Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Ballroom

Episode synopsis: The gang decides to join Ash and Jess at a ballroom dancing class. Nimble on his feet, Stuart quickly becomes teacher's pet, leaving Freddie in a huff, while Violet becomes a hit with the amorous teacher in other ways.

Just got around to watching this episode, and wow, the last couple of minutes are pretty powerful for a show that's always been a lightweight little comedy. Ash being turned down by his girlfriend was truly a shock (and the way in which it was done, ouch), and to go from that to such a sweet moment with Freddie and Stuart...just, wow. Very unexpected. 

• Love 1

I liked seeing Stuart assert himself more, and Freddie finally showing some sweetness. I was sad that he had that ring and never gave it to Stuart, but in the end it worked out. I had a feeling Jess was going to turn Ash down, and actually thought she was deliberately sabotaging his first few attempts to declare his love.

Also, at first I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but in the end I was glad Violet finally found a lover who appreciates her. The gag about "old lady hot to trot but no one wants her" was getting really obnoxious, but I don't at all mind "old ladies are hot!" as a legitimate theme. How old is Violet, anyway? She looks much younger than the rest, except Ash of course. Is she supposed to be the same generation, or one between Ash and The Rest Of The Cast?

I loved when Stuart and Violet were dancing, his mobile rang, and he casually dropped her to the floor. I also liked when Freddie couldn't get up from kneeling. I liked how Ian communicated that without doing much of anything. The audience started laughing and THEN he said he couldn't get up.

One other part I liked was when Freddie gave Ash his mother's ring, then when Ash blew the dust away and asked what it was, Freddie said, "Mother."

• Love 1