Type keyword(s) to search

Beauty And The Beast [2012] - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I enjoyed the episode too. I pre-ordered the season on amazon, so I own all of the eps, but this is one from season 2 I might actually re-watch! I agree that this show works better when Cat and Vincent are together. I look at their chemistry as the main reason for the show's existence. It is certainly not the stellar plotting and flawless internal logic. So I assume Gabe tipped off the police that Vincent was in Cat's apartment. Did he also plant the heart in Vincent's fridge? Or was that someone else? I would kind of like Gabe to be pure evil at this point, so I hope it was him.

The moment at the end where Cat was grabbed was genuinely startling and creepy, so nice work, show!

I thought Tess looked particularly luminous in this episode.

Count me in as someone who is sick of Gabe on my screen.  I don't care if he's sinister or trying to win Cat back, he's just annoying.

Not quite on board the Tess/JT ship yet.  I like them as friends who maybe hookup once in a while, but not as bf/gf.

I had to laugh when Cat suggested they go to Canada (since the show is filmed there) and the odd #1 subway entrance that doesn't exist in NY.   I'm looking forward to the ep where they are actually in NY!

And was it just me or did that cop who ordered Vincent to disrobe for his strip search was just a bit too enthusiastic about seeing him naked?

(edited)

SYNOPSIS

THE SEARCH IS ON FOR VINCENT — When Vincent (Jay Ryan) becomes the subject of a city-wide manhunt, he and Cat (Kristin Kreuk) try to stay below the radar. They find a surprising ally when the FBI approaches them about helping on an important case. Sendhil Ramamurthy, Nina Lisandrello and Austin Basis also star. Jeff Renfroe directed the episode with the story by Amy Van Curen and the teleplay by Brad Kern (#218).

EXTENDED PREVIEW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrtXAuW2xMQ

PROMO STILLS

ETA: I really hope Gabe is the mouse.

TVLine Sneak Peek

Access Hollywood Sneak Peek

Edited by dcinmb

Does anyone know how many episodes we get before the season ends?

I think it may be a total of 6 episodes that we get for the remainder of the season, but I could not find anything definitive on the CW site.

There are five eps left, for a total of 22.  The pics (linked above) of Kristin and Jay in NYC for the final day of shooting for the season were of Ep. 22.

So happy Beauty and the Beast is back! But what's going to happen now that Cat's been kidnapped? — Maria

Why worry? We all know how resourceful Detective Chandler is! Of course, it doesn't hurt that Vincent returns from being on the lam to look for her. And it sounds like her kidnapping will have long-reaching consequences. "We find out who the guys that have taken her are early in the episode, but they're not who they seem," Kristin Kreuk teases. "The episode [sets] the groundwork for what the show will be more like in Season 3."

Love this guy's reviews . . .

Beauty And The Beast -- Recap: Man on the Run (Nick Roman, Rickey.org)

. . . It’s a peculiar relationship, in a lot of ways, in that both [Catherine and Vincent] want to be the protector, which results in neither getting that opportunity. It makes for some solid drama, particularly since so much of it often reads as a comment on gender roles: it may be out of chivalrous love, but there has to be a certain element of pride in Vincent refusing to allow Cat to save him, as though fueled by the belief that, as the woman in the relationship, she shouldn’t have to face these sorts of hardships on his account. It’s a nice notion, but it robs Cat of agency. Then again, so does the ending. In short, there’s no “right” option here, although there appear to be a whole lot of wrong ones on the table. But those wrong choices are fueled by a couple’s desperation to not have their second life ripped away. And that makes for a pretty powerful episode. All told, “Beast Is The New Black” is a fittingly compelling return for Beauty and the Beast . . .

. . . Vincent gets the quirky idea to have them slow dance in the bath tub with all their clothes on, something that really shouldn’t be anywhere near as romantic as it ends up being, given how ridiculous it sounds. But it’s exactly the kind of moment that sets the show’s romantic elements apart from other shows of its ilk: there’s a self-awareness here about certain romance tropes, the notion that these two people will be ripped apart and have to battle through all the cliches of romantic hardship (the separation, loneliness, desperation, and anger). Yet the show finds moments of levity to make that relationship feel that much more grounded in reality, even despite the increasingly outlandish circumstances surrounding their relationship . . .

