Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E14: Week 12: semi-final

Semi-final songs and dances:

Anita & Gleb will dance the Foxtrot to Frank Sinatra’s ‘New York, New York’ as well as perform a Salsa to ‘Feel This Moment’ by Pitbull feat. Christina Aguilera.

Georgia & Giovanni will dance a Viennese Waltz to ‘Runaway’ by The Corrs plus they will dance a Cha Cha Cha, music TBC.

Jay & Aliona are going to Charleston to ‘Doctor Jazz’ from musical Jelly’s Last Jam and perform a Viennese Waltz to Bryan Adams’ ‘Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman’?

Katie & Anton are dancing the Waltz to ‘O Mio Babbino Caro’ by Puccini as well as dance the Charleston to ‘Too Darn Hot’ from the musical Kiss Me Kate.

Kellie & Kevin are performing the American Smooth to ‘Let’s Face The Music And Dance’ by Irving Berlin plus they will perform a Rumba to ‘Songbird’ by Eva Cassidy.

Gio and Geo have had a late change of dance for reasons unknown. They were down for an Argentine Tango to traditional music, but the website was updated today (Tuesday) and Gio confirmed on Twitter they now have CCC.

• Love 2

Just as an alert for those who may not know:  Kellie and Kevin will be doing an American Smooth version of the Quickstep, not the Foxtrot.  Their song choice for the American Smooth is simply too fast to be done as a Foxtrot, so we'll be seeing what is actually a non-existent dance in DanceSport, since there's really no such thing as American Smooth Quickstep.

Katie and Anton both have good songs for their dances.  Waltz is squarely in Anton's wheelhouse, and I think Charleston will suit them both if Anton relaxes a bit and doesn't overwhelm Katie with a lot of choreography, since I think that's what really hurt Helen in her Charleston.

(edited)

Seems, from her Twitter, that Georgia is unwell. I assume they've switched to CCC to lighten the load a little. Hope she's okay.

ETA: she has 'I will survive' by Gloria Gaynor

Edited by ceebee
  • Love 1

Just as an alert for those who may not know:  Kellie and Kevin will be doing an American Smooth version of the Quickstep, not the Foxtrot.  Their song choice for the American Smooth is simply too fast to be done as a Foxtrot, so we'll be seeing what is actually a non-existent dance in DanceSport, since there's really no such thing as American Smooth Quickstep.

Certainly looks like a foxtrot American Smooth from snippets of training.

Ok, the thing I loved most about that was the Xmas song Anita sang. Never heard it before and now have to seek it out. :-)

ETA: I "liked" both of your links Ceebee, but for some reason it won't record. Even get a message saying that. ???

I liked her singing it, too. Little Donkey is a very well known children's Christmas song. It will feature in every primary school nativity concert in the UK for sure! :-)

I like this version http://youtu.be/gCNyldiwJ1A

(I can see the 'likes')

Edited by ceebee

Well, that put the cat among the pigeons a bit.

With my conspiracy theory hat on, the judges did everything they could to ensure either Katie or Anita goes home.  I suspect they don't expect both Katie and Anita in the danceoff, and whichever one is is toast and really needn't bother do their dance again.  They'll regret it if the danceoff is Georgia versus Jay.  (So will I, because I think they'll save the Last Man Standing over Georgia regardless.)

On the other hand, I'm being kind of a hypocrite, because although Kellie came into tonight as by far my least favourite but she had two lovely dances tonight and I'd probably put her at the top of the leaderboard myself based on tonight's performances alone.  One of my favourite rumbas, and such gorgeous floaty lifts in the AS.  Much as I want to see Gleb's idea of a showdance, maybe his and Anita's time has come.  I really didn't like their second dance at all (and wth were they wearing?  Did their changing rooms get mixed up with Kellie and Kevin's at the last minute?)

I loved Jay's Doctor Who and his other dance was very romantic although I got the feeling as I often do with him, that he's Concentrating Very Hard on getting the steps right, and it stops me from getting lost in it, where with some of the more flawed dancers, a few mistakes, while obviously noticed and penalised by the judges, don't always spoil the mood of the dance for me. 

For once, I wish we could have a five person final.  Let them all do their showdance and cut some of the other stuff.

I feel like we've seen a Gleb showdance several times this season. I have no desire to see another one. It is Anita's time, but I'm worried it won't happen.

I felt so bad for Georgia. She got sick at the wrong time. I also think the AT would have suited her more. It sounds like the doctor saying no getting thrown around is what necessitated the change. The good news is I think her VW gives her a good shot at staying should she end up in the dance off.

I liked Jay's Charleston but not as much as the judges did. He looked a little awkward. He didn't quite have the looseness needed.

Man they really laid into Katie tonight. The good news is the 4 doesn't really make much of a difference when things are ranked. Let's see how much good will there is for Anton out there.

• Love 2

Man they really laid into Katie tonight.

My interpretation of that was that Anita's vote is through the roof, they're desperate to keep Kellie, and were trying to make sure at least one person they don't like as much is in the danceoff.

My guess is:

If Jay is in the danceoff, he stays regardless of who he's up against.

Georgia stays against anyone but Jay.

Kellie stays over anyone but Jay or Georgia.

I think if they had their pick of Anita vs Katie they'd probably keep Katie, but they'd be pleased to get rid of either one.

