Type keyword(s) to search

Rip Hunter: Master Of Time But Not Its Lord

• Start Topic

I'm excited for Rip Hunter because of his connection to the other DC time traveler, Booster Gold. Comic book well-known/TV Spoiler:

Booster is Rip's dad.

Also, he's Rory.

• Love 7

I have to say how much I adore the title of this thread.  Someone was being very clever!  :D

That clip of Arthur Darvill was a revelation. Fantastic voice! 

I was kinda worried I wouldn't be able to see past Rory but  I didn't even see the character in him in that clip so I feel more confident about him nailing the role. 

• Love 2

I have to say how much I adore the title of this thread.  Someone was being very clever!  :D

That was me, so, thanks!

I've been amazed at how Grant has made me NOT see him as his character from Glee, so I am sure Arthur will do fine.

(edited)

I've been extremely bored by Rory in s5 (couldn't watch after that), but I really hope it was just Moffat's shitty writing and Darvill will excel in this role.

Edited by FurryFury

I just blame Moffat for ruining Doctor Who for me. I can't blame the actors. I haven't seen Arthur Darvill in anything else but I have seen some interviews with him and he seems like a good guy. I will give a chance. I wonder accent Rip's going to have. Do you think they'd make him do an American one? 

• Love 3

I just blame Moffat for ruining Doctor Who for me. I can't blame the actors. I haven't seen Arthur Darvill in anything else but I have seen some interviews with him and he seems like a good guy. I will give a chance. I wonder accent Rip's going to have. Do you think they'd make him do an American one? 

I hope not.

• Love 1

I hope they don't push the American accent.  I know American actors have butchered English accents but I have an equally tough time listening to English actors that attempt American (The guy on House is the worst offender IMO) plus I don't get the point of having ANOTHER American accent when I LOVE the English accents anyway. 

• Love 2

And I'm just sitting here not giving a damn about accents. I mean, I even live with the US TV's version of "Russian" accent which sounds nothing like actual Russian accent, so I'm good. As long as I can understand the actor without having to download subtitles (hello, Ravi from iZombie and most other British accents), at least.

Oh I just love an English accent so I'd much rather they let an English actor just do their natural accent - especially on a show like this where it seems unnecessary to change it. I don't really care if his American accent is bad - I'd just think it'd be cool to listen to his natural accent every week on the show.

• Love 2

I particularly aware since when David Tennant did Gracepoint he adopted an American Accent and when Amy Pond (I forget her real name) did Selfie (underrated show) she did an American Accent and it's painful to know how they are supposed to sound and instead have a muddled, half swallowed version come out instead.

Technically they were also doing an accent on Dr. Who (I guess Tennant is normally more Scottish) but I wouldn't complain about technicalities. :)

As long as I can understand the actor without having to download subtitles (hello, Ravi from iZombie and most other British accents), at least.

I find sometimes I have to stick the closed caption on for five / ten minutes while my brain remembers how to translate.  I was constantly using it for Ra's on Arrow.  Mumble mumble. 

Never fear. It appears based on the featurette that he's using an English accent. He even identifies himself as a future Londoner.

I stopped watching Doctor Who around the time Amy Pond left because I realized I didn't actually like the show and was just keeping up with it so that I could understand the references my nerd friends were throwing around. Even so, I didn't recognize him when he showed up in the trailer, so I'm not concerned about accepting him in the role.

• Love 3

Love AD and I was already on board before seeing the teaser but am relieved that there isn't any trace of Rory in RH.  Time travel AND the whole rag-tag bunch of misfits becomes a team - two of my favorite guilty pleasures wrapped up in one.  (CL looking better than ever doesn't hurt, either.)

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm a huge Rory fan and I'm so going to love AD on LOT :)

That clip was fun but as a public service, people should know that AD did not write the lyrics.  It's a bit called Surprise Kareoke that is done with lots of celebrities.  Just preemptively heading off anyone getting upset about what he sings about like not doing Sci-fi again.  :)

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Yeah I probably should have stated that since some people are very temperamental about stuff Like this...

That clip was fun but as a public service, people should know that AD did not write the lyrics. It's a bit called Surprise Kareoke that is done with lots of celebrities. Just preemptively heading off anyone getting upset about what he sings about like not doing Sci-fi again. :)

• Love 2

I had forgotten AD was in Once..., so thanks for the clips everyone!   I now want to have a LOT/DCTVU cover and vid of  "No Diggity". ( Same set as "Grace", but it came up after that clip. Carlos even got a solo!)