"The episode [sets] the groundwork for what the show will be more like in Season 3."

Yikes, those words scare me after we were teased with how great the changes were going to be for S2. Hopefully if they're planning to rejigger, they rejigger in the right direction.

Beauty And The Beast -- Recap: Man on the Run (Nick Roman, Rickey.org)

It's the wonderful sexual and romantic chemistry between JR and KK that make even a cheesy type shower scene seem like the most romantic thing ever.  

This tv show struck gold with these two actors and it would be a crime to not take full advantage of them with some good writing and lots of VinCat scenes this season and for S3.

(edited)

SYNOPSIS

NICOLE GALE ANDERSON GUEST STARS — Cat’s (Kristin Kreuk) sister Heather (guest star Nicole Gale Anderson) drops by for a surprise visit at the worst possible time, just as Gabe (Sendhil Ramamurthy) suspends Cat and Tess (Nina Lisandrello) from the squad in an effort to force Vincent (Jay Ryan) out of hiding. Austin Basis also stars. Rich Newey directed the episode written by John A. Norris and Eric Tuchman (#219).

PROMO STILLS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_u7tthONu0

ETA: EXTENDED PREVIEW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X18j48QXBww

Edited by dcinmb
(edited)

SYNOPSIS

CAT AND VINCENT GET A CHANCE AT NORMALCY — Cat (Kristin Kreuk) and Vincent (Jay Ryan) take Agent Knox's (guest star Anthony Ruivivar) offer to extricate and try to lead normal lives -- but forces out of their control conspire to expose them and drag them back into the fray. Sendhil Ramamurthy, Nina Lisandrello and Austin Basis also star. Steven A. Adelson directed the episode written by Vanessa Rojas (#220).

ETA: PROMO STILLS (note the ring on Catherine's left hand)

Edited by CuriousParker

Catherine to Gabe: "I loved you." Seriously!?! WTF, writers. Way to diminish what I thought we were supposed to believe was something special and rare between Catherine and Vincent. Couldn't she have said, "I cared about you"? Which is still completely ridiculous and implausible, BTW. How are we supposed to buy into VinCat's epic meant-for-each-other, love-of-a-lifetime, soulmate crap when it's so easy for Catherine to also fall in love with the first devious, controlling, murdering, kidnapping, VinCat-destroying ex-beast that crosses her path? It was hard enough to swallow that she would even entertain the thought of being in a rebound relationship with Gabe, but to go so far as to tell us that she loved him? What is wrong with these writers!?!

And Vincent? When there's a city-wide manhunt going on and your face is plastered all over the TV, you may want to consider, oh, I don't know, maybe at least shaving.

controlling, murdering, kidnapping, VinCat-destroying ex-beast

LOL. Someone should make a t-shirt with that on it for Sendhil Ramamurthy to wear in between takes.

And Vincent? When there's a city-wide manhunt going on and your face is plastered all over the TV, you may want to consider, oh, I don't know, maybe at least shaving.

I was thinking sunglasses. But a full beard and sunglasses would be better. A gray-white beard. Scraggly. But no, I guess we can't cover the pretty. This is the CW.

I was thinking sunglasses. But a full beard and sunglasses would be better. A gray-white beard. Scraggly. But no, I guess we can't cover the pretty. This is the CW.

Wouldn't a full beard and sunglasses make him look even shiftier and more menacing---kind of like the Unabomber? If he were to shave, he'd be virtually unrecognizable as Vincent Keller. This "Offspring" pic is from 2011:

MWBIiiy.jpg

Wouldn't a full beard and sunglasses make him look even shiftier and more menacing---kind of like the Unabomber?

LOL! Yes, true. I was thinking more like Billy Gibbons (Angela's dad on Bones), a street musician who folks might think looked familiar because he was secretly a rock star. But I guess a musical instrument case wouldn't look less menacing unless he played the instrument. ;-)
(edited)
What is wrong with these writers!?!

