Type keyword(s) to search

Steve Moses: His Alliance is a One Man Choir

I got the thread title from Steven's YouTube video, which RedheadZombie kindly linked to over in the episode thread. Damn, if he isn't talented. Listen for yourself and you'll see what I mean.

I like him a lot. He is clearly not cut out for the social part of this game, but I have liked seeing him talk with Vanessa and Julia. I don't get the creepy vibe from him that some do.

Even though the rest of the cast has dismissed him, there are seasons where the houseguests would have chewed him up and spit him out, so he is fortunate to be with a house of people who are basically decent.

• Love 4

Thank you so much, Kris117!  I saw the mentions of Steve's threadlessness (yes, that's a word.  Because I said so) when the video was posted, and I was torn between guilt and "you make ten HG threads, they want 11.  Sigh" resignation.  Great job on the title; I kept getting hung up on Steve's surname and "the BB House is his Promised Land" or something like that, but nothing was clicking.

And yeah, Steve's lucky he wound up in a season where the "mean" side of the House isn't all that mean, relatively speaking.  (I knew Andy Herren, and you, Jason Roy, are no Andy Herren.  Thankfully.)  But you've still got lots of characters, from Douchebros Jace and Jeff to Delusional Austin, Controlling Shelli, Paranoid Vanessa, Compulsive Liar Audrey, the Whiny (but adorable!) Twins and Weird John and Awkward Steve, so the idea that a "nice" cast has to be bland has been disproven, IMO.  Good for them, good for the season, and as noted, good for Steve.

As someone who's lived in various places in New York State, even I was confused as to where Gouverneur is.  It turns out that it's a small town (population 7085), up past Watertown and about an hour east of the St. Lawrence Seaway and the Thousand Islands.  I wonder if that contributed to Steve's social awkwardness, being from a small town and also the child of late-in-life parents (his dad, a Vietnam veteran, is 70 and his mom is 60; they were 48 and 38 when Steve [22] was born).  No siblings, not many classmates, and parents old enough to be your grandparents; it's no wonder Steve was drawn to the dynamics of this crazy house at a very young age.  I hope he's enjoying it.

OTOH, Gouverneur is also the hometown of Edward Noble, the inventor of LifeSavers™.  So the next time you're sucking down a pack of Tropical Fruits (try the mango, it's delicious!) think of Steve, why don't you?

Edited by DAngelus
  • Love 1

You are welcome, DAngelus. I've enjoyed all of the thread titles you've come up with.

And yeah, Steve's lucky he wound up in a season where the "mean" side of the House isn't all that mean, relatively speaking.  (I knew Andy Herren, and you, Jason Roy, are no Andy Herren.  Thankfully.)  But you've still got lots of characters, from Douchebros Jace and Jeff to Delusional Austin, Controlling Shelli, Paranoid Vanessa, Compulsive Liar Audrey, the Whiny (but adorable!) Twins and Weird John and Awkward Steve, so the idea that a "nice" cast has to be bland has been disproven, IMO.  Good for them, good for the season, and as noted, good for Steve.

That's one thing I've really enjoyed about this season. There is no one I viscerally loathe (although Austin is getting very, very close) and no one I absolutely adore and must see win. I'm interested in watching how this plays out from week to week. There are a number of people I'd be perfectly comfortable with should they win.

I wonder if that contributed to Steve's social awkwardness, being from a small town and also the child of late-in-life parents (his dad, a Vietnam veteran, is 70 and his mom is 60; they were 48 and 38 when Steve [22] was born).  No siblings, not many classmates, and parents old enough to be your grandparents; it's no wonder Steve was drawn to the dynamics of this crazy house at a very young age.  I hope he's enjoying it.

I wouldn't be surprised if those factors contributed to his awkwardness. It's certainly not that everyone growing up with older parents/in a small town has difficulty relating to others, but if an individual's personality is leaning that way, there's not much chance to get comfortable with others at an earlier age. Being gifted wouldn't help either.

Speaking of sounding like a know-it-all, apparently Steve does have a brother, contrary to what I wrote upthread.  My bad.

And what's with the "you haven't won anything" shade John was throwing at him?  Steve had already won a Veto this season, and he threw the comp the only other time he was in it.  Back off, Dr. Drill!

• Love 1

Speaking of sounding like a know-it-all, apparently Steve does have a brother, contrary to what I wrote upthread.  My bad.

And what's with the "you haven't won anything" shade John was throwing at him?  Steve had already won a Veto this season, and he threw the comp the only other time he was in it.  Back off, Dr. Drill!

Actually, he won two Vetos. He won the first Veto when he was on the block. I'm pretty sure whenever he has been on the block (post BOTB), he's won Veto and taken himself off. It goes to show he is a competitor, but he probably is legit throwing the competitions because he doesn't need to win them. Steve seems a lot like me, more introverted and possibly more socially anxious, so being in power when he doesn't need to be is not an ideal situation for him. So, basically, Steve is tied with John with Veto wins now.

• Love 2

Yes, I meant that at the time John said that, Steve had already won one of the two Veto comps he had participated in to that point.  (Won Week 1, threw Week 2, wasn't picked Weeks 3-6 [hosted Week 4] and now, won Week 7.  He's two out of three, and the only time he didn't win it, he threw it.)  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

• Love 1

Can anyone tell me why Steve disliked Becky so much?

I'm not sure Steve or Becky could tell you that either.

The only thing I saw was that Steve viewed Becky as vapid and a "mean girl" and had absolutely nothing in common with her. So, it wasn't really a game thing, Steve just doesn't (or didn't) like her on a personal level.

• Love 2

Can anyone tell me why Steve disliked Becky so much?

Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I had the strong impression (a) Becky often spoke with varying degrees of condescension to Steve's face, and (b) did the mean-girl rip-him-up thing behind his back to others.

And with regards to (b) - Becky could have used lessons in effective whisperering, because she was overheard by Steve on at least one occasion (immediately before the competition featuring his "mad scientist" DR).

• Love 3