• Love 1

Jay's Charleston scored lower than Kellie's foxtrot and Georgia's Viennese, so I don't think it's a given they would save Jay, unless one of the ladies messed up in the DO (even though I think they want to keep Jay - the fix accusations make DO shenanigans a bit more tricky).

I felt Kellie was being propped this week to keep her out of danger.

Anita and Katie should be bottom two and I would keep Anita, purely because she and Gleb offer more variety for the final.

Dots and Stripes - I thought Jay was brilliant in the Charleston and actually very loose and easy with it! Only the strange lift-not-a-mistake episode went against it for me. His VW was touching and sweet, but agreed with the judges, it needed more drive

Loved Kellie's American Smooth, but not her rumba. It seemed awkward and off balance to my eyes.

Georgia's VW was lovely. Cha Cha, not so much.

Katie is very error strewn. I really think she reached her limit a while ago and isn't improving. Expected much, much more in the waltz.

Edited by ceebee

I would have been a little sad whoever had left tonight, but on balance I think that was the right result.

it really was.  Gleb did Anita no favors with that Salsa-free Salsa routine and his penchant for rule breaking in general.  American audiences will forgive that stuff (see Derek Hough and his six mirror balls); apparently, the Brits aren't as forgiving, and I think it put them off.

And Anton finally makes his first finals.  Now I can't wait to see what kind of Showdance he comes up with for Katie.  My only hope is that he doesn't choke at this stage, because that tends to be deadly to the couples!

• Love 2

I would have been a little sad whoever had left tonight, but on balance I think that was the right result.

Oh, goodness. It's too cruel at this point. Personally, I would have kept Anita over Katie. I feel that the story is all about Anton, which isn't quite right, but never mind. Four good finalists.

Jay, Georgia, Helen and Anita would have been perfect, but the last six were all strong.

I shed a little tear for Anita :-(

Good bye Anita video

https://amp.twimg.com/v/65dbf9a4-2e90-40b1-b278-03b94175585c

• Love 1

it really was.  Gleb did Anita no favors with that Salsa-free Salsa routine and his penchant for rule breaking in general.  American audiences will forgive that stuff (see Derek Hough and his six mirror balls); apparently, the Brits aren't as forgiving, and I think it put them off.

Hmmm.

My perception is that Anita had a lot of public support. Clearly not enough to overhaul Jay, Georgia and Kellie this week, but I think the judges had a pretty strong hand in that. I felt they helped Kellie who has sometimes struggled with the public vote and wonder if Kellie had been lower on the leaderboard, whether we'd have seen the same bottom two.

All that said, Gleb needed to play the judges' game better this week, and they were never going to be forgiving...

• Love 2

Anita and Katie were the weakest dancers left. It was the right bottom 2. I think Anita was a relatively weak dancer who made up for it by selling the heck out of her performances. Given the choice between Anita and Katie (or really Gleb and Anton), I'm thrilled to see Katie and Anton moving forward. 

• Love 2

From what I've heard (since I can't watch the dance-off and can only go by comments from others), what clinched it for Katie was that she and Anton fixed the problems she had with her Waltz last night such that she nailed it in the dance-off, and the judges felt that she because she had shown that much improvement, she deserved to stay over Anita.

• Love 1

From what I've heard (since I can't watch the dance-off and can only go by comments from others), what clinched it for Katie was that she and Anton fixed the problems she had with her Waltz last night such that she nailed it in the dance-off, and the judges felt that she because she had shown that much improvement, she deserved to stay over Anita.

Katie was better, but still not great. Anita was the same. I don't have too much of a problem with the judges decision, although, like Craig, my preference would have been to keep Anita. I'm only really questioning the logic that the public rejected Gleb's style and choreography decisions.

They always had a great reception in the studio and she had a lot of momentum from the non-dancer/plucky underdog storyline, and whilst Gleb has garnered some criticism for his 'style over substance' approach, he has gained a lot of fans, too and you can only vote positively, so I think - speculating wildly, because I can't possibly know! - that a different leaderboard would have seen a different bottom two.

• Love 1

Katie was better, but still not great. Anita was the same. I don't have too much of a problem with the judges decision, although, like Craig, my preference would have been to keep Anita. I'm only really questioning the logic that the public rejected Gleb's style and choreography decisions.

They always had a great reception in the studio and she had a lot of momentum from the non-dancer/plucky underdog storyline, and whilst Gleb has garnered some criticism for his 'style over substance' approach, he has gained a lot of fans, too and you can only vote positively, so I think - speculating wildly, because I can't possibly know! - that a different leaderboard would have seen a different bottom two.

That's probably true, but I can't help feeling that Gleb screwed the pooch by (1) deliberately choreographing a Salsa routine with almost no discernible Salsa content and (2) letting Anita pick that for the dance-off over their much better Foxtrot because she was more comfortable with the Salsa, when he knew that the judges had hated it and that the viewers had probably been turned off by his breaking of the rules one too many times (sorry, but he's no Derek Hough, and Brits apparently don't care for that maverick style of choreography as much as Americans do).  Nope -- Anita's "shock boot" is solely on them, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

Anita's foxtrot scored the same from the judges and Len also thought it lacked content. IMO, Anita didn't have a good routine to pick for that round. Really though, she was one of the weaker dances left. It would have been hard for her to avoid the dance off. Kellie, Jay, and Georgia were the three best dancers left.  The dance off at this stage will favor someone like Katie who is inconsistent but can get one routine to look beautiful.

• Love 1