Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles:Martha Kent was the original Lana Lang! Lionel Luthor was the Riddler! And Lex was The Flash!

Yeah, yeah, corny title. Bite Me.

But since we didn't have a thread for our cast who were in other roles on other show pre- and post Smallville, thought I'd create one.

I've already mentioned how John Glover was the Riddler in the animated DCAU and he couldn't have been more different than Lionel Luthor; or what an AWESOMETACULAR job that Michael Rosenbaum did as Wally West/Flash in JL/JLU while playing Lex at the same time! Or that Annette O'Toole was the original Lana Lang in the Christopher Reeve movies!

Well, I knew that before he was cast for this show, Tom Welling had a small arc on Judging Amy, where he played an owner of a Dojo, and was Amy Brennerman's daughter's teacher. And now that ridonkulous inspirational channel that airs the show, is now showing those episodes, and hubba hubba, was he hawt. I'm sitting here, curled up and squeeing over their first kiss. Rob couldn't be more different than Clark or RedKryptonite Clark or Transference Clark! This was in the second season.

And how about this? Sam Jones III, aka, Pete Ross was also on Judging Amy in the first season.

I know what KK and ED have been up to since Smallville but I don't care so someone else will have to write about them. 

Allison Mack was wonderful for the season she was on Wilfred.  She gave such depth to a character that could have easily been one dimensional but instead she really connected emotionally to the audience. Didn't love the reddish hair though, lol.

I watched her guest episode (she played a police deputy in a small town with deadly secrets) in The Following, a show I could have cared less about but I would have watched a spin off with just the character she created in her one episode.  I also watched the whole season of American Odyssey waiting for her character to show up only for her part to basically get written off since the show was clearly not getting anymore episodes, but the few times she was on screen, she did a wonderful time connecting to the other characters and making the audience want to know more about her. 

I'm watching Arrow and there is this actress in the flashbacks this year that is so much of a non entity it makes the whole storyline seem pointless and I can't help thinking about how that "it" factor that makes you pay attention the screen is not a valued enough commodity.  AM sells all the subtle emotions beyond just the words written on the page and I want so badly for her to get another chance to shine to a broad audience. 

I've only seen Tom Welling in one thing since Smallville, but he got me to TWICE watch most of the deadly dull (to a non football fan) Draft Day.  Honestly, it might have been a good movie, I just couldn't tell since I had no idea (even the second time) why anyone was worked up about anything.  The first time I watched it, I caught a brief scene with Welling, and kept watching.  He only showed up one more time.  So when Draft Day was on again, I recorded it and watched it from the very beginning, assuming I'd missed most of Welling's part and I had, it's just that all he got to do was bench some weights and have a bit of a temper tantrum.  (Martha would not have stood for that.  I seriously glanced at his hand to see if he was wearing a red ring though, lol)

I then kept watching to see if his scenes that I'd seen before would make more sense.  Eh, I wasn't missing much.  He was looking pretty and I really enjoyed seeing him playing his real age, though. 

Oh, I also this summer watched Michael Rosenbaum's comedy Impastor.  Very funny but he's soooo not Lex in it.  Until this moment, I'd forgotten that the guy in Impastor was our Lex. 

I initially looked at this thread and thought, hmm, I can't think of any roles anyone that I cared about have recently played.  Ha! 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

Wellll, Tom did play his real age, or close enough to it, before this show on Judging Amy!

And guess what? John Schneider has had a solid career, appearing on successful shows in each decade since the 70s!

We have Bo Duke in  The Dukes of Hazzard during the 70s and 80s

Daniel Simon on Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman during the 90s. And guess what? he appeared in the first season as Red McCall, the robber cowboy who left his baby, who was half Native American with Dr. Quinn. And he also voiced Bo Duke in the short lived 'toon The Dukes.

And we had Dr. Quinn herself appear on this show but neither she or John had any scenes together. Bummer.  Or that Margot Kidder or Christopher Reeve didn't share any scenes together. Unless they thought to bring her on after Christopher passed.

Bummer. And as is their won't, killed her off real quick! I would have liked to have seen Margir share scenes with Tom. But at least we got a Lana and Lois reunion!

If I recall, something happened between the show runners and Margo Kidder that somehow offended her and she refused to return although initial plans had her character reoccurring.  I think it came out later that at the time, MK was undergoing some mental health issues so I've always chalked it up to that, but still, they didn't treat the character kindly, killing her off and burying her with her foot sticking out of the ground.  Tacky.   

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

If I recall, something happened between the show runners and Margo Kidder that somehow offended her and she refused to return although initial plans had her character reoccurring.  I think it came out later that at the time, MK was undergoing some mental health issues so I've always chalked it up to that, but still, they didn't treat the character kindly, killing her off and burying her with her foot sticking out of the ground.  Tacky.   

Huh. I don't recall anything, but I was pretty spoiler free when this show was airing, until the end of season 7 to the end.

BUT I do remember something about Margot's mental issues; how she was found by someone and she looked really bad and homeless or something. But I thought that was before she appeared on this show.  I think I've seen her in interviews since then and she looks good.

