Type keyword(s) to search

Rip Hunter: Master Of Time But Not Its Lord

• Start Topic

Really, what they need to do is find a role for him that doesn't force him to be the straight man all the time.  That seems to be their biggest regret with him from S1, that he was stuck in "my family was murdered" mode.

• Love 2

I thought they did a good job with him in Fellowship.  He was still kind of the straight man to Nate's terrible British accent (with some truly wonderful reaction shots), but he also got to be fairly front and center in the action.  He got to have a good dynamic with Jax (jelly beans) and Tolkien.

He was still leading his part of the mission, but it felt like he was included more in the group than he's ever been before.  I'm hoping that means well for the future, especially in utilizing the more outlandish aspects to the character.

• Love 3

This season has given AD a real chance to show off his skills and versatility. I was encouraged by Rip being the one to give Aragorn's speech instead of say, Nate. That told me they wanted to make sure it landed, and AD  was the one they trusted to make that happened.

• Love 2

There's the thing about Rip. I kind of get where he's currently coming from, a little, though I don't really agree with it. He recruited the Legends to help him save his wife and son and at the end of the season he found out that the reason they were targeted by Savage in the first place was because he'd recruited the Legends to save them. Not really their fault, especially as he lied to them to get them aboard and manipulated them quite a bit through out S1, but it is still hard to somtach. Not long after that he erases himself, finding himself in the LOD and wakes up just in time to see everything go to hell again on the Legends watch, part of it were their fault, parts of it weren't but he isn't around to see that much if it. Then they break time for real! So he's gonna recruit the complete opposites of the Waverider crew and by gods he's going to drill them like the time masters drilled him to make sure this never happens again. I get that reaction. But that's where my sympathy kind of stops.

1) He was on the Waverider when they broke time, just didn't hang around to see how, so that is on him as well, he knew what havoc they'd caused in 1916 with everything.

2) He knows they didn't do it on purpose but it was either that or reality itself was fucked. 

3) With what he knows about the threats they face/d does he really think the TB can arrest people like the LOD. No that's why he still knows he needs the Legends so why the constant nastiness about them?

4) Dude you're probably creating the *forerunners* of the time masters not the after comers, so you're creating the path to the people who let Vandal Savage run riot and rule over the ashes of Earth the Thangarians, a no win future to say the least. 

5) You're best agent is easily beaten a game of chicken against Sara "What just death again? Bored" Lance, someone you helped groom for leadership, maybe want to think about who can get things done?

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 1

The biggest problem I think is that Rip has good intentions, but always winds up making wrong choices. In the moment they do not seem wrong and for some perhaps even seem logical, but they prove in the hindsight of time to be wrong. Many people in real life are similar to Rip, where they are so sure of their convictions or so hyper-analytical that they pursue the wrong direction for the right reasons. I think it makes Rip believable. I also think it is why Rip will eventually just get out of leadership.

• Love 1

See, I don't mind if this is where the show sees Rip - being too analytical is just as bad as being too impulsive if you're in leadership. But rather than take him out of any leadership role, I'd rather the show put him back with the Legends so he can work on that.

Honestly - and they probably won't go here because of Darvill's schedule, unfortunately - but I'd love it if the Time Bureau actually kicked him out like a CEO muscled out of his own company, either because they're taken over from within by someone evil or just don't believe he lives up to their ideals anymore. With nowhere to go, he ends up back with the Legends. From Sara and others he learns and works on the parts of his leadership skills that need improvement. Then the next time he takes on that role (probably when Darvill needs to be away again), he fares much better.

• Love 2

Rip's a good time traveler, he's not a good leader. So I do think he needs to step out of that role it's just not for him. Not everyone can lead.  I wish they could use Booster Gold, Rip getting to meet his father would be an interesting storyline for him. Especially the younger version of his father who would fit right in with the Legends. 

As for Ava, I guess she didn't read about Sara "doesn't stay dead" Lance, otherwise she'd know that you can't scare someone that's died a couple times with death.  Rip didn't tell his new team even he (their great Director) killed her and she's still around. 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Miss Dee said:

See, I don't mind if this is where the show sees Rip - being too analytical is just as bad as being too impulsive if you're in leadership. But rather than take him out of any leadership role, I'd rather the show put him back with the Legends so he can work on that.

Honestly - and they probably won't go here because of Darvill's schedule, unfortunately - but I'd love it if the Time Bureau actually kicked him out like a CEO muscled out of his own company, either because they're taken over from within by someone evil or just don't believe he lives up to their ideals anymore. With nowhere to go, he ends up back with the Legends. From Sara and others he learns and works on the parts of his leadership skills that need improvement. Then the next time he takes on that role (probably when Darvill needs to be away again), he fares much better.

I do think a lot is dependent upon AD's level of commitment to the show. I think they have kept him in a grey area, so they can go either way. I do agree with you that being too analytical can be just as bad as too impulsive in leadership.

I do not think that I would want to see Rip muscled out of his company by some evil organization, an idealistic go-getter or some generic board. I saw that plot line on Arrow twice, and I think it's a little overdone. It's a common trope, so I would not be surprised if it does show up. I just don't think it brings anything to LoT. I would like to see Rip actually just become self-aware and decide that leadership is just not his thing.

If AD decides to give more time to LoT, I would love to see him perhaps get into trouble after his resignation and need the Legends help. It doesn't have to be him doing something stupid that gets him in trouble. But similar to Rory, Rip is just chillin on a mountaintop somewhere and he is pulled back in to the time travel gig. That way he has to admit he needs the Legends. Like a prodigal family member, he returns and like a family they accept  him back.

I actually don't know if there is a good way for LoT to show Rip working on his leadership skills. I actually thought him being a director in s2, was a funny way of showing that Rip still has this need to be a leader and direct/control things. How would him working on his leadership translate into a workable plot or character trajectory? I mean I think it's a good story, I just don't think it translates well into a show like LoT that is more group & mission centered. Sara has been a good leader and seems to have organically grown into the role of leader, I would hate to see time spent away from the main story to have SL help Rip work on his leadership skills. You could have him self-reflect on his leadership skills, but that would take away from the action or the forward motion of the story of the week.