Type keyword(s) to search

Nathan Wuornos

Wheels08

Lucas Bryant directed "Enter Sandman": http://www.tvgoodness.com/2015/10/21/havens-cast-talk-about-lucas-bryants-directorial-debut-enter-sandman/

“They wrote something specifically to try to play to my strengths as a director—they wrote an actor’s piece, a character piece that was smaller, that was more contained, that was about the relationships in it,” he explains. “It had less action and less technical aspects, less supernatural. They kept Nathan out of it largely, and in the part that he was in, he was contained in a single location. Some of the days I was only the director and I didn’t have to be Nathan as well, which was such a gift.”

• Love 1

Since this is Haven's last (half)season, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite moments for the main three characters. Even though Nathan is now my least favorite character (BlackberryJam succinctly summed up why a few posts back) I did enjoy him early on, and have long felt than Lucas Bryant is wasted in the role and capable of much more.

- Any scene with The Chief. I've always felt the show lost a lot when Nicholas Campbell left, because IMO Nathan's relationship with his father (Max Hansen who?) really defined Nathan as a character. In fact, I'd say that this relationship told us more about Nathan in a single season than the Audrey/Nathan "twu wuv" has in four. The two Wuornos are so similar with their stubbornness and reticence that you can see how Nathan became the man he is.

- 2.2 "Fear and Loathing" The moment at the end of the episode, when Nathan allows Jackie to be cured of her Trouble at the expense of getting back his own. A truly selfless and empathetic act of kindness that showed why Nathan is someone we should root for. 

- 4.10 "The Trouble With Troubles" Nathan as Doctor Hansen (or as I like to call him, Doctor Dork). These scenes confirmed my personal theory that, without the Trouble-induced broody-manpain, Nathan would actually be a big dork. Or should I say adorkable? Either way, I got a kick out of this.

- 2.7 "Friend or Faux" His hilariously awful drunken dancing after getting fired as Police Chief, made even funnier when Duke and Audrey snapped a picture of him for future blackmail purposes. A nice glimpse of the humor that LB brings to the role, which we don't normally get to see much of.

- 4.1 "Fallout" His joy at seeing Duke is still alive. No matter how much he insults Duke, this scene is proof that he really does care (we all knew it!) and that, deep down, Nathan is lost without him. For those of us who consider the Duke/Nathan relationship the heart of the show, this scene was proof.

• Love 3

- Any scene with The Chief. I've always felt the show lost a lot when Nicholas Campbell left, because IMO Nathan's relationship with his father (Max Hansen who?) really defined Nathan as a character. In fact, I'd say that this relationship told us more about Nathan in a single season than the Audrey/Nathan "twu wuv" has in four. The two Wuornos are so similar with their stubbornness and reticence that you can see how Nathan became the man he is.

This, time a million. The Chief and the Rev were great characters and LB did good work with both of them. I do think the writing and ER have really hindered LB in the last couple scenes. It seems they direct him to have manpain and be schmoopy. The end.

I know once the show is over, I will rewatch the whole thing to see if there were clues, in S1. But I suspect I'm going to end up fastforwarding most of S4...

• Love 2

This, time a million. The Chief and the Rev were great characters and LB did good work with both of them. I do think the writing and ER have really hindered LB in the last couple scenes. It seems they direct him to have manpain and be schmoopy. The end.

Agreed that losing the Chief and the Rev basically cut off a very large part of Nathan's history and development. And with only the scmhoopy manpain to fill the void, it's left LB with nothing to do beyond make eyes at Audrey all the time and threaten anyone who comes within five feet of her. Not much for an actor - even one as talented as LB - to work with. It was a lot of fun watching him in the body-switch episodes last year (in 5A) to see his take on the character of Duke. LB sparked in those eps as he hadn't in a long time, IMO.

I'm going out on a limb to say I actually enjoyed season 4 a lot more than seasons 2 and 3, in that it (finally) featured Duke as the de facto lead. He was always the one saving the day and putting himself on the line to save the town, which, as a Duke fan, I enjoyed a lot. Also, I really liked Jennifer despite having serious doubts about her at first. Though I will totally grant that season 4 sucked pretty bad on the Nathan and Audrey fronts, but TBH by then I'd pretty much stopped watching for anything beyond EB's pretty.

Thinking back, it seems IMO that Nathan's decline as a character definitely started in season 2, when his focus as a character was shifted (through the absence of the Chief and the Rev's death) from the town of Haven to Audrey as the end-all be-all of his world. It's gone downhill from there, slowly at first but painfully obvious in the past few seasons.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 4
On 11/17/2015 at 1:00 PM, Maelstrom said:

Thinking back, it seems IMO that Nathan's decline as a character definitely started in season 2, when his focus as a character was shifted (through the absence of the Chief and the Rev's death) from the town of Haven to Audrey as the end-all be-all of his world. It's gone downhill from there, slowly at first but painfully obvious in the past few seasons.

I'm rewatching with my son and the utter contempt that Nathan has for Duke is even more frustrating knowing the end of the show. It's making me dislike Nathan even though I liked him the first watch through.

• Love 3

I binged watch the series after it aired, and I thought there was a lot to like about Nathan in the early seasons.  I second what everyone has said about his interaction with the Chief and how well they played together.  I did like him with Audrey, and I liked the bond he developed with Duke.  Perhaps the thing I liked best is that he was a bit awkward from the beginning.  He had sincerity and cracked an occasional joke, and I like the way Lucas Bryant played Nathan's trouble and the breaks in it.  The undying love of pancakes was always a good callback.

Later seasons did not serve Nathan well.  He became the boring and monotonous romantic lead, and made some increasingly bad decisions from Season 3 onward.  The relationships with Jordan and Sara were weird.  Even getting the tattoo was such a sudden turn.

I'll try to remember the interactions with Duke and Dwight, and early seasons Audrey.

• Love 4