I watch the interviews by those assholes Souders and Peterson and I just get all stabby and ragey. And I don't even know Margot personally or Tom. But the tone-deafness and arrogance is astounding.

I am probably making the connection on my own between the problem between MK and the show runners and her issues but what I remember is the show runners legitimately not knowing what they did or said to offend her and others saying she was confused about something.

I am probably making the connection on my own between the problem between MK and the show runners and her issues but what I remember is the show runners legitimately not knowing what they did or said to offend her and others saying she was confused about something.

Heh. And it's probably my bias against those two, to a greater extent than Al and Miles, but I can't help it. They have or had NO FUCKING CLUE, and just undid everthing in the final season just so this show would match up with the comics.  When they could have just made this show an alternate universe, since they already messed with the mythos--that it was Zod who destroyed Krypton and killed Jor-El and Lara; that Lois shows up in Smallville, Lionel, who never existed in the comics, same with Chloe.

But noooooo. 

It would have been AlMiles that dealt with Margot Kidder.

I remember when we got the news that AlMiles were leaving.  I remember having one of those absolute moments of clarity that any shot of the show I thought I was watching and waiting to see had just gone away.  I of course convinced myself that didn't have to be true, but yeah, it was.  AlMiles had some terrible habits (Lana) but they at least weren't afraid to tell their own story.  Everyone that came after were just trying to play it safe even though doing so meant making radical changes to the show and undoing the character work of seven years.  They were determined to line everything up so anything that got in the way got blown up, jettisoned, or retconned.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Yep. As much as I didn't like them for their fascination and obsession over Lana, they did a good thing with their story. And they don't come off as assholes in interviews.

What really gave me a giggle was their excitement and exuberance over Annette because they hadn't known she played Lana in the Reeve movie. She provided a lot of information that they didn't know or didn't bother to research. Probably because they wanted their own take, but they appreciated Annette's input so that they would have the history/mythos/knowledge.

And of course then they wanted HER to play Martha because it would be so cool! Paraphrasing their words.

The same cannot be said of Souders and Peterson. And since they wanted everything lined up, they still fucked up with Doomsday and Darkseid. Especially Darkseid.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

In a "What are they doing now?" sort of announcement, just caught Michael Mckean aka Perry White aka Annette O'toole's husband hosting a show on the Cooking channel.  Food:  Fact or Fiction.  I'm currently on episode 3, Breakfast.  Am about to find out fact or fiction:  Does coffee stunt your growth?

Update:  NOPE!

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

Yeah that V in the front is not a good look.

No it's not! I was expecting to his longer, wavier, lustrous locks, but got a buzzkill look instead!

Now I gotta look up that JFK movie on Netflix to see if it's available to watch. I'll probably watch it instead of zipping, since I find all the stories, conspiracy theories about JFK interesting, as opposed to the inter workings of football, which bore me since it's like trying to understand a foreign language!

He looks a lot better in his white doctors coat when he throws a nice solid punch.

Nicholas Sparks. Man, that dude bugs me. I was just waiting for the "catch" in the movie that ruins everything. Car crash coma. it's too easy. I'm sure there's more complications. Lost pregnancy at the very least. ;p

(edited)

He looks a lot better in his white doctors coat when he throws a nice solid punch.

Nicholas Sparks. Man, that dude bugs me. I was just waiting for the "catch" in the movie that ruins everything. Car crash coma. it's too easy. I'm sure there's more complications. Lost pregnancy at the very least. ;p

Eh? I must have missed that. No, wait. I stopped watching when I saw what he'd done to himself he looked like. I don't watch movies based on Nicholas Sparks's movies--too depressing, but why couldn't Tom have been cast as the hero? Because he's FAR better looking than the guy who is. *sniff*

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

I'll admit that the The Notebook was worth the hype (even if the ending was contrived) and yes I bawled during that movie but I also vowed to never watch another of his movies.  Did accidently watch one with I want to say Amanda Bines (Or maybe it was Miley Cyrus?) and it was going along ok and then boom.  Dying Dad.  

I stopped watching when I saw what he'd done to himself he looked like.

That first appearance of him in the clip wasn't flattering but he looked better in the ones that came later. 

It appears Tom is producing and starring in a new show in the works for CBS. I don't know if it's officially picked up.

http://tvline.com/2015/12/03/tom-welling-section-13-drama-cbs/

It's still in development but sounds promising to me!

It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s Tom Welling‘s return to TV!

The onetime Clark Kent has found his first post-Smallville TV project in Section 13, a drama series in development at CBS that he will topline and produce.

According to Deadline, the project centers on a CIA black ops officer-turned-private contractor (played by Welling) who, on the heels of a personal tragedy, joins a covert organization devoted to carrying out the most difficult and dangerous high-stakes assignments.

Carla Kettner (Bones) will write the script and exec-produce with Welling.

• Love 1
(edited)

Eric Johnson (Whitney) is killing it in the new CBC series Caught.

Caught7.jpg

Kristin Kreuk, funny enough, also has a show on the CBC - Burden of Truth.

Burden1.jpg?w=800

Edited by marina to