I am so excited about my favorite male Who companion being on my TV once more! That he gets to have his accent/ a version of it is great, too.

2016 seems so very far away, but I can wait, just like my Centurian.

So um the actor has a interesting credit on IMDB right now.

Since anyone can edit IMDB, I'm not going to get my hopes up too much.  I do want Tuesday to get here already, though. 

• Love 1

The playground mods have discussed it and we've decided that it's best to err on the side of caution when it comes to new characters like Rip Hunter.  Any speculation on what attributes/storylines the show will take from the comics should stay in the Legends: Comics Vs Show thread. Speculation about the character in general, minus information about his comic counterpart, may stay here.

If anyone has questions, feel free to PM myself or MarkHB.

Thanks and enjoy!

(edited)

DC All Access - Who is Rip Hunter?

Beware, this talks about his history in the comics, if you are avoiding comic spoilers.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

BBC America is doing a Dr. Who marathon and we're up to A Good Man Goes to War.  Arthur Darvill proves why he is perfectly cast for Rip Hunter.  He is awesome and fearsome. 

And that's without facial hair!  ;D

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

Just from the clips and promos I've already been impressed by how different a character AD is as Rip.  I don't even see Rory in his acting.  Which is good because honestly half the time Rory annoyed me. 

• Love 1

It's funny, I adore Rip too but I only liked Rory some of the time.  A few times I loved him but more often he bugged me - a lot.  But for some reason I don't see Rory.  I don't hear Rory.  I do hear a gorgeous English accent so yeah, I'm easy like that. 

• Love 1

There were times during Rory's run on Who that I kind of wanted the Doctor to kick Amy out of the TARDIS and keep Rory. That was as much some of what KG was doing which bugged me as it was what AD was doing I enjoyed. But before Rip Hunter was cast the main thing I was interested in with LoT was Sara and Cold, now it's the three of them.

• Love 2

There were times during Rory's run on Who that I kind of wanted the Doctor to kick Amy out of the TARDIS and keep Rory. That was as much some of what KG was doing which bugged me as it was what AD was doing I enjoyed. But before Rip Hunter was cast the main thing I was interested in with LoT was Sara and Cold, now it's the three of them.

OMG, yes! I didn't even like Amy until Rory joined. I was only interested in LoT after they announced Sara, and then even more so when they added AD, and finally I started really getting into Cold.

Some people didn't like Time Master Rip, but I've heard nothing but good from people regarding awesomely wimpy Phil and even more awesomely badass Evol!Rip. I think these two roles were really strategically placed to give him a chance to win over those that lost patience with the character in Season 1. I suspect he's not going anywhere unless he wants to, and assuming he doesn't want to when he does rejoin the Wave Rider he's going to be a little more chill and a lot more remorseful regarding recent events. That'll help smooth things over with most hating fans. Except the ones that just want to be haters...always a few of those.

• Love 3

I don't hate Rip, I just wasn't his biggest fan. I love Arthur Darvill though, so I'm glad that he gets to play different characters. He was very convincingly threatening as evil Rip. He made a good villain because he knew the team. He disabled all the tech based heroes, shot Sara to weaken their best combat fighter and he got rid of Mick their best brawler. He just got lucky that Nate and Amaya forgot that they were supposed to be helping their team instead of thinking about sex. But again they showed how terrible a Captain he was when he underestimated Jax while Sara trusted Jax to run the ship because she couldn't. Then we have Sara protecting Jax from becoming a cold blooded murderer and still wants to save Rip. Yes, they lost the spear again which they seem to passing around since the Legion lost the spear during the George Lucas episode), they didn't lose any team members (because Sara and death are buddies). 

That's why I think Sara should remain Captain and they can drop Nate off and Rip can be the "historian". 

• Love 2

I don't understand how Jax proves Rip is a bad captain.  If anything, he's a testament to Rip's ability, because Rip was the one who chose Jax as the ship's mechanic in season one, and we saw that he was pushing Jax very hard to learn the ship's systems in Out of Time, because he thought that he might not be able to stick around.

