Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Well, but the character who spoke them also gave Sansa the candle, to call for help. 

I agree, it's not a battle cry, but it's also pretty meaningless and useless if we're going to buy this Key to the North business and how Sansa can unite the bannerman through her union with Ramsay (I wish there was a sarcasm font).  

-------------

Pretty fucking sure this story started out as a purely patriarchal society where women couldn't inherit jack.  However, if they can make it work....problem is, not working right now.

1st bolded bit: I understood that to be the same as Arya's saying Valar Morghulis. It's kind of a greeting code identifying a fellow traveller. And I'm not sure we are supposed to buy the "Sansa is the Key to the North" in an objective way. I know it's being bandied about like that, but as has already been pointed out, without the proper behaviour on the part of her husband it's not going to hold much weight with other Northerners. It'll just look good on paper in places like Kings Landing.

As for women inheriting - we knew of Lady Whent way back in season 1 when Catelyn asked after her to one of the banner men she greeted after Tyrian exposed who she was at that infamous Inn. All the other men she spoke to she linked to the person they served (Frey and some others that I can't remember). That indicates to me that Lady Whent had inherited some title or other by lack of a male heir. That's also come up for Bear Island's current ten year old "Lady". I don't think there' seen a retcon on that. It's been alluded to since the first season.

For all this chatter on the show about Sansa becoming the "Wardeness" of the North, I never once remember Cat being referred to as the "Wardeness" of the North, do any of you? That is a phrase I think we first heard recently from LF to Sansa, yes? It's like suddenly there are these ladies called Wardenesses, but...um...we forgot to tell you guys that in the first four friggin' seasons...oops, our bad!

*Grrrrrr* said with Ghost-like anger

• Love 1

I'd assumed that when the Boltons tell Sansa that she will one day be Wardenness, they are using "Wardenness" to mean, the consort of the Warden.  In this case (blech) Ramsay.  As I recall, the title is always mentioned in conjunction with her marriage.  Roose is now Warden, and as the wife as his heir, Sansa is the future Wardenness.  

I just remember seeing him at the brothel, pretty much incessantly.

Quoting Tootsie: "Does Jeff know?" 

• Love 2