Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: West Covina Coffee Shops

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

There's this reality show called It Takes  A Choir, where this English choirmaster goes around and brings communities together through the power of group singing. So there was a marathon on yesterday, and in one of the episodes, he goes to West Covina! And starts a senior citizens' choir, because apparently it is a large retirement community. So far, no Josh Chan. 

• Love 2
I'd like to put in a plug for Galavant on ABC, which is also a musical comedy; but it's closer to a parody of traditional (Disney) musicals:

I turned this on idly for background tv the other day, and had let it go on for 4 episodes before the evening was done.  It's extremely silly, but amusing enough to support, I think.  I do love the new fashion of putting musical theater shows on the air, and I hope it continues.  I would probably watch all of them.

Thanks for mentioning it, Trini.  I might not have found it otherwise.

• Love 1
On 2/12/2016 at 6:23 AM, ToxicUnicorn said:

I turned this on idly for background tv the other day, and had let it go on for 4 episodes before the evening was done.  It's extremely silly, but amusing enough to support, I think.  I do love the new fashion of putting musical theater shows on the air, and I hope it continues.  I would probably watch all of them.

Thanks for mentioning it, Trini.  I might not have found it otherwise.

ETA:

As long as we're talking about other musical pieces, today's King of Disparate Mountains has a highly enjoyable video of Carol Burnett and Julie Andrews singing a medley.  It shows, among other things, that the "mash up" existed long before Glee came onto the scene:

http://previously.tv/television/julie-andrews-and-carol-burnetts-endless-medley-vs-frank-underwood-looking-at-the-camera/

I'd never heard of West Covina, CA before CXG (and at first I thought it was made up for the show), but then this week I saw in two separate, unrelated places the city mentioned. Weird.

• Love 1

That's a running problem with watching shows from foreign countries. (I'm Canadian). I was amazed to learn that there really is a Cheesecake Factory (Big Bang Theory) for example.

And reading Charlaine Harris is a guide book to every strip mall fast food joint in the southern USA.

If anyone's interested in learning more about Greg and Rebecca's favorite fire, PBS is re-running the American Experience documentary about the Triangle Shirtwaist fire on Jan 30! 

• Love 3
(edited)

Desperately seeking the "Welcome to West Covina" poster that hangs in Becca's kitchen.  Anyone have any leads?  I have checked EBay, CW Merchandise Store, etc.

Edited by Boys2Mom
I haven't learned to spell yet.