Type keyword(s) to search

How Should Person of Interest End?

I have started similar topics in other show forums in these parts, so, lemme ask persons interested in Person of Interest: What do you want in Season 5, if it really is its last season?

For me:

* Root dying while saving 

Shaw or Harold, or both

* Reese or Harold take out Greer (preferably Harold, but more believably Reese)

* One more flashback episode with Carter

* Reese and Zoe get together. Just more natural tension/attraction between them

* Show closes with Grace seeing Harold for the first time since the explosion

I'll take them separately: things that I want to have happen in Season 5 specifically, and then things I want for the end of the show (which may or may not overlap). For Season 5, my wish list includes:

*SHAW!!! Rejoining the team, preferably with not TOO much damage, after a deliciously tense and angsty arc about how she gets away from Samaritan. Storyline should come complete with flashbacks so we know what Samaritan did to her. Martine would be a nice cherry on top of the flashbacks, though I know Cara Buono is on a new NBC show so I'm sure Martine won't appear.

*Iris GOING AWAY and never, ever returning. Preferably taking Harper and Claire with her, too.

*Harold having to to pick up a gun and shoot someone to save the life of another team member (likely John). ME would knock what killing someone does to Harold out of the park. It would be great if the killee was Greer, but I won't be that picky. I'd accept Claire, Lambert, or any nominal bad guy.

*Harold getting off his ass and being proactive about Samaritan.

*Root getting an excellent reunion with Shaw. That could take all night. ;)

*Control busting out and being instrumental in Samaritan's takedown if Samaritan falls this season, as I'm assuming it will.

*The show really delving into Root's relationship with The Machine instead of glossing it over, as they did last season.

*Leave Elias dead. I like the character, but 13 episodes is too short to try to explain his survival and wrap him back into the show.

*Give Greer some of his bite back.

For the end of the show:

*Reese dying to save Harold's life.

*Shaw, Root, and Reese all being in God Mode simultaneously.

*Fusco absolutely losing it when he realizes Cocoa Puffs has a direct line to the AI that's been causing him so much trouble!

*Greer going down in flames. I'm torn if I want Samaritan to take him out or if I want our team to destroy Samaritan, make him watch, and THEN take him out.

*Despite myself, I think I want Harold and Grace to reunite. A large part of me thinks it's too cliche, but dammit, I do want to see Finch get some happiness.

*Root and Shaw handling (some of) the relevant numbers moving forward after the finale. In all their "we're totally a thing but Shaw will pretend she doesn't care and Root will flirt outrageously" glory.

*Bear having lots of puppies so that our team can have a Bear into perpetuity!

*No more Carter appearances, actually. At the end of the day I don't really like how she was used in Terra Incognita and don't want Round 2 of that. Plus with every appearance the poignancy of her death diminishes a little imo. Let her loss be a loss.

*Harold and whatever version of The Machine we end with to have a better relationship than Harold and The Machine 1.0 did at the end of the day.

• Love 1

I'll take them separately: things that I want to have happen in Season 5 specifically, and then things I want for the end of the show (which may or may not overlap). For Season 5, my wish list includes:

*Iris GOING AWAY and never, ever returning. Preferably taking Harper and Claire with her, too.

*Harold having to to pick up a gun and shoot someone to save the life of another team member (likely John). ME would knock what killing someone does to Harold out of the park. It would be great if the killee was Greer, but I won't be that picky. I'd accept Claire, Lambert, or any nominal bad guy.

*Harold getting off his ass and being proactive about Samaritan.

*Root getting an excellent reunion with Shaw. That could take all night. ;)

*Control busting out and being instrumental in Samaritan's takedown if Samaritan falls this season, as I'm assuming it will.

*The show really delving into Root's relationship with The Machine instead of glossing it over, as they did last season.

*Leave Elias dead. I like the character, but 13 episodes is too short to try to explain his survival and wrap him back into the show.

*Give Greer some of his bite back.

For the end of the show:

*Reese dying to save Harold's life.

*Shaw, Root, and Reese all being in God Mode simultaneously.

*Fusco absolutely losing it when he realizes Cocoa Puffs has a direct line to the AI that's been causing him so much trouble!

*Greer going down in flames. I'm torn if I want Samaritan to take him out or if I want our team to destroy Samaritan, make him watch, and THEN take him out.