Jeff Renfroe directed the episode with the story by Amy Van Curen and the teleplay by Brad Kern

Brad Kern, 'nuff said about the stupid writing, especially Cat's "I loved you" crap.

Once again the plot was unbelievable, I mean getting in and out of the United Nations so easily was really silly.

But once again, JR and KK saved the show by their scenes together.  I also liked how Tess was torn back and forth as to which side she was on for most of the episode, but made the right choice at the end.

And Gabe has to die a horrible death, he really has turned out to be the bad guy I always knew he was.  I still want to flay the writers that had Cat 'fall in love' with Gabe.   Yuck

Edited by am1994

I'm choosing to believe that Catherine's "I love you" BS was a ploy to manipulate Gabe via guilt trip. Like, "Oh, she loved me! Maybe she can love me again! I'd better do anything and everything she asks!" Yeah, I know, I know.... Don't burst my bubble--rationalizations as unrealistic as these are the only reason I'm still watching this show.

I liked the Tess dilemma throughout. For a while she had me convinced that she might choose to betray them, not only because of her job loyalty but also because she'd convinced herself that her tough love was actually what would be best for Catherine. I kind of wonder whether her relationship with JT helped sway her. Now it's not only her best friend on that side of the fence but her pseudo-boyfriend too. I did laugh though when Gabe threw out the "She may lose her job--or worse!" threat about Catherine. Not that losing one's job is anything to take lightly, but I think that helping the person you love out of abject peril always takes precedent over employment. Call me a sappy romantic.

I agree the UN thing was completely unrealistic. As was the jumping through plate glass windows with nary a scratch. Of course realism has never been this show's strong suit.

I'm curious about everyone's opinion on S2 chemistry. I still feel like there's a bit of heat missing between Catherine and Vincent this season. At first it was understandable with the amnesia, then with the trivial matter of sleeping with other people (still bitter!) but now that they're back together, have full memories and really nothing standing in the way, I wonder why there isn't a bit more intensity in their relationship. I guess we got some in the shower scene but aside from that, it all feels really tame. Did the censors get to them? Now that JR's (presumably) married, did they decide to dial things down a bit? I'm not sure, but I miss the steam!

(edited)

I'm curious about everyone's opinion on S2 chemistry. I still feel like there's a bit of heat missing between Catherine and Vincent this season. At first it was understandable with the amnesia, then with the trivial matter of sleeping with other people (still bitter!) but now that they're back together, have full memories and really nothing standing in the way, I wonder why there isn't a bit more intensity in their relationship. I guess we got some in the shower scene but aside from that, it all feels really tame. Did the censors get to them? Now that JR's (presumably) married, did they decide to dial things down a bit? I'm not sure, but I miss the steam!

They haven't had 3 seconds alone together to do anything significant.  The millisecond they're alone someone jumps through a window or flies overhead and screws up the moment.  There was a flash in next week's episode with what looked like a pretty steamy kiss...so maybe the writers are just making all of us salivate before the final pay off.

And the way Vincent looked down at Cat just before kissing her on the roof....WHOO!

I guess I'm in the minority, I didn't mind Cat saying she loved Gabe.  Mostly because I took it as more of a friendship thing.  "I loved you" meaning I put faith and trust in you.  I put my well founded doubts about you aside because you assured me you had changed.  And you betrayed that.  I also took it as Cat's (understandably) childish way of guilting him because he's being an asshole.

Edited by CaughtOnTape
  • Love 1
(edited)

I feel the same about the lack of heat but it does look like things may be picking up in the next few eps. I really don't think it's a censorship issue as shows like Scandal have gone even further and I sure hope JR's not holding back because of his personal life.  After all, he's been with Dianna Fuemana off and on since he was 19 years old and from what I've seen, he's never been shy about nudity and sex scenes in the past.

ETA: Beauty And The Beast – Recap: Just Trust Me, Okay? (Nick Roman, Rickey.org)

Edited by dcinmb

From Deadline Hollywood . . .

