Type keyword(s) to search

Kappa Kappa Nitpick

Hey, I lurve satire of the Greek community (I was in a sorority and married a frat guy), but the WAY off stuff annoys me to no end. I've not seen Greek recruitment accurately portrayed (among a few other things) in film or TV. Let's moan about it! Hee! Also, sorority rush is way different than frat rush. Oh the differences. The topic was inspired by a question about the KKT house in another thread. I hope adding this is allowed. Sorry, I'm a TVWOP alum and they over-mod. ;)

I'm still amazed that only three initiated members can fund that house. WTF at girls who aren't even full sisters running for president? At least in the flashback with the tub baby they had a party full of girls. More evidence that RM has ZERO clue how sorority 'parties' work. At least they had a bunch of members, though--at the time. ;) The sorority houses are alcohol free (sure girls sneak it in, but it can't be overt or may risk your chapter getting a hefty fine) if they are a national org and no matter how rich your parents are, there's no way on earth a house that size can be sustained by a few members. Starting a nitpick thread. I think many writers/producers don't bother to even do a minor bit of due diligence to make things plausible. lol Nitpick here can be as minor as these peeps are never seen with books. Unless this is a local sorority, they would have been shut down faster than I can blink an eye. Yep, I know that doesn't make it great for TV, but at least put it in the realm of possibility. I assume they aren't local due to the power they wield. 

Okay, there's the Dicky Dollar Scholars frat? Is that a Greek letter org (Delta Delta Sigma?) or a nickname? I know it's all in the name of humor but let us have a modicum of realism. :)

I love "Legally Blonde," "Revenge of the Nerds," and "House Bunny" as much as the next person, but let's be at least a little realistic. :)

Edited by Atlanta
  • Love 1

As a person outside the USA, I admit that the whole frat house and soroity house thing completely bamboozles me, but in terms of this show everything it is doing seems to be in sync with everything else Hollywood is teaching me about this bizarre custom.

• Love 1
(edited)

As a person outside the USA, I admit that the whole frat house and soroity house thing completely bamboozles me, but in terms of this show everything it is doing seems to be in sync with everything else Hollywood is teaching me about this bizarre custom.

Scratch what most of Hollywood shows you about Greek life. We actually had GPA requirements to stay active, but none of these people crack a book. lol Also, all a sorority is, at its most basic level, a social club.

I also want to know how Wes still has a professorship when all he does is show horror movies in class. *Snort* His class must be that joke class you take when you've got the crazy science or math one to balance things.

Fashion nitpick: They are dressing Gigi in 80s gear, not 90s gear which is the decade she's supposedly stuck in. They should have her in babydoll dresses, combat boots and a choker. I was a 90s sorority girl and wouldn't have touched her clothes with a 10 foot pole. :)

Edited by Atlanta
  • Love 1

See I do not think there is any room for realism in this show. This show you just need to turn off the brain and go with the flow.

Oh I'm not looking for realism, but even black comedy or satire has to have some semblance of internal sense. It distracts me when you have 4 sorority Sisters in this huge house, when everything else in this show about the college, from class rooms, rallies and even the boys fraternity is fully and normally populated.

It's an unnecessary distraction and cognitive dissonance because there doesn't even seem to be a comic point to such a sparsely inhabited sorority.

Edited by caracas1914

Oh I'm not looking for realism, but even black comedy or satire has to have some semblance of internal sense. It distracts me when you have 4 sorority Sisters in this huge house, when everything else in this show about the college, from class rooms, rallies and even the boys fraternity is fully and normally populated.

It's an unnecessary distraction and cognitive dissonance because there doesn't even seem to be a comic point to such a sparsely inhabited sorority.

I get that but for a comedy it just doesn't bother me as much because it is nonsensical and not meant to be real or serious.

I was actually talking about how it does bug me for the show  Code Black the premise is that the hospital gets so jam pack a with people and critical cares and  has 300 code blacks  a year when other hospitals have 5 a year.  This show is a serious one and is suppose to be  gritty and real.   But come on we all know patients would be diverted to other hospitals.

But for SQ it is just so silly that the sorority is just 4 narcissistic girls and that no one else now wanted to join becasue they would take anyone.

I guess everyone has a line to draw with this stuff.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

That's fair, all of us draw our own line what we'll take in comedy, drama, etc.

The trick for me even in a comedy is whether the characters take themselves serious enough but with good comic timing, the actors playing Hester, Chad, Denise, Zayday, Jennifer and in his brief time Nick Jonas as Boone nail it.

They seem to inhabit this surreal world fully as if it's the most normal thing.

Suprisingly I find experienced vets JLC and Oliver Hudson struggling with their comic tone.

• Love 1

That's fair, all of us draw our own line what we'll take in comedy, drama, etc.

The trick for me even in a comedy is whether the characters take themselves serious enough but with good comic timing, the actors playing Hester, Chad, Denise, Zayday, Jennifer and in his brief time Nick Jonas as Boone nail it.

They seem to inhabit this surreal world fully as if it's the most normal thing.

Suprisingly I find experienced vets JLC and Oliver Hudson struggling with their comic tone.

Yes the tone of the show also lets me push the suspension of belief line.

I agree with JLC and Hudson, especially JLC.  I thought coming into this she would be my favorite and  she is  a non entity so far. 

But I love the hamming it up of the one characters you mentioned. 

But to the subject at hand there are probably a 100 things I could nitpick but I  actually get a laugh at what some will find a nitpick.  Like I saw how some nitpicked that Red Devil was holding  his phone upside down when her was texting.

Then all I think is of all the things this show is doing that is the thing that bugs you?

Vicious circle.   :)

Edited by tom87

The rule of thumb, when I find something genuinely funny, I don't nitpick as much. If it falls flat I start noticing details.

Good comedy suspends belief.

Maybe if I found Emma Roberts funnier as the Chanel Sorority Bitch Queen it wouldn't bug me as much she has so few minions.

• Love 1

I don't get the impression that we are supposed to find anything realistic or relatable...it's fun because it's insane. All of the characters are ridiculous (except Grace, and the jarring contrast is what makes her so boring IMO). But I do think they explained the house situation in the pilot when the recruitment advisor forced them to take on more girls. Isn't the general conceit that the few girls were so filthy rich that they were funding their own exclusive chapter? I probably miss some plot points because the show is filmed at my alma mater, and I get preoccupied trying to spot places I know. I really came onboard just for that, but Denise & Chad sucked me in ;)

Edited by RedInk

My problem with JLC is when she is being giddy around the cop and Oliver Hudson.  It just doesn't work why would she be acting that way she would be more confident and/or aggressive then giddy.  Like the cop is being dumb and she acts like that is cute but when Chad is she is annoyed.

Its like she is doing the same thing as 20 year Hester is with Chad which works but doesn't work for a 50 something year old.