That's what made the Jax vs. Rip confrontation so exciting.  We had Jax up against the man who'd trained and chosen him.

• Love 4

Rip underestimated Jax's abilities. From what we saw Rip put people into specific roles and didn't think they could do much more outside those roles. He recruited Sara to be a killer then realized later after Leonard figured it out first, she could be more than that. Then he put Jax as the mechanic and that was it. Sara saw the potential in Jax to be a leader. Sara sees the potential in people because she cares about them, that includes Rip too. Rip on the other hand didn't care to really get to his know his team. So there are plenty of reasons as to why Rip was a terrible leader. Just because he knows about a time travel doesn't make him a good Captain. Time Masters were trained to work alone, not with others. Which is probably why he sucked at being a leader. 

Then there is also the question if the team would want him to be leader when he comes back. I know Sara will forgive him for killing her because she understands having no soul. Mick will probably not care as well. I'm not sure the rest of the team will be as forgiving. Jax will never forget seeing Rip coldly murdering his Captain. He didn't really have their trust and respect before, it'll be even harder to get it now. 

• Love 1

Okay, I'm going to have to ask you for actual episode names here, because I can't think of a single episode where Rip either underestimated Jax's abilities or "put people into specific roles."  The closest to that was in the Pilot where he tells Snart, Rory, and Sara that their skills aren't necessary for the first mission.  However, by the third episode, Blood Ties, he and Sara are breaking into a bank together, and he's the one telling her she's not a monster for her bloodlust and can do better.  (The scene you're referencing with Snart was Failsafe, two episodes later, when both Sara and Rip believe that Martin's capture will literally lead to Star City's destruction by a Firestorm army.  Which Gideon shows us will happen.  Snart, wisely, talks Sara out of it.  And Rip thanks her for not taking the shot, at the end of the episode.)

As for Jax, Rip has never underestimated Jax.  Jax is the one who doubted his ability to be the ship's mechanic, and Rip encouraged him and repeatedly relied on him.  And in Out of Time, we see that Rip has been putting more and more responsibility on Jax's shoulders.  Jax asks why, which is when Rip starts drilling him on all of the ship's systems, and reveals that he thinks he might not be around much longer.

So Rip was specifically training Jax for a role beyond standard ship's mechanic.  

I can understand thinking Sara is a better leader than Rip (I'd agree, I think he's the better Time Master and she's the better leader).  But this isn't a good example.

Edited by squidprincess
  • Love 2

Rip actually said he underestimated Jax in the last episode. What more proof do I need. That shows me that Rip only saw Jax as the mechanic. Jax doubted his abilities to be a space ship mechanic. Which makes perfect sense being he's never been on a space ship. Rip just put him in that job, that was his role on the team. 

However you and I will just argue in circles because you saw something else in Rip that I didn't. The fact that Rip wasn't well liked was because he was a terrible Captain. That's where his hate comes from. People like AD and from these last few episodes they like him more when he's not Captain Rip. 

• Love 1

"Underestimating" someone in one specific context (namely being able to defend the ship against someone with thirteen years more experience, while being outgunned and depowered) hardly means that Rip "only saw Jax as a mechanic."  And as I pointed out, his dialogue with Jax in Out of Time makes it very clear that he is trying to train Jax to take on a more substantial role when he's gone.

It's also worth noting that in this same episode, Rip sees a fallen henchman and a trap and immediately starts thinking about who on the ship would be still be able to fight him and he settles on Jax.  He knows that Jax is competent and able.

I think it's interesting that you have a psychic link in to what every single person who dislikes Rip is thinking.  But I will say that it's difficult to compare Rip and Sara as captains, because their missions were very different.  What I can say is that within the universe, it's pretty clear that the team did not consider Rip to be a terrible Captain.  If they did, they would not have accepted Rip's invitation to accompany him on his new mission to replace the Time Masters.  Nor would they have traveled with him for six months between seasons.  Furthermore, Martin's dialogue in JSA, Sara's in Raiders of the Lost Art, and Jax's in Turncoat all seem to indicate that they respected him as a leader.

I'm not arguing with you about whether or not Sara or Rip makes a better captain.  I'm arguing with you because you make blanket statements that have been expressly contradicted by specific episodes.  And I can actually name those episodes.

• Love 2

Teaching Jax all systems of the ship is part of the ship