. . . Nicole Gale Anderson is now a regular on the CW’s Beauty & the Beast where she plays the sister of Catherine (Kristin Kreuk). Anderson actually started off as a regular in the pilot, though the role was made a recurring after it was picked up to series. While recurring on BATB, Anderson landed a lead in the ABC Family’s Pretty Little Liars spinoff Ravenswood. When that show was cancelled after one season, Anderson, repped by Paradigm and the Marshak/Zachary Co., planned to take time off but was invited to return to BATB as a recurring and was quickly upped to a regular.

Ugh. But hey, if it means we can finally be rid of Gabe, I'll take it.

They haven't had 3 seconds alone together to do anything significant.  The millisecond they're alone someone jumps through a window or flies overhead and screws up the moment.

Very true.

They haven't had hardly any time together as a couple this season, but the shower scene last week, as silly as it seemed, was pretty sexy in my book.  And their last scene in this episode on the rooftop was sweet and romantic.  

They just need to give us a few scenes of them in bed and/or making out when they are on some down time and not running from their enemies or breaking into the UN or jumping out of windows.

As soon as someone finds a YouTube clip of the opening scene when Vincent hops over the wall and back again, please post it. Lots of LOL for that one.

Heather's not!wedding dress actually was beautiful on her.

So is Gabe re-beasting now?

(edited)

Wow, I thought it was really good! V&C working together and not bickering over whether one or the other should leave, Gabe fully showing his true colors (he actually makes a pretty good villain), a few twists and turns and suspenseful moments, pretty big plot movement in Heather getting looped in and Gabe beasting out... Good job, BATB! I also liked the rooftop scenes--even though they were interrupted, they somehow felt warmer and more S1-ish. 

Heather seems to have improved too. (I wonder if they gave her the "I've matured, I'm a grown woman" speech on purpose, knowing how annoying she'd been in the past.) I thought it was funny how Catherine finally told her the truth and she got all pissed about being lied to again. I also thought it was great when Vincent told her not to react to what she was about to see and the minute he beasts out, she's screaming like a banshee. Her hair looked weird though--maybe it was a wig if the actress has different hair for a different role? But the wedding dress was stunning, though sad that she ended up wedding dress shopping alone. Didn't she still have friends in NYC from when she lived there?

I'm really curious where they go with the Gabe development. He obviously surprised himself in his pseudo-beast attack. Maybe his return to beastliness would help Vincent, since they'd be back in the same boat and he'd be jeopardizing himself by outing Vincent. Either way, he's clearly completely lost all common sense since it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the police officer tranqued and the eye witness killed might be related to the suspect out on bail.

Did anyone catch what Vincent said right before he jumped off the roof for the last time? Right before Catherine said, "Don't be late" and he said "I never am"? Maybe it was just a meeting place name that I didn't catch. Don't want to have missed anything cute and/or important.

Edited by ElleBee

As soon as someone finds a YouTube clip of the opening scene when Vincent hops over the wall and back again, please post it. Lots of LOL for that one.

I don't have the wall-hopping scene but have you seen this?

Did anyone catch what Vincent said right before he jumped off the roof for the last time? Right before Catherine said, "Don't be late" and he said "I never am"? Maybe it was just a meeting place name that I didn't catch. Don't want to have missed anything cute and/or important.

"You know! I'm never late!"

SYNOPSIS

GABE ATTEMPTS TO WIN BACK CAT — Desperate to start over with Cat (Kristin Kreuk), Gabe (Sendhil Ramamurthy) tries to woo her by taking her on a romantic date. However, she has plans of her own regarding how to save Vincent (Jay Ryan) – while also trying to plan Heather’s (guest star Nicole Gale Anderson) bachelorette party.  Nina Lisandrello and Austin Basis also star.  Fred Gerber directed the episode written by Sherri Cooper and Jennifer Levin (#221).

PROMO STILLS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmezy7PIoN8

bPFfiew.jpg

(edited)

Cat said something like "meet at the Pavillion".  That was the place they met a few times in the episode.  And Vincent did say he was never late, lol.

I just lol'd at how often Vincent and Cat were out walking around the city when there is this gigantic manhunt going on.  The police really are inept.  And the fact that the police thought it was ok to have just one skinny cop guarding their very important witness to a murder at a rundown looking hotel?  Jeez louis.  And also not having Gabe followed after he made bail?  And the actor is so much better at being the bad guy then he ever was being the good guy.

