Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: What Survivor COULD Be

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

If you are a fan of Survivorman, the History Channel has a new Thursday night show you may enjoy.  It is called Alone, and follows 10 survivalists who are each dropped off in the wilderness of northern Vancouver Island, completely alone with only cameras and 10 items of their choice.  Last guy standing (i.e. not using the emergency sat phone to be picked up) wins.

This looks like the real deal, and I'm already loving it.  There are dangerous predators, and the terrain is tough, wet and unforgiving.

• Love 1

I'll have to look into Alone. We loved Survivorman.

I love Survivorman, too, ProfCrash.  Les Stroud is the real deal (unlike some other famewhore - cough!) and is always informative and interesting without relying on silly setups and production antics.

Although I've only watched the first episode of Alone, the idea of surviving alone with just a few supplies and some cameras for an indefinite length of time appeals to me; as does the rugged Pacific Northwest in all it's beauty and danger.  It should be very interesting to see who lasts, and how they do it.

• Love 1

Agree with all of the above. I watched Alone last night (there is no forum yet) and that is real survival and the real deal. These wimps on "The Island" would be packing it in within 8 hours and crying for their mommies at the first bear poop or wolf howl. Suffice it to say, I knew that the cop was going home first because they focused on him too much and they kept repeating how scared he was and all that. His big saucer moon eyes said it all.  Truthfully, the real predators are scary and I cannot blame these guys for being somewhat terrified. What is interesting is that these guys have actual, real training in survival, so they all know how to make a fire and do everything. It was interesting to see even them struggle with the environ. I cheered when the first guy (can't remember his name, I think that he has the dreads?) actually got the fire going. He also seemed to do the best foraging as well. 

• Love 1

Agree with all of the above. I watched Alone last night (there is no forum yet) and that is real survival and the real deal. These wimps on "The Island" would be packing it in within 8 hours and crying for their mommies at the first bear poop or wolf howl. Suffice it to say, I knew that the cop was going home first because they focused on him too much and they kept repeating how scared he was and all that. His big saucer moon eyes said it all.  Truthfully, the real predators are scary and I cannot blame these guys for being somewhat terrified. What is interesting is that these guys have actual, real training in survival, so they all know how to make a fire and do everything. It was interesting to see even them struggle with the environ. I cheered when the first guy (can't remember his name, I think that he has the dreads?) actually got the fire going. He also seemed to do the best foraging as well. 

Cool, riverheightsnancy - I have someone to share this show with!  Now all we need is a forum, and starting one myself seems like such a daunting process (I'd tap out quicker than that cop did last night!).   :-)

I'd love to see the waivers those guys had to sign :

- may be attacked and/or eaten alive by grizzlies, cougars, black bears or sasquatch

- emergency extraction may not be immediate or even viable

- your body may never be found

Someone has requested a forum for "Alone" so once it's up and running I'll let you know.

Ooh, I am ever so glad, cooksdelight.  I was wracking my brain trying to come up with clever thread titles!