I skipped past the Harrison Ford intro after the first one so I didn't really pay attention to it. 

Now that I've heard it again, he did say it like Pennetonix. :) 

Mmm.. carbs. 

The Billboard Top 200 albums list is updated.

That's Christmas to Me: #13 (up from #19)

Pentatonix: #37 (down from #29--not a bad drop at all!)

PTXmas: #190 (from not on the chart last week)

ETA: LA Times had a rather, um, interesting take on the Star Wars performance:

7: Pentatonix performed in a four-minute informercial for ABC's parent company.It was an impressive cross-platform maneuver -- and a performance you have to watch to believe. Vocal group Pentatonix delivered a tribute to "Star Wars," which was as silly as it sounds. In 2050 this will blow up on the Internet as confirmation of how cheesy the '10s were. But if you work in marketing, today's your day to use the word "synergy" at the afternoon meeting: The AMAs were broadcast on ABC, whose parent company, Disney, also owns the "Star Wars" franchise.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

We talk about them getting credit and recognition in the music industry as a whole, well I think Sunday night put that worry to bed with a death star sized shovel.  However self serving the Star Wars tie in as a whole was, I don't think Disney or ABC would have given the assignment to lightweights.

And based on a LOT of the performances I endured Sunday night and understanding haters are gonna hate, they slayed it, resurrected it and slayed it again.  Based on their own Twitter aftermaths, even THEIR minds are still blown.  What's a more epic word for EPIC!!?!!

• Love 2

I loved their time to shine--especially getting new fans based on the exposure.

I'd just like to see them have a televised performance on a major awards show where the show's producers take the next step and have PTX perform a complete song...without an orchestra. I'm fine with the Star Wars treatment because Williams' musical output is mostly/entirely instrumental scores. But, their Kennedy Center Honors Tom Hanks' tribute included an orchestra. Their Star-Spangled Salute performance was in collaboration with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. Their brief sing on the 2015 CMAs was...brief (as wonderful as it was).

Come on, televised awards shows, take the plunge. Contemporary a cappella (especially the kind with a dedicated rhythm section) and orchestras don't really mesh that well. I believe the kind of music PTX creates can stand on its own.

ETA: In case you don't know it already, PTX will be on NBC's Rockefeller Tree Lighting ceremony airing 2 Dec., at 8/7c PM.

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 2

Numbers are in for this week for TCTM. Big jump this week with 57-61k (60-64k SPS) sold, could end up in the top 5 on Billboard. (Early projections, still have Thanksgiving coming up, last push for #'s)

Meanwhile Adele will probably rule the charts for the next year, record breaking +3.1M sales.

Also, Sony's hosting a virtual reality experience thing with PTX next Monday (11/30). Head out to any of the selected Westfield malls to meet PTX virtually, they'll also be singing Hark!... - smarturl.it/PTXVR

Edited by ptxnewsandstuff
  • Love 3

ETA: LA Times had a rather, um, interesting take on the Star Wars performance:

I don't think it's totally unfair to call it silly. That's not the same thing as saying it was badly done, and even here I think a few of us have referred to it as a convenient prime time commercial for the movie (like it really NEEDED one though?) 

Don't forget that they're also on the Charlie Brown Christmas special next Monday, 8:00 pm (Eastern).

See now THAT'S going to be epic!

Do we know which song they're going to be doing? I hope it's not an instrumental (like the main Peanuts theme), because people newly exposed to them may wind up thinking that's some kind of specialty.

Logically "Christmastime is Here" should be theirs, with their Xmas song background.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

When I heard they would be on the Charlie Brown Christmas special, I thought "wow, they would kill the Vince Guaraldi theme".  It would fit them, kinda like the dance of the sugar plum fairy, much better than the Star Wars theme, which is so brassy and bombastic.  However, I will say that they did an outstanding job on the SW piece, from what I have seen on video.  They sounded so full, much more so than five people people (four actually) singing bah's and duh's should.  But, you are also right, "Christmastime is Here" would work really well.

• Love 3

soooooooo many TV appearances. I'm crying over here both in extreme happiness and extreme sadness of not getting streaming. I'm stalking your youtube channel @ptxnewsandstuff.

TCTM to go no4 on the charts according to some predictions. 4!!!!
(or even 3 with the way Made in the AM is falling)

MY BABIES!!!
(sorry, I've been hanging around Pentatonix tumblr tags too much today)

PS: I really hope they get to perform at the Grammy's!

Even a CMA-type thing I will take. 

Edited by debbydeb
  • Love 1

@ptxnewsandstuff, 

THANK YOU! that's amazing. Maybe in the nosebleed section of the audience, they don't care anymore, since it's too far away from the stage? I guess they vet for professional cameras with long lenses, but waved phones in? 

I agree that it sounds even better here, this person sure has some good phone to record it on. Only... vertical. :) nvm.

One thing that I appreciate with this arrangement is that I think they make a conscious decision not to use certain instruments that Kevin can do the sounds of. 

Like the cymbals. They just do the tympanies and let Kevin do the cymbals crash, for instance. 

But thank goodness for the arrangement. 

I think whoever arranged it is smart and does appreciate what Pentatonix can do. Thank you. 

Unfortunately there's not much you can do to help Avi, as you can't really take out all the Bass instruments. 

• Love 3

See, that live recording definitely was better than the televised version in terms of the mix heard after the orchestra came in--I certainly heard Kevin a LOT more, and I suspect Avi would be audible if I were listening on something better than this quite bad tablet speakers (which always lose the bass).