But there are just the things we have all learned to overlook, because I loved how good VinCat were in working together and having some romantic moments.  And yes, I loved that first jump off and back up on the rooftop.  That was so cute.

I missed JT.

Edited by am1994
  • Love 1
(edited)

Curious what everyone else thought of this episode. I didn't like it. I thought there were a lot of opportunities missed with the witness protection program story line--it seemed like they were just rolling out one-note characterizations. So after all that they've been through, Catherine cannot restrain herself from stepping right into the middle of a case? She's been fine about blurring the lines on her cop duties time and time again in the past, and has professed exhaustively that her only concern is for Vincent's safety, but somehow she has to be the one to find justice for this neighbor that she met the day before, at the expense of her cover and Vincent?

I also thought Catherine's general reluctance was totally off-putting. Maybe it's because I'm a lifelong suburbanite (and have somehow survived!) but seriously, Cat, you can settle into that beautiful, quiet house for a few weeks without dying on the vine. Damn, she acted like she was being banished to Siberia.

And finally, it's really getting ridiculous how Vincent and Catherine are sashaying around NYC undetected. Not only do they theoretically have all of the NYPD after them, but also homicidal maniac Gabe. But somehow that doesn't interfere with their evening stroll. (With the so-not-needed exposition about how Cat needs to be Cat, no matter the circumstances. God forbid she be less Cat-ish for a short time to help her boyfriend. <Stopping myself from starting that rant all over again.>)

Anyway, I kind of had high hopes for this ep because it seemed like the perfect recipe for some romance and sparks, but alas, no. Not even close. There have been some good points here about how there hasn't been much romance this season because they've essentially been on the run from start to finish. Now there's an opportunity for them to have some quiet time together and instead of some steam, we get Cat complaining about feeling unfulfilled and Vincent talking to fish. At this point, my 80 year-old neighbors are generating more electricity than these two.

Edited by ElleBee
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, I would have no problem forgetting about "justice" for a dead guy for a couple of weeks. Does that make me a bad person? Because that's what it seemed like this PSA was about.

Couldn't Cat have just called their handler to say, "I think the lady across the street just murdered her husband; please send in a better detective"?

Anyway, New Hampshire isn't so far out of the sphere of NYC that the neighbors wouldn't have seen the Vincent Keller alerts. How about New Mexico, where news from the city would be about LA?

There were a few almost comedic moments, but then the way-to-coincidental murder case cut in. I've lived in suburbs most of my long life and never been anywhere near a murder.

And speaking of justice, why not just shoot Gabe and burn him up in the dungeon after he admitted to the two murders and pointed out that the dungeon was a hodgepodge of fingerprints and evidence already? Yeah, I know. Batman and Batgirl aren't "killers." Sigh.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I didn't like this episode either.  I think they should've done a montage or something to show the passing of at least a couple of weeks.  That would make a lot more sense than all of this happening within a day or two of moving in.  Also, I wish the writers were a little more clever.  I mean, having such on the nose dialogue as "she called you directly?" and then having the other cop just shrug it off.  I mean, my dog could've picked up on that hint.  And, then CAT didn't even really GET the hint!  Ugh.  She was then alone with the guy in the car?  Terrible.

I was looking forward to a couple of cute domestic scenes between Cat and Vincent and instead we're shown scenes of "Cat just being Cat" and putting themselves both in danger.  So dumb.

• Love 1
(edited)

I couldn't agree more with everything you've all said.  When J.T. and Tess are the only ones giving off any heat in an episode, it's time for the fat lady to sing.  It boggles the mind that we suffered through all of Season 2 for this borefest.  We kept giving the writers the benefit of the doubt, saying that it's got to get better, the epic romance and undeniable chemistry will be back soon, but nope, nada.

Sure the pretending-to-be-married-in-the-suburbs thing's been done a zillion times before but what a perfect opportunity for Vincent and Catherine to finally have the reunion that we've been waiting for FOR-EVER.  They finally, after two freaking seasons, get to spend some quality time together---away from Heather, helicopters, PsychoGabe, the police, Muirfield, everything---and all we get is indifference, a few chaste kisses and zero chemistry!?!

