Type keyword(s) to search

The Stand-Up: Mostly Sex Stuff & Beyond

I figured that there could be a thread for Amy's stand-up rountines, both on IAS and in general. I hear her a lot on XM (Comedy Central and Raw Dog), so I'm familiar with her stuff. Basically, she's the nice Jewish girl next door with a dark streak. I even went as far as seeing her perform several years ago at the Stress Factory in NJ. I told her that she got jobbed in Last Comic Standing and Reality Bites Back, and I meant it. She's that good of a comedian. As always, your milage may vary.

BTW, "Mostly Sex Stuff" refers to her Comedy Central special, which is a blast to watch even if it's bleep-filled . . . especially the end, where she talks about attending a brunch with a friend who's just as slutty as her but is trying to impress her new friends.

I told her that she got jobbed in Last Comic Standing and Reality Bites Back, and I meant it.

You met her? Cool. Was she nice or kind of douchy?

I agree that Amy should have gone farther than she did on Last Comic Standing. But I also think she's a better comedian now than she was then. Not just the sex jokes, which she obviously couldn't do much of on NBC. But when I watch her do stand up now, she's more confident and comfortable on stage than she was on LCS.  I've never seen Reality Bites Back

Reality Bites Back was a bit of a parody of reality shows, hosted by Michael Ian Black, The winner was Theo Von, best known for being "Last Comic Downloaded" in a past LCS season, his time on Road Rules and Real World/Road Rules Challenge, and for going on to host a prank show produced by Howie Mandel. Amy finished second . . . I don't remember the specifics, but I thought she was jobbed. And yeah, she was cool when I met her.

• Love 1

Just wondering if anybody else has seen Amy's HBO special. It was good . . . I didn't laugh out loud until the last few minutes, where she described the sex act known as "The Houdini." I feel that I might be getting jaded, and that she's still a good comic. Who knows how long she'll be doing stand-up now that she's experienced success on TVs and in theaters,

I appreciated the jokes about her weight and what she had to go through for the movie.  She does look in better shape now, so there's that. 

The guy in the audience trying to explain some sex act while sitting next to his mother was hilarious.

• Love 1

I played that part a couple of times. I like the material on the show where Amy is in the street or with a guest because she's great on her feet and reacting to things. Once she incredulously blurted out "that's your *mother*?!!" The camera stayed on the crowd more and the mother just buried her face in her hands the whole time. 

I thought the UTI bit was funny too. 

She had a good point about being known as a "sex comic" because she's a woman. The joke was good, but I would have liked her to continue the theme.