Type keyword(s) to search

Castle Positivity Thread

We all snark and complain elsewhere, so this is the thread to gush about what you love about the show! What first hooked you? Which scenes and episodes stand out as favorites? Do you adore the acting, the dialogue, the wit, the mysteries...? This is the place to spread the love! 

The humor and the unique-ness of some of the cases. I've never been into cop shows (Starsky & Hutch not withstanding), so this is my first (in decades) experience with the genre.

I also see the chemistry with all the actors. Not alot of shows have that with the leads, much less the minor characters.

Also, I've been playing alot of "spot the actor". There seems to be alot of QAF actors in 'Castle'.

• Love 1

Random things I love: 

The classic 'screwball comedy' feel of early seasons that's happily reminiscent of some of my all-time favorite movies, the chemistry between Beckett and Castle, the fact that they're not classic (and, for me, annoying) bickering 'opposites attract' but actually have a surprising amount in common and get each other well enough to literally finish each other's sentences, the witty dialogue, the surprisingly engaging, well done and sometimes even thought provoking whodunits in earlier seasons (as a lifelong mystery fan, they're nearly always so much better than I expect them to be!), Beckett's shorter hair, the deep love and concern for Alexis that added an awesome depth and dimension to Castle's early characterization, the great filming of New York City and the show's exploration of all different facets of life in the city, Castle's infectious enthusiasm and his writer's imagination, moments when Ryan is shown to be a surprisingly innocent sweetheart despite being a (mostly!) competent and savvy cop, the casting of guest stars, the way that (at least in the episodes I love most!) Castle is one of the only mystery shows out there that retains its sense of humor and cozy charm without becoming too depressingly grim an self-serious. 

• Love 2

Should we challenge ourselves to come up positive things about each season?! S1 shouldn't be too hard in this regard, since IMO there's a lot to love! Reasons to adore S1 in no logical order whatsoever: 

We get my favorite incarnation of Beckett's character; Castle at his most physically attractive and charming (which could sometimes veer into smarm but, hey, this is the positivity thread!); Alexis and the Castle/Alexis relationship at arguably their very most lovable; so much energy, fun, rapid-fire wit and relatively little stress and angst; there was still reason to think that Esposito, Lanie etc would be developed into more interesting, sharply defined characters who had nuanced friendships with our main characters; Mombatross was actually an intriguing piece of background about Beckett that helped explain her character's behavior and motivations without turning into a show-swallowing, convoluted mess; the chemistry between Castle and Beckett was crackling; I believed wholeheartedly then that Beckett really WAS different from the other types of women in Castle's life while he added fun and enthusiasm to hers; most of the whodunits this season are engaging and sometimes sneakily poignant and thought provoking; while some could see S1's lack of seriousness as a drawback, I actually thought S1 showcased the writers' and actors' strengths and the infectious fun, 'screwball' comedy that set it apart from so many other grim crime dramas---the show embraced its destiny as a comparatively lighthearted, enjoyable, romantic and comedic romp then rather than trying with very mixed success to get "deep", and there's just a freshness, energy and charm to this season that's virtually unmatched.

What do YOU love best about S1?!  

• Love 1

Thanks for the video.

"The weekend hadn't turned out exactly as Detective Heat had imagined but now nothing not even another murder on the beach could stop her getting exactly what she desired.." I really enjoyed the Hamptons episode and especially that moment showing how as a writer and his muse they inspire each other and I love the moment she runs back to give him another kiss in Still. Awwwww. I stopped watching after that bit lol, nothing can get me to re-watch Squab and Watershed. 

I don't need to add anything to why season 1 was so great, you've covered it.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Today's daily dose of positivity, featuring a youtube video highlighting some great moments from S3:

