Type keyword(s) to search

2K15 Live Show 7: THE 2K15 FINAL

X Factor claims it'll be back next year. I'll believe it when I see it. Your finalists are Louisa (who will probably win), Che (who probably won't win), and Reggie n' Bollie (who are damn lucky to be there). Discuss.

• Love 1

Che: What does a diner and giant burgers have to do with Valerie? He was no Amy Winehouse. But it wasn't terrible. Because he can sing. But I didn't really need this in my life. And it just highlighted how Che does not dance. Weird choice. I would listen to a Che album if it was produced the right way and they found good songs for him. (Off topic but I finally listened to Ella Henderson's album and it obscures anything unique about her voice. Bad production.)

Reggie n Bollie: Worse than the Spice Girls. Wow. I don't know if it's them or the song choices but their vocals are sounding rough lately. This mashup also seemed off brand for them. Reggie n Bollie should be family friendly. Not sexual in a gross way.

Louisa Johnson: Giant choir. All the plinths. Smoke machine. Anyone still have doubts that they want her to win? I don't think it was grounded right. I'm not sure if this song exposed the weakness of her voice more or she wasn't trying as hard but I was really aware that she lacked that depth and full rounded sound I would want. There was a gulf between the vocal she thought she was giving and the one she actually gave. It wasn't horrible by any means. Just... underwhelming.

I really liked Rita Ora's hairdo this week.

Che : Che was perfectly fine tonight, although, indeed, the first song was so busy, as far as choreography went, that it only highlighted how much Che was just standing there in the middle. The duo wasn't too memorable, though.

R&B : Spice Grls medley was chaotic and vocally rough, but the crowd was with them all the way. The other medley was awkward since, in essence, R&B were only the backing vocals on both parts of the medley. Meh.

Louisa : big production, and once again, perfectly fine vocals on the first song, although I expected something slightly stronger. Song 2 was clearly the "look at this season's winner" song, even though Louisa was borderline outshone by Rita.

As for the results... well, at that point, there are what they are. It's not as if Louisa won't win, though.

• Love 1

RESULTS. And the final two are

Louisa and Reggie n Bollie.

WHAT!?! This year has been bonkers.

Makes sense.  R&B have that super-crowd appeal. People react in the moment to that "party music".  Doesn't mean it actually SELLS.  R&B are a future one-hit wonder waiting to happen. But they're in that moment now.

Louisa is one of the most marketable contestants the show has ever had.  Blond, young, pretty... actually not a bad singer. Why doesn't it make sense?  Yes, a lot of people online hate that it seemed pre-ordained and kick back against that. But I don't think the public follows that pattern.  Her voice wasn't anywhere near it's best on this show, then again neither was Che's.  Nobody was giving their best here.

The main thing Che had going for him was that in the past the Great British Public has blindly done their own version of "White Guy With Guitar" (their version is "White Guy Not Necessarily With Guitar Singing Mock Soulfully").  

• Love 2

And your X Factor winner is...

LOUISA JOHNSON. Who's surprised? No one? I thought so. We could have ended this weeks ago once it became clear that Keira couldn't hack it and they didn't want Lauren to win.

As expected, Louisa is the winner. It was very much deserved.

Che was kinda screwed over (even though he didn't stand a chance regardless). I completely agree that Valerie highlighted that he doesn't dance and it was awkward with him just standing there. I was taken back to an audition in I think it was the American X-factor where a group smashed that song in their first audition with an amazing dance routine (and then disappearing from the show with no explanation) and wished I was watching them instead of Che. His duet was horrribly boring and lacked chemistry.

I still don't get RnB. Their vocals are aweful. Maybe they sound better live? Even as a party group their vocals usually sound too weak to get me going.

Forever Young pretty much sealed the deal as that's a song completely suited for Louisa's voice and the backing singers sung most of it for RnB.

Overall I really enjoyed this season. It's one of the only times that I felt really bad for all the booted contestants and wish them all the best. I cried a few times too. The jury was so refreshing. I was ecstatic when deadweight Louis Walsh was finally dropped. There was no stupid drama and they all seem to get on really well. They were all very invested in their contestants and it showed. Simon was actually the weakest link. He's gone too soft, imo.

Edited by CloudySky

I thoroughly enjoyed this season, but I stayed offline for a lot of it.  Think it was a perfect winner, I totally get RnB (though I'd never buy an album, I appreciate them).  I actually thought they'd win, so I was surprised when they didn't.  And for the season overall...there was only one I thought was totally out of place, and he went fairly early which was nice.

The only thing that bugged me, really, was Rita towards the end.  I think she forgot it wasn't really about her, though I give her credit for not stealing all the good parts of the overplayed song from Dreamgirls.

Slightly off topic but I watched the One Direction Carpool Karaoke video from the Late Late show with James Corden and then I fell into a youtube hole of One Direction videos. I've only been keeping up with their career in the vaguest way (noticing the singles when everyone else does) but they make me nostalgic for the old X Factor. I can't believe how much they've grown up. But it also makes me remember those old video diaries and how I actually used to like and care about the contestants. 

As expected, Louisa is the winner. It was very much deserved.

If you truly thing so, then stay away from British forums (like Digital Spy for example) because poor Louisa is being savaged by that crowd (it's amazing how the Great British public can appear so nice in our overall cultural impression of them, but if you observe their online activity, they're often curiously viscous--which is doubly disturbing since barely-17 Louisa is only like a year out of her childhood).

Apparently that somewhat depressing Bob Dylan song they had her sing isn't selling at ALL in the UK--getting the worst sales figures of any winner's song ever (probably because it was pretty inappropriate to have a young girl sing it, but also because the Brits and damn tired of this show).