Type keyword(s) to search

Pan (2015)

Rick Kitchen
  • Start Topic

Man, this movie is getting horrible reviews, and I don't understand why.  I really liked it.

First off, it's beautiful.  I even loved how the Tribe members burst into brightly colored powder when they were shot.

I loved when Peter grabbed Saturn on his first flight.

I loved the singing of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Blitzkrieg Bop".

I loved the foreshadowing to the better-known story, with the references to "Tick tock" from Peter, and Hook's fear of crocodiles.

I didn't like Rooney Mara whitewashing the role of Tiger Lily, and I thought Garrett Hedlund's cowboy accent was bizarre.

I also don't like that they left the story with Peter and Hook as friends and Hook and Tiger Lily as potential love interests, with no explanation as to how Cook fell out with them.

I forgot to mention that this film has some of the best use of 3D that I've seen in a long while.

Edited by Rick Kitchen

Haven't seen it but WB must be sweating that their 150 million movie is probably not going to break 20 mil this weekend. Looks like something I would enjoy when it comes out on video, but I don't understand how a studio can think that people will show up to watch another Peter Pan movie, and marketing didn't do a good job with showing why this movie is worth watching.

Yeah, I don't understand the hate.

I didn't like Rooney Mara whitewashing the role of Tiger Lily

I think you already answered that question. I had someone tell me they hated the movie on principle because of Mara's casting and had no intention of seeing it.

• Love 1

Well, besides that, I read a review where it said the expected Pan-Hook rivalry not only wasn't explained in this movie but it ended on a line somewhat like "we're best friends, and what could possibly change that?" ... so, that doesn't sound good either.

I knew it was going to flop because I follow Executive Producer Greg Berlanti's Twitter feed and he barely mentioned it in the weeks leading up to the release. He had been chatty about it for a while but then the tweets trailed off. Either Warner Brothers eased him out of the picture to the point where he didn't feel any great loyalty to it or he knew it was going to flop and didn't want to be attached to it.