• Love 1

Question.

In the supposedly live broadcast, you could hear the audience start to cheer and applaud after Avi's (dat Avi doe!!) solo part before Mitch's (eternal slayage) solo part, but in the phone recording you don't hear anything.  Anyone got an idea why?

Kirstie looked and sounded better than anyone on the planet, Scott's killing me vocals and light saber Kevin (drops mic and walks off stage).

@ptxnewsandstuff,

THANK YOU! that's amazing.

I was hesitant about the Star Wars-AMA cross promotional thing.  That performance gave me chills, though, and I'll even admit I got irrationally happy when the orchestra came in.  (That's some powerful conditioning from my childhood!)

I have mixed feelings about all of these appearances.  I still think of PTX - and each of the members - as this extraordinarily precious treasure, like something you'd guard carefully like The Crown Jewels, or a rarity you'd find in the Enchanted Forest (I'm watching Once Upon a Time right now).  That's still the way I feel when I listen to them, as though I'm lucky to hear them.  So, to know they're kind of going for mass appeal and these huge promotional opportunities creates a bit of cognitive dissonance for me.

At the same time, I'm happy for them, and it looks like they're rapidly becoming the go-to, able to do anything group --- which they can, of course.  It's just ... weird.

Awesome week for PTX!

TCTM sold 61k (#4, #5 SPS)

Pentatonix sold 21k #14 (26k SPS, #21). Very steady these past few weeks, compare that to the other major artists who have seen major drops.

Lots of movement on iTunes charts. TCTM was #4 but Black Friday sales from other artists including PTX has pushed it to #14 currently. The standard edition of Pentatonix is sitting at #10.

First American Top 40 song with CSL this week (#37 on Pop Radio).

HAC radio is still spinning CSL, #26

Joy to the World is getting some airplay jumping to #29 on AC radio (#37 CSL)

• Love 2

2 ALBUM IN THE TOP 15!

Excuse the all caps but amazing news.

What about PTXmas. I hope people are discovering it too.

The Christmas album I kind of expect, since last years extremely well placement... the amazing news is their Pentatonix album. Wow. Hanging on very tightly there. And despite being available on many streaming platform, its pure sales is amazing! People do shell out for the songs or ALBUMs they like, despite the streaming-scaremongering. I am so proud of them.

Edited by debbydeb
  • Love 1

YouTube Wormhole led me to another performance of theirs I've never seen before. 3 years old and 319,539 hits means it's been seen, but not THAT widely--the song is on the channel of the guy who wrote it (that said, it's the single most watched video on that channel).

• Love 2

I attended a local skating rink holiday ice skating exhibition, with novice skaters to a couple of fairly accomplished skaters.  There was an hour or so of various group and individual skating demonstrations to holiday music. Two of the pieces of music used were Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy and Mary Did You Know.  So, their music is good for the skaters.

• Love 4

Have any of you taken a gander at any number of YT vids where people program the timing of their outdoor Christmas light patterns to sync with PTX's music?

I've also come across tweets remarking on audiophiles using PTX music to calibrate/test sound systems (home theater surround sound, etc.). And, every once in awhile I come across an online article or blog post talking about how a parent uses PTX's music to calm an ADD/ADHD child, or get the focus and attention of a child with a developmental condition (Down Syndrome or autism).

Their music shows up in more places/settings/contexts than I thought.

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 3

Yeah, the PTX Christmas light thing has been big for several years now, since virtually the moment PTXMAS came out. That same year I was seeing those videos a mere week or two after it came out (so by Thanksgiving in 2012) and it's repeated every year.  There are probably hundreds of those videos by now.

• Love 1

Kirstie AMA interview that's a bit more entertaining that some of the others (where the Interviewers didn't always seem to know exactly who Pentatonix was):

https://youtu.be/KgqV7Ii6sdE

The interviewer has spoken with the entire group several times over the past few years for Hollywire in very entertaining interviews. You can tell she really enjoys chatting with them.

• Love 2

I just got the Charlie Brown special, CMA special, and NBC tree lighting set up on my dvr.

I will confess that I am almost as excited for the Charlie Brown special to hear Kristin Chenoweth singing "Happiness" from You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown. I was lucky enough to see the revival of that show back in the '90s when it was in pre-Broadway tryouts in Chicago; she played Sally in her first big Broadway role, before Wicked. I went to the show to see Anthony Rapp and BD Wong as Charlie Brown and Linus and walked out talking about Chenoweth and Roger Bart (who played Snoopy).

How about that...PTX gave the closing performance to the Charlie Brown 50th Christmas tv special!

Merely an observation at this time but it also seems that recent PTX primetime tv appearances have them appearing in the latter half of the programs.

• Love 2

Meanwhile (since the Charlie Brown special was taped a few weeks earlier), PTX had a show in Toronto this evening. They were presented with plaques because TCTM was recently certified Platinum in Canada.

• Love 1

How about that...PTX gave the closing performance to the Charlie Brown 50th Christmas tv special!

Merely an observation at this time but it also seems that recent PTX primetime tv appearances have them appearing in the latter half of the programs.

Well the opener and closer are the big spots. I don't know if simply being in the last half means much overall if you AREN'T the closer... but since they were... then yes. That has meaning in this specific case.

Part of me still wishes it was "Christmastime Is Here", but I guess they went with something the group already had in their bag.

Vid... yo!

Plus hey... you could do worse than have Veronica Mars introduce you.

Okay... with this audience lets go with Princess Anna.

• Love 2