I don't know what's going on with KK and JR but their chemistry has evaporated.  Which is exactly what's going to happen with what little audience the show still has left if things don't turn around in the next two eps.

So disappointed.

ETA: Kudos to Nick Roman for always managing to find something positive to say about each ep.

Beauty and the Beast---Recap: Vaughan But Not Forgotten  (rickey.org)

Edited by dcinmb

Dear Beauty and the Beast.  Either get some good writers to just hang it up.  

I too was looking forward to VinCat being in suburbia and maybe doing some couple's things, like kissing and laughing and having sex.   But no, all we got was Cat throwing cold water on the whole thing.

And yes, Vincent is the most wanted man but he sure can walk around for some time before someone finally points him out.

We only have a couple more episodes left, they had better do something to rescue the mess that this season has been.  Even the most devoted fans, like me, are getting tired of what we have been given.

WTH, Gabe is still around and dating Cat?  I just don't get it.  And I have my doubts that the writers we have will do anything to clear up this mess of a season.

How could a nice little show go so wrong?

WTH, Gabe is still around and dating Cat?  I just don't get it.  And I have my doubts that the writers we have will do anything to clear up this mess of a season.

How could a nice little show go so wrong?

If you figure it out, fill me in. S1 wasn't a complicated formula, so I'm still confused about how they managed to get so far off course. And funny how the triangle, which was supposed to be over, somehow manages to linger on. If a nuclear apocalypse ever hits, all that will remain is cockroaches and lovelorn Gabe, pining for Cat.

If a nuclear apocalypse ever hits, all that will remain is cockroaches and lovelorn Gabe, pining for Cat.

Heh. I'm betting this episode that cockroach at least gets stomped on. But they often do just scurry away.
  • Love 1

Heh. I'm betting this episode that cockroach at least gets stomped on. But they often do just scurry away.

I wish Gabe had been stomped on many episodes ago.

I love VinCat, but the story the writers have been giving us these last episodes are just not cutting it.  Where is the sizzling VinCat we saw in S1?  It has been missing for far too long.  They had better get back to that soon, even if the stories were just plain silly, at least we had VinCat to revel in.  

Now, we don't even have that.

• Love 1

SYNOPSIS

CAT FACES A TOUGH DECISION — Cat (Kristin Kreuk) searches for a way to thwart Gabe (Sendhil Ramamurthy) and finds her answer in an unexpected place: the journal of her ancestor, which makes Cat fear the only way to stop Gabe is by killing Vincent (Jay Ryan). Nina Lisandrello and Austin Basis also star. Stuart Gillard directed the episode written by Brad Kern and Roger Grant (#222).

EXTENDED PREVIEW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ua2wyak7r4

PROMO STILLS - PART I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU8fGqGlj7k

PROMO STILLS - PART II (spoilery)

Beauty and the Beast Boss on a Close Cancellation, Changing Focus and an Epic Finale Battle (tvguide.com)

What have you learned this season that you might change going forward?

Kern: It's a different mandate going into Season 3. The mandate going into Season 2 was that the network wanted to do everything to expand and reach out to broader audience. That success was checkered and the audience that continued to watch, thank God, stayed with the show every episode. So, going into the third season, what I've learned ties into what the reality is, which is that people who watch the show are the ones who need to be honored, and if we can reach out to broader audiences, fantastic, but the focus is what the loyal audience likes best and that's Vincent and Catherine.

. . .

So that means some casualties?

Kern: It's definitely safe to say that there will be casualties.

Wasn't BK the one who said in an interview that he really liked the direction of S2 and sometimes the viewers don't know what's good for them? (Or was it KK? Now I can't remember and I'm too lazy/not caring to look it up, but that was definitely the low point in the ongoing audience condescension.) Anyway, this latest "honoring" of the core audience is probably only damage control but at least he's learned to do a bit of a grovelling dance. Way overdue.

No responses?  I guess that doesn't surprise me.  This show is just really boring now.  I HATED that Gabe was back to beastly mode.  That was so dumb.  I'm glad he's dead because that storyline has LOOOOONG run it's course. 

