Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 in Athens, GA

I'm assuming with the same cast?  I thought Murray seemed the most affected by his "fame" on the reunion show. It also seemed like the BFF thing had cooled between Mattie and Lil Bit.  I look forward to Season 2.  Any idea when it premieres?

Yes!!! Especially be listening for loud obnoxious caterwauling from some dude screaming, "I'm a Boudreax!!!  I'm a Louisanimal!!!"   He is Lyle and he's reality tv gold, meaning totally annoying when drunk.

(edited)

I enjoyed the first episode.  Mattie seems to be trying to chill out, but I am sure it won't last long.  Lyle is bound and determined to ratch the crazy up several notches this season and the drunk fighting? Lord.  Lil Bit's description of Murray's, errr, package had me rolling.  "There really wasn't much to see BLESS HIS HEART.  It looked like a baby carrot with a couple of potatoes." 

ETA: didn't see the episode thread, so putting it there too

Edited by KYBlonde

Didn't realize they had chosen a venue.  They were rejected in some other towns and there was a question of whether the cast was going to get enough money or whether they'd be replaced.

Athens is a college town?

I don't think any of these people went to college.  Would they go to the same hangouts as the college students?

The University of Georgia is in Athens. They were barred from a LOT of places in town, but ended up at some of the bars frequented by the students. A lot of the sororities and fraternities were told to steer clear of this bunch.

Would they go to the same hangouts as the college students?

I wouldn't see why not.  A bar is a bar; & college kids at a bar are doing the same things these kids do. 

A lot of the sororities and fraternities were told to steer clear of this bunch.

That doesn't surprise me at all.

• Love 1

I think the old movie Breaking Away was filmed in Athens, GA.  While it wasn't the main topic of the movie, there was some about the townies vs. the college students IIRC.

College students looked down on the townies, who resented the students.

Also, didn't Ben Rothlisberger go to some small GA college town to party and that's where he was alleged to have raped some college girl?

The TV series that came after the series Breaking Away was filmed here. This was a big deal when I was in fourth grade.  There isn't really the divide of the people who don't go to college vs. those who do here. Athens considers "townies" what other places would call "hipsters". They may or may not go to college. Downtown is small, but there is definitely one side which is more fraternity/sorority and one side which is not that.

The Rothlisberger thing was Milledgeville, GA which is town with a much smaller college and population.

Breaking Away was a story based at Indiana University in Bloomington, IN.  

Athens is famous for UGA (University of Georgia) and being the home of the music group REM.  UGA is where upper middle class progeny go when they don't have the grades for, or inclination to attend, a prestigious school.  It's a great choice for PDS as it has a well-earned reputation for being a party school.  Of course, when the parents of the rich kids found out, they had a cow as they like to keep up pretense and protect their babies from the likes of the lower-class riff raff.