Ah, S3...you managed to become my very favorite season despite the Gina and Josh stuff, which is no easy feat :) Castle himself was arguably at his most likable that season for me: not as slick, arrogant and proudly immature as the (admittedly often very sexy!) playboy of S1 and to some extent S2, yet still full of the charm, enthusiasm, and charisma that made the character so magnetic for many and which seems IMO to fade beginning around S4 or so.  As for Beckett, let's start with the most important thing first: her S3 hair is my very favorite, so what else could any fan ask for? ;) Seriously, she's a little softer and more open this season, which makes sense since she's more comfortable with Castle by now, but still (usually!) recognizably the Beckett I admired and related to from the earliest seasons. I love the S3 Beckett/Castle dynamic despite the (mercifully minimized) existence of their significant others---their friendship was clearly deeper and they were more open and serious with each other than they used to be when they were first getting to know each other, but there was still tons of the sizzling chemistry and fluffy flirtatious banter that I adore. S3 also has some great individual cases, a really good balance of lighthearted humor with comparatively serious episodes and themes, and contains the last episodes during which I really like Alexis. (I actually love her and her relationship with Castle a little less here than I do in S1-S2, but since this is the positivity thread, I'll just focus on the fact that she doesn't annoy me nearly as much here as she does later on!) The Caskett kiss in Knockdown is still arguably among their very best, despite the fact that they were 'undercover.' :) And it was a pleasant surprise to discover that the Gina and Josh stuff takes up far less screen time than I had recalled. In fact, if I'm being really determinedly positive, I can even argue that they served a purpose: we saw Castle decisively realizing that he had changed and was no longer a person who could be truly happy with Gina, while Beckett dating Josh showed that she was ready to start letting herself be vulnerable enough to be in a committed relationship. Not that I'm still not tempted to fast forward through Gina and Josh stuff, of course---I'm just saying that we could argue they weren't TOTALLY useless as stops on Castle and Beckett's inevitable journey towards each other :) I just love this season: the look, the feel, the dialogue, etc. And even the relatively 'eh' episodes generally have scenes I think are well worth watching. 

• Love 1

After last night's episode, I'm in desperate need of a little positivity so...um...well, I can honestly say that the stuff going on this season makes me appreciate most of the previous scenes more in retrospect. A lot of what I liked about S1-S5 to begin with is even more praise worthy now compared of much of what's followed it, and even most of the stuff I've complained about doesn't seem as bad in retrospect when one considers how depressed and annoyed the show has already made me feel this season. So...there's that. Thanks for making me love the earlier seasons more than ever before, writers!  

• Love 1

New here. Just got on the Castle bandwagon and I'm loving every second. I'm an X Files fan, so this has a similar feel (between the two main characters) but so much more lighthearted. Beckett is part Mulder and part Scully, but she's also the part we never got to see with Scully. The fun and flirty part. I don't care one bit if the legal stuff is real or true. I don't watch tv for things to be totally factual and believable. I watch to escape every day life and this show does that very well. I love the quips, the snark, the jealously, the attraction. Nathan is oh so handsome and Stana is freaking gorgeous. So if there's a less than stellar plot one episode, at least I've got enough eye candy. Castle being shocked when he gets in over his head but ends up saving the day is fun to watch. As is Beckett when she gets mad and screaming.

• Love 2

So this seems like a good time to revive this thread! We've all discussed the show's many problems, but this is the place to talk about what you loved and still love about it, what you'll miss, which characters/seasons/episodes/scenes will go down as your favorites, etc. Which moments stand out as the sweetest, funniest, most romantic, best acted, etc.? If nothing else, we can post some of our favorite pictures and memories, because why not try to boost our moods, right?! (If your week was anything like mine, a mood boost sounds awfully welcome right now!)

I've been avoiding the TNT reruns because this season has soured me on the show a bit, but I've peeked a few times since all this craziness started, and was pleased to find the old episodes still hold up for me. Caught a few minutes of After Hours and Secret Santa: loved the moment in After Hours when KB jumps into Castle's arms, and Castle's speech in Bad Santa about how all faiths celebrate the light. I am actually looking forward to going back to the early days and reacquainting myself with short-haired, slightly awkward Kate, and Richard "I know a guy" Castle. 

• Love 2

. I am actually looking forward to going back to the early days and reacquainting myself with short-haired, slightly awkward Kate, and Richard "I know a guy" Castle.

Same here, Mary,47! We should all pick some early episodes to rewatch once the show ends :) 

• Love 1

I don't know if this is really a positive or not, but have you noticed that there are a fair number of shows emulating the Castle formula?  Hard-nosed female cop or PI hooks up (usually unwillingly) with charming eccentric civilian who proves to be a real asset in solving cases. 

There's a new Luke Perry series  (can't remember the name) where he's a washed-up actor who partners with a private eye.  I just saw a promo for something (don't know if it's a series or MOTW) about a 5-star chef who helps a cop investigate murders in restaurants.  And then there's Lucifer, when the devil himself attaches himself to a female cop.  (I must admit to liking that one.)