I also really HATED the flashbacks.  I always thought the past stuff (totally blanking on the "Cat" and "Vincent" past counterparts) was super dumb and still felt that way when they brought it back last night.  I actually forgot about all of that- or rather put it out of my mind because I hated it so much.  I hope they never revisit that storyline again either. 

Now JT is going to have some super-powers of his own???  Ugh.  Also, I see absolutely NO chemistry between JT and Tess.  None whatsoever. I hate that coupling, but I think the writers only did that because they didn't know what else to do with them.

I would not be surprised AT ALL if Cat gets super powers next year (if this gets renewed). 

The only thing I liked was the last scene on the bench.  That was sweet and the chemistry I fell in love with was back. 

I LOLed at the flashbacks. Jay Ryan has been nailing the comedic lines this season, but I guess neither he nor Kristin were up for old timey accents. When this show ends, I hope he gets to do straight comedy.

Well it's about freaking time.  But if he pops up again in Season 3, I will delete my season pass and be done with this show once and for all.  Actually, he's tolerable as a straight-up villain but after having to suffer through the monumentally epic fail that was Gabe and Catherine, I have a visceral reaction whenever he shows up and really need him to be dead dead.

Glad J.T. survived but I was worried for a moment that the super-secret government "good guys" had given him a beast blood transfusion to save him (a la Heroes), so I hope they really used their super-secret magical nano-plasma instead.

Sadly, I'm still not seeing much chemistry between Vincent and Catherine.  Hope the magic isn't gone for good.

Beauty And The Beast – Season 2 Finale – Recap: This Ends Tonight (Nick Roman, rickey.org)

Couldn't disagree more with his "high bar" description of Season 2, but I do like this (even though I think he's giving Brad Kern and his so-called writers too much credit) . . .

It isn’t that Vincent and Cat are meant to be, it’s that they’ve chosen to be. The traditional concept of destiny would mean that Vincent and Cat never had a choice but to be together, which seems romantic in theory, but actually lessens the validity of their connection. Because, really, how valid can your choice be if it’s a choice you were always going to make? However, this episode illustrates that Vincent and Cat have enough respect and love for one another as individuals to see that they’re better together than they are apart. Sure, fate might have put them in each other’s path, but they made the choice to be together, and they put in the work to make certain that nobody could ruin that connection, not even a certified psychopath like Gabe (Sendhil Ramamurthy). So while “Deja Vu” embraces the idea of “destined love,” the episode’s central thesis seems to be that there isn’t really such a thing as destiny, in the traditional sense. Destiny, in this case, is what you make for yourself.

I also really HATED the flashbacks.  I always thought the past stuff (totally blanking on the "Cat" and "Vincent" past counterparts) was super dumb and still felt that way when they brought it back last night.  I actually forgot about all of that- or rather put it out of my mind because I hated it so much.  I hope they never revisit that storyline again either. 

Now JT is going to have some super-powers of his own???  Ugh.  Also, I see absolutely NO chemistry between JT and Tess.  None whatsoever. I hate that coupling, but I think the writers only did that because they didn't know what else to do with them.

I couldn't agree more on the flashbacks. They totally didn't work for me. I don't know whether KK and JR weren't selling it because they realized it was ridiculous or whether they were having a hard time with the writing, but I cringed each time they flashed back or made reference to the diary. So not necessary for a season (and what could have been a series) finale. I'm assuming their idea behind it was somehow to show that V and C have been destined to be together, just like their forefathers?? Dunno and didn't like it enough to be bothered to figure out where they were trying to go with it.

Also, I so hate to admit it but I also can't get with JT and Tess. I really like both of the actors and both of the characters but when they're together, I just don't see it. And I wanted to smack JT when Tess was calling him and saying she was coming right over because they needed to track down Vincent in a life-or-death situation and JT says (paraphrasing), "Oh, you're coming over? Does that mean we can talk about our relationship?" There is no way JT would have said that when his best friend was in mortal danger. Slopping writing and/or some kind of bad attempt at humor. Ugh.