*Despite myself, I think I want Harold and Grace to reunite. A large part of me thinks it's too cliche, but dammit, I do want to see Finch get some happiness.

*No more Carter appearances, actually. At the end of the day I don't really like how she was used in Terra Incognita and don't want Round 2 of that. Plus with every appearance the poignancy of her death diminishes a little imo. Let her loss be a loss.

*Harold and whatever version of The Machine we end with to have a better relationship than Harold and The Machine 1.0 did at the end of the day.

* With Harold and Grace, I think what I am aiming for is the whiskey-tango moment when she sees him, and the scene cuts to black, at the very end. Leaves a thread hanging for possible future installments.

* As much as I don't want it to happen, one of the good guys may well end up on the underside of the grass. At that point, would it be:

* Reese, as the tragic anti-hero?

* Root, who dies trying to save Shaw or Harold?

* Fusco, whose redemption and personal atonement would be complete?

I don't see Harold or Shaw dying, as this is Harold's story, and Shaw dying would feel a bit retread. 

• Love 1

I want the Machine to some how infect or corrupt Samaritan into seeing Greer as a relevant threat and acting thusly.

Members of Team Machine getting killed.... I can see Reese getting his while saving Harold, or Lionel catching many Samaritan bullets while saving Shaw or possibly Root, like Hersh trying to defuse that fertilizer bomb under the library after being shot in the back at least three times - Lionel won't go down after only one shot.

Maybe John and Lambert will take each other out?

I simply want the machine to stop speaking to Root and start speaking to Harold.

Or anybody else on Team Machine instead of just Root. It's ridiculous The Machine didn't do so to begin with, but it just got more and more absurd as the episodes went by and it STILL doesn't talk to anyone else.

What I want though don't expect to get, is Team Machine actually getting off their butts and actually attacking Decima and Samaritan directly, and after a lot of scraps, close calls, and psychological damage the team finally crushes Samaritan and Decima once and for all without a single main cast casualty except maybe Root. If this signals the end of the show then have the whole group together, then something like:

Finch: "The Machine sent another number."

Fusco: "I'm up for it, how about you Coco Puffs?"

Root: "Do you really have to ask?" "Shaw?"

Shaw: " I got nothing better to do." "John?"

Reese: "Let's get to work people."

Cue group walking to the camera, "and the adventure continues" style, roll credits.

Yeah I know, it's a cliched happy ending... sort of, but I'm so freaking tired of shows ending with everybody worthwhile dead if they even get around to actually doing an ending. Besides, it leaves room for a continuation of some sort.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 3

Cue group walking to the camera, "and the adventure continues" style, roll credits.

Yeah I know, it's a cliched happy ending... sort of, but I'm so freaking tired of shows ending with everybody worthwhile dead if they even get around to actually doing an ending. Besides, it leaves room for a continuation of some sort.

Your scenario would work for me but I was kind of hoping that TM would take down Samaritan and then shut itself down to protect humans from AIs they aren't ready for.  Followed by a flash forward 20 years to Harold and Grace's kid finding a mysterious box in the basement and with some tinkering, have TM reboot and then do the fade to black.

Edited by tessaray
  • Love 3

I have this feeling that we won't get a finale with real closure though.  A few years back I read an interview with the EPs where they said they often rewrote the plots if too many people on the internet were guessing the trajectory of the story.  Which I think is bull, because if they are telling their story well, it's still satisfying, even if we suspect where it's going. 

I'd love an ending that left my jaw on the ground but I'd rather have a traditional end than one where all I can say is "WTF was that?". 

• Love 3
(edited)

There has to be the final showdown between Harold and Greer. I don't think it will be a vengeance killing, as it's not in Harold's nature.

Also wouldn't mind Lambert getting whacked by Reese, Shaw, or Root. I wasn't a Blake fan when Julian Ovenden was on Downton Abbey (seemed a bit mush-headed), and he doesn't seem cold enough or dark enough as Greer's top lieutenant. Greer seems more like Palpatine (even sort of looks like him), and I don't know if the writers have drawn Lambert well enough. Now, Martine, MARTINE was a good, dark character. Seeing her and Reese or Shaw in the last stand would have been pretty awesome.

I am betting that among Team Machine, Reese is the most likely to end up a casualty. 

Edited by DeepRunner
  • Love 1