Imitation is supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery.  I don't know whether the show should feel flattered or not.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Pippin said:

I don't know if this is really a positive or not, but have you noticed that there are a fair number of shows emulating the Castle formula? 

To be fair, it really isn't the Castle formula. Bones did it before Castle, Moonlighting did it before Bones, Scarecrow & Mrs. King did it before Moonlighting, and Remington Steele did it before all of 'em! It's tried and true. (I didn't add Hart To Hart from 1979 because neither of the two were a PI or cop in the pairing...)

• Love 2

There's still so much I love about this show and always will!

The way that Castle and Beckett's differences in personalities and backgrounds usually challenged, complemented and intrigued each other instead of just making them seem really incompatible and too opposite to ever connect. How in many instances Castle and Beckett turned out to be more alike than assumed in the ways that matter. How deeply they both care about their cases and literally finish each other's sentences because they are so in sync about a certain suspect or theory. How Castle helped Beckett trust, open up and enjoy life more while his feelings for deepen him and help him to mature.     

Castle's relationships with Martha and Alexis. I know Alexis became harder to like, but tbh Alexis and her bond with Castle is one of my very favorite things about the first three seasons of this show. I loved Alexis as a character during those first few seasons and also how her role allowed us to see the more loving, serious and responsible sides of Castle. Same goes for Martha through most of the series, though maybe to a slightly lesser extent. 

Mysteries that may not have been brilliant but usually did keep me engaged and wondering whondunnit. I think they were plotted better than most TV mysteries, but I know that's very open for debate. Aside from the few darker and more serious episodes they gave us every season, I loved that this was one of the only crime and mystery shows left that didn't take itself too seriously and gave us and their characters so many moments of humor, fun and happiness. The writers had fun with the usual mystery tropes and exploring different environments and subcultures that Caskett's cases brought them into contact with. They were usually able to include some humor while still showing basic respect for the victims.  

Speaking of, I love the way this show does humor - the witty lines, the way they make gentle but clever fun of whatever type of setting or subcultures their investigation brings them into contact with, and even the actors' facial expressions.

Castle's joie de vivre, his love of life and his genuine enthusiasm for a wide range of topics. It's infectious and is a main reason why watching this show almost always puts me in a better mood.   

Kevin Ryan and his friendships with the other characters. Castle and Beckett are my favorite and the show's best developed characters, but Ryan is probably the one I'd most love to be close to in real life. He's just so kind and retains a trusting, open innocence no matter what he's been exposed to on the job. 

The way they use New York City as a character. There are some episodes that might as well have taken place anywhere in the world, but generally speaking I thought this show did a terrific job of grounding the stories in different facets of urban life and capturing some of the energy, diversity and atmosphere of NYC. 

That short theme song. It only lasts a few seconds but has me bouncing in my chair when I hear it and seems to fit perfectly with the show's tone.  

• Love 2

Nice post, whateverhappened.  I don't know if your handle is with reference to Castle, but I dig it.  Whatever happened (and I'm so over people making drama), let's just appreciate what we had.

Castle may not have been the most well crafted TV show ever or particularly deserving of critical acclaim, but it's one of those shows which can put a smile on your face and bring good cheer, and that's very valuable.  When I rewatch, I find something to enjoy in most episodes, even in the latter seasons.  The fantastic chemistry between Nathan and Stana is always something I will appreciate.

• Love 1

Almost done bingeing the series for the Xth time, and there is one more episode to go. I keep putting it off because there is no other show I enjoy bingewatching as much as I have this show.  

3 minutes ago, newyawk said:

Almost done bingeing the series for the Xth time, and there is one more episode to go. I keep putting it off because there is no other show I enjoy bingewatching as much as I have this show.  

I discovered the series late (at the end of season 3), so binge-watching seasons 1-3 was some of the most enjoyable TV viewing I'd ever experienced. 

What I appreciated is that all of the characters were allowed to have vulnerabilities. Smooth-talking, lady-killer Rick Castle still cared what other people thought about him, and he did his best to treat people well: in his family, at the precinct, etc.  And I'd say that except for the last few seasons, tough cop Kate was sometimes insecure about her dating life, her friendships, and even her worth as a detective. 

• Love 2