Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Help Wanted

thewhiteowl

I've just finished this episode and the previous four..  The theme I've seen this far in the season is people living with pain/trauma, etc. and the results of that in their actions.  Even Travis applying for the open position has an element of fallout from his and Branch's actions last season.

And I applaud "competent Ferg" - I always like to see the "comic character" being given a chance to evolve beyond that.

• Love 3

I like competent Ferg too. He always was, he just got in his own way. He's grown up.

I liked Walt's final test (or was it...). It was a strange interviewing process, but each step had meaning. I did feel sorry that Travis didn't get a chance, I liked how he talked about how his team was more important to him than his own achievements, at least back in high school. It showed a pretty good side of him.

I also thought the depth of the discussion of our struggling veteran's needs was well done. They covered pretty much every angle; from the veterans' difficulties with PTSD, and finding jobs; to the husbands and wives dealing with their changed circumstances; to those who want to help; and to the lack of resources. As well as emphasizing that there is no "one size fits all" pill that will help. There were times when it nudged public service announcement territory, but it didn't stay there.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 4

As well as emphasizing that there is no "one size fits all" pill that will help.

I`m glad they emphasized this a lot. I get tired of seeing the whole "just take some random pills, you`ll feel better" thing on TV, its nice to have a show directly contradict that. Yeah the episode got into a bit of PSA territory, but I don't mind. This show has always had its morality tales and its lessons, but I think it makes them interesting and fills them with nuance. Plus, its an important topic. 

Really enjoyed this one. 

• Love 4

I really enjoyed the actor playing the Zachary character.  He's bringing a lot of layers to the character...making a very interesting performance.

The last scene where Walt is removing Branch's name from the wall registry was particularly moving.

We've had a couple of death's in our office over the years.  It is one thing to empty the person's office or cubicle.  Another thing to go through the hiring process for the replacement....however deleting the person's name from "contacts" or the phonelist always felt like the most permanent action - acknowledging the person is really gone - forever.

Nicely done.

• Love 5

I'm thoroughly enjoying this whole season and this episode in particular felt very solid. It seems like having the series on Netflix is allowing for some extra time in the episodes and that time is being well spent on characterization. Ferg is more rounded out and we can appreciate why Walt keeps him around as a deputy. The hiring process of the Absoroka County Sheriff's office may seem a bit strange but it looks like it resulted in a good new hire.

• Love 1

First I have to express my amusement that the Collette family was brought back in the same episode as Billy Riggins. I was hoping that Brandi and her husband had a baby named Tyra or Mindy.

As hilarious as it was to see that Travis included a copy of his rap sheet with his application, I did sort of appreciate his reasoning behind it - he knows how the lawbreakers think, who they are, where they hang out, etc. I give him points for honesty, chutzpah, and enthusiasm.

I knew which candidate would be hired because Barry Sloane was the only one I recognized (hopefully his character on Longmire doesn't suffer the same fate as Aiden did on Revenge). Loved the candidate who initially didn't shoot the target because he said that a bear at that distance wasn't a threat. Also loved that step one in the deputy interview process is Walt's book club.

While I completely understand why Brandi's husband and the other guy's wife were so desperate to get drugs to the veterans, I totally get why the therapist refused to just hand over drugs without meeting with the patients first. Anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds are not like Advil where you can just assume they will work for everyone. There is a reason why there are so many different medications out there and why anti anxiety/anti-depressant medication is NOT over the counter. You need to take into account not only each person's medical history but people should be monitored/seen regularly by a doctor to make sure that whatever meds they are taking are actually working for them. I know several people who had to try different dosages and different drugs before they found the right one.