Type keyword(s) to search

S14:E18: Give Me One Reason

MegaJ

Maya (Olivia Scriven) knows the house rules, but she can’t stop thinking about Zig (Ricardo Hoyos). She wants to keep her promise to her mom, but the feelings are hard to ignore. Clare (Aislinn Paul) is distraught after a recent tragedy. In an effort to shield herself from grief, she embarks on an impromptu trip to New York, along with an unwitting passenger. Hunter (Spencer Macpherson) has a crush on his friend Arlene (Devyn Nekoda), but unfortunately, romance isn’t his strong suit. Imogen (Cristine Prosperi) convinces him that a grand gesture is the perfect way to get Arlene’s attention, but Hunter isn’t so sure. He could risk losing Arlene’s friendship in an attempt to win her love.

RE Maya and Zig: the pressure is going to be insane, because he basically lost his home for this relationship. If it doesn't work out,

she will never get over the guilt-- it might even be worse than what she feels about Cam. And even if it does, what kind of stress is he going to be under, and how will that affect the relationship?

I can't decide if Maya's mom was right to just say: "OK; then Zig's out," or if she should have tried a little harder to talk some sense into them. At first I thought she was quite impressively calm, when she caught them kissing. But she let go of Zig's well-being really fast, apparently without even talking to him once about what was going on. It was pretty cold, really. Not that she doesn't have a legitimate reason to think the situation is problematic, but it was just so easy for her to put out the decree, it kind of hurt my heart. Zig is really trying, and he was going to choose security over romance. But he probably felt, when Maya said maybe she couldn't, that he had no choice about staying, because she wasn't going to co-operate. What a mess. You may not be able to choose who you love, but you can choose how you act, and if you love someone, you put their well-being at the top of your list of priorities. I know they're teens, and it's hard to do, but still... this is going to be even worse.

Hunter is so socially awkward. I wish he had confessed to giving the flowers, but would Arlene have believed him? He should have just signed the card, or looked for a gesture that he felt able to own up to. Poor kid. Shyness is awful. I used to be shy like that and it's killer. I wonder what Frankie and Imogen would have advised him if he told them what happened. He really doesn't have any friends he can talk to, it seems like he doesn't really trust anyone but Frankie, and he barely trusts her either.

• Love 1

I hope Netflix casts Hunter a friend.

I don't know how I feel about Zig/Maya, since it's been building for a while, but I hope at least Cam gets mentioned more. JT was mentioned for years after he died.

Cam is also another reason I hate Tristan. He of all people should realize that this might be why Mays is so worried about people.

• Love 1

So Clare's miscarriage feels like a really neat way to tie up that storyline and EClare feels pretty set in stone. Still, anything can happen on Netflix. I wonder if we'll check in on them at NYU/Columbia.

No. I refuse to go along with the Zig/Maya OTP. Usually I can be converted pretty easily but there's something about Maya. I couldn't do Maya/Miles and I can't do this. 

Hunter and Arlene are cute together. I'm sure there will be more bumps along the road but I like that they're friends and they found something that works. Not everyone has a flowers and chocolate relationship. It'll depend on the effects of puberty but I see him as a junior Declan. He could be a real heart breaker in the future so I'm not sure if this pairing is set in stone. They like to mix up the attractive guys in different pairings. Example: Drew and... everyone. 

I don't have much to add about Give Me One Reason. It was all good, very emotional etc.

Throwing the heart-wrenching kink that Clare has to still deliver a stillborn baby made this episode feel more melancholy and laid out Clare's motives to get away from anything. The EClare didn't feel too overbearing. I was surprised Maya's mother was all like "welp, deuces" to the thought of sending Zig out but it was time that he did and he eventually had to face his mother. So now after Zig and Maya realize they love each other, we get another road block. Le sigh. Arlene was kinda mean towards Hunter, but I think that was the actress's delivery. Maybe she confused sarcasm/aloofness for anger. It was a cute plot nonetheless. And seriously Arlene you read Lobo? SMH.

Side note: Why is Clare dressed so frumpily? I know she's pregnant and all, but she's 17 or 18 years old. Every shirt she wore was like this loose button-up shirt, done to the very top.

I'm missing Snake in these last episodes. Does anyone know if Stefan Brogren didn't want to do it anymore, or what?

• Love 1
(edited)

Side note: Why is Clare dressed so frumpily? I know she's pregnant and all, but she's 17 or 18 years old. Every shirt she wore was like this loose button-up shirt, done to the very top.

I'm missing Snake in these last episodes. Does anyone know if Stefan Brogren didn't want to do it anymore, or what?

And "Hardy Har Har"? How many high school kids say that - my mom used to say that when I was a kid, foolin' around and being mouthy and whatnot. Claire's never really been cutting edge, though...(as opposed to say, Tristan "You've been sniffing each other's butts for months/Total drams! Where's my popcorn?"). Frumpy language to go with the frumpy wardrobe...

As for Stefan, he's number one on the producing credits (Series Producer) so (as Howard Stern says about the people he's fired from his rapidly declining radio show), "He's around."  I'm Old School DeGrassi (Zit Remedy!), so depending on the season Snake's consistently one of my 2 or 3 favorite characters, and I miss him, too.  For as long as he's been a cast member, you'd think he'd have stuck around for this last season.  

Claire's plot line was difficult to watch, but I'm glad they didn't go overboard with the sentimentality - it was a little touch-and-go for me, but ultimately they handled it just right in terms of her getting past the denial stage and finding a level of acceptance.  I don't know if I could have watched her with a footprint or a lock of hair. Adam's death upset me somewhat, but had they really "gone there" with a still birth I might have had to execute a doomed-to-fail Fast Forward Self Defense Tear Avoidance Maneuver.    

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 1