Type keyword(s) to search

Travis Manawa: Shining a Light into Darkness

• Start Topic

From the pilot episode thread:

I read that Travis's character was originally written as Hispanic, but was changed to Maori when Cliff Curtis was cast. That's understandable, but why didn't Curtis keep his New Zealand accent as well? It seems a little odd as the amount of Americans of Maori descent is pretty small.

I had no idea Cliff Curtis is a Kiwi. His American accent is a million times better than Andy Lincoln's.

If anyone can come up with better thread titles for the character threads, by all means, come up with something and tell me to change it. It's just there is not much "distinctive" about the characters right now (save for Nick).

Not our step (or Nobody's step)

Doing the best he can

Building a family

Mr. Fix-It

He gets it

Edited by editorgrrl

Yep, he's a Kiwi.  He seems to be kind of a chameleon when it comes to accents, probably because he's played everything under the sun from sheikhs to Colombian drug lords.  I think it would have been more logical for him to keep his NZ accent, though.  It doesn't seem particularly thick, as he's pretty easy to understand in interviews. 

Travis seems like a decent guy, or at the very least a guy with good intentions.  He stayed with Nick when Maddie had to get to work, and seemed to believe that Nick's encounter with Walker Gloria wasn't just a bad trip.  Both show that he genuinely cares about Maddie and her family, and that he's not an overly judgmental person. 

I'm curious to find out what's up with the bad blood between him and his son.  Travis actually seems to be on fairly good terms with his ex-wife, so whatever reason Chris has to be angry with his dad seems to be just between them. 

Edited by eejm
  • Love 3

I'm curious to find out what's up with the bad blood between him and his son. Travis actually seems to be on fairly good terms with his ex-wife, so whatever reason Chris has to be angry with his dad seems to be just between them.

I just thought a teenage son was angry his dad expected him to come play "happy blended family." Besides, who'd want to hang out all weekend at a hospital with a junky and dad's annoying girlfriend?

I didn't like Travis trying to guilt Chris by saying Nick would've come to visit Chris in the hospital. Junkies are selfish.

• Love 4

^^ Sure - sounds good. We can change it again later if something more definitive about the character happens or that the character does.

ETA: Oh, I changed In the to Into, because it flows a bit better and also, he shone actual light into the darkness of the church, but also is trying to shine positive light into the "darkness" in Maddie's life and his own life. Hope that makes sense.

He seems to be a good guy.

As for the son's anger, he probably didn't want them to divorce.

Doesn't seem like infidelity(on his part) caused the split.

More than likely Chris was hoping his parents might reconcile.

Dad's new girlfriend might put a crimp in that pipe dream.

• Love 1

I had no idea Cliff Curtis is a Kiwi. His American accent is a million times better than Andy Lincoln's.

To be fair, a generic (Midwest) accent is probably easier than a Southern one.  Even American actors (Emily Kinney) do crummy Southern accents.  Hell, even some Southern actors (Julia Roberts) do crummy Southern accents.

Of TWD actors, I always thought David Morrisey had the best Brit Southern accent.  Love Lauren Cohan, but hers is the worst.

• Love 5