Glad J.T. survived but I was worried for a moment that the super-secret government "good guys" had given him a beast blood transfusion to save him (a la Heroes), so I hope they really used their super-secret magical nano-plasma instead.

Sadly, I'm still not seeing much chemistry between Vincent and Catherine.  Hope the magic isn't gone for good.

I assumed they'd given JT a beast-esque serum as some kind of experiment (with the justification that he was going to die anyway so it wasn't so morally bad) but I guess we won't find out until next season. Assuming we actually watch next season...

I have to agree on not seeing the same level of chemistry as S1. I really, really want to see it but I just don't. I figured maybe they'd pull out all the stops on the season finale, especially if they figured it might be the last ep, but I still just feel like V & C have migrated into a mostly comfortable couple where the initial heat has worn off. It's probably pretty realistic, and there's nothing wrong with it per se, but if I want to see couples who are happy and comfortable but don't show particular passion then I have the real world for that.

And I call BS on the whole "it's better to come together deliberately than to be destined" crap. IMO it's just backpedaling from having made bad choices about putting them with other people. No one is ever going to convince me that it's somehow more romantic that V and C screwed Gabe and Tori and then went back to each other again than if they'd stayed together.

Oh and finally a shout out to the few who've stuck with this show and this board through our thinly-watched show. By the end, I think I was looking more forward to reading everyone's opinions than the show itself. I complain a lot but i's been a cute show and I think KK and JR are awesomely charismatic. Also a special shout-out to dcinmb for always being so good with the links. I read a lot of interesting stuff that I never would have stumbled across on my own. 

• Love 1

‘Beauty and the Beast’ season 3: What’s next for Kristin Kreuk, Jay Ryan, cast (cartermatt.com)

As season three begins, Cat and Vincent are able to focus on their love, finally free from Muirfield, manhunts and beasts, However, that love will be tested as new and more dangerous threats await. When they learn that innocent victims are being used to test the boundaries of the impossible, Cat and Vincent will uncover a deeper conspiracy, one which Vincent can fight only by turning to the beast he carries within. But unleashing the beast will risk Vincent’s life – along with his and Cat’s love – as they struggle to build a normal life together.

I thought this episode was so uneven.  We did not need the flashbacks at all, they did nothing to add to the story.   I'm also confused as to why Alistair was a Beast, but Vincent is a beast b/c of Muirfield?  Did some kind of Muirfield exist in the 1850s?  Or just coincidence. 

I loved that the last scene was actually filmed in NYC, not Toronto.  Don't get me wrong, Toronto is a great city (heading there for TIFF in September) but it's not NY. 

Ding dong, Gabe is dead.  Finally.  I like that Cat wound up killing him, not Vincent. 

The shot of poor JT hung from the ceiling was pretty shocking, although I doubted they would kill him off.  Not buying Tess and him as a couple although I thought Nisa did a good job showing how upset she was that he might not survive.

I suppose we have to wait until next Spring to see the new season?  That's fine, I'm not itching to see what happens next.  I do like this show overall, hope it improves next season.

'Beauty and the Beast' Boss on 'Tense' Finale, Promises Romantic Season 3 (Hollywood Reporter)

Brad Kern's mea culpa tour continues . . .

. . . My job is to keep an eye on what the loyal audience likes, especially on a show like this where there is only the loyal audience, really, who watches on a weekly basis. The mandate from season one to season two was to try to reach out beyond the loyal fan base because the show barely got picked up for season two. We pretty much ended the season with the same amount of viewers, give or take, that we had at the beginning of the season. Now that we’ve tried to reach out beyond the loyal fan base and have had checkered success with that, giving them more of what they want is absolutely something that we want to be doing going forward . . .

. . . I think that my emphasis will be to — as shown in the last six or seven episodes of season two — drive the show’s direction more into what the loyal audience would like to see because that’s who watches the show . . .

. . . It['ll be] mostly about Cat and Vincent’s love. The design last year was to break them apart for a while to try to establish separate characters and to build the separate characters and to bring them back together stronger. The goal now is to try and focus on the Cat and Vincent love and challenge it to help them grow as a couple, as opposed to try to break them apart . . .