Type keyword(s) to search

Westerns: Old & New

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

Murry Christmas (Gunsmoke) was on this week, so we watched it again. I never get tired of it.

Starz Westerns afternoon line up now includes Wyatt Earp, two Death Valley Days, Tales of Wells Fargo, and The Rifleman. I’m enjoying The Rifleman; I haven’t seen any of them before that I recall.

26 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Murry Christmas (Gunsmoke) was on this week, so we watched it again. I never get tired of it.

Starz Westerns afternoon line up now includes Wyatt Earp, two Death Valley Days, Tales of Wells Fargo, and The Rifleman. I’m enjoying The Rifleman; I haven’t seen any of them before that I recall.

I consider The Rifleman as the best in its class of the half hour western or modern, mostly up to the 80s, cop/action shows

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/24/2021 at 10:53 PM, Raja said:

I consider The Rifleman as the best in its class of the half hour western or modern, mostly up to the 80s, cop/action shows

Despite the improbability of the show, I agree it is top-notch.  They had a lot of very good character actors, who they frequently reused in different roles.  Personally I have a soft spot for half-hour dramas, the writing seems to be tighter.

On 1/15/2024 at 6:42 PM, Madding crowd said:

My son and I just started watching the old Daniel Boone show with Fess Parker. We especially like the theme song 🎵 Daniel Boone was a man, yes a big man! Lol

I like Daniel Boone, it had a decent cast and the stories were interesting, even though they jumped around in time from the Seven Years War to the War of 1812, without being chronological.  It's the kind of show that we'll never see again. It is one of the better theme songs, but Car 54 Where Are You? is still the best. "What a Boone, what a doer, what a dream come a truer was he."

• Like 2

Yes, I’ve been telling my son he’s a dream come truer and he thinks it’s hilarious. I notice they took that line out of the theme song in later years. I like the earlier episodes which are more ‘western-like’ rather than the later ones where Daniel is dressed in finery. 

• Like 2
On 1/18/2024 at 5:26 PM, Madding crowd said:

Yes, I’ve been telling my son he’s a dream come truer and he thinks it’s hilarious. I notice they took that line out of the theme song in later years. I like the earlier episodes which are more ‘western-like’ rather than the later ones where Daniel is dressed in finery. 

I like the earlier ones because their seemed to be more actual outdoor footage while later they seemed to have the outdoors take place on sets, or the back lot.

• Like 2

One of the best "Maverick" episodes ran today on H&I (1/26), "The Cats of Paradise."  Bret becomes a cat wrangler when he's conned into collecting cats to sell to miners in a distant, rat-infested mining town run by evil sheriff Buddy Ebsen.  At one point he meets up with a Paladin parody, who wants to kill him.

• Like 2