Type keyword(s) to search

TGHBS vs. Other Baking Competitions

• Start Topic

One of the charms of the Bake Off shows is the contestants participating because of their love of baking, not the expectation of a significant prize. The producers don't ask leading questions for the THs so they can get soundbites from the bakers talking smack or elicit sob stories (looking at you Chopped). The bakes are the focus of the show and create enough drama when they don't go to plan. Even though it's a competition the contestants become great friends. The bakers show humor in the face of adversity.

So I was taken aback when it was announced at the start of episode 1 of the first season of the American version that a book deal with Simon & Schuster and $250,000 cash prize would be awarded to the winner. For me, the show became hard-edged. I hope ABC learned from CBS's mistakes.

• Love 3
It's just not a show that should seem rushed, somehow.  I guess I feel that the original is like pausing for a grand tea, while this version seems more like fast food.

Beautifully stated. I love the slow, relaxing feel of the original, like sitting down for high tea exactly!

• Love 1

"It's just not a show that should seem rushed, somehow. I guess I feel that the original is like pausing for a grand tea, while this version seems more like fast food."

It was rushed because it was so clearly done on the cheap. It looked as though all 3 bakes were done on one day, which differs from the British version, where the signature and technical bakes were done in the morning and afternoon, and the showstopper the next day. I can't recall the specifics, but it seemed as though the British bakers were allotted more time; not a lot, maybe a half an hour, but I think it made a difference. There were numerous times where time management was mentioned, but I thought the real problem was inadequate time. I mean 2 hours is simply not enough time to properly mix, proof, bake and decorate the candy cane bread.

I also think the final showstoppers were too cookie cutter. There was no space for the bakers to spread their wings. All in all, a disappointing experiment. There was a lot of criticism about the skill level of the bakers. It was certainly an issue, but I would love to see what they would have done with the same schedule afforded the Brits.

• Love 1

I think there have been issues with being given adequate time on the British show too.

Absolutely. The time allotted comes from how look it takes a test baker for the show to carry out the task. Maybe they sometimes add a little to that to allow for the bakers' amateur status, but not much. Time is generally tight. A lot can be said about elements that were skimped in this version of the show, but I don't think time per challenge is one of them.

it seemed particularly egregious on the American version.

[This appeared when I posted my response.] If it seemed particularly egregious, and I agree about the effect if not the cause, I would say that it has to do with the low skill level of these bakers, relative to what we generally see on the British version. They weren't as practiced with the basic procedures (and hence had to execute them carefully rather than confidently on autopilot), they usually hadn't made the required end result often (and whatever practice time they got between "weekends," it wasn't the 5 days the British bakers get), and so their time management suffered.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 1
On 12/24/2015 at 8:56 AM, Rinaldo said:

[This appeared when I posted my response.] If it seemed particularly egregious, and I agree about the effect if not the cause, I would say that it has to do with the low skill level of these bakers, relative to what we generally see on the British version. They weren't as practiced with the basic procedures (and hence had to execute them carefully rather than confidently on autopilot), they usually hadn't made the required end result often (and whatever practice time they got between "weekends," it wasn't the 5 days the British bakers get), and so their time management suffered.

Late to the party (Just saw this on Hulu). I think you're spot on about the skill level of the contestants. I am not at all impressed with their abilities. They seem to be more amateur than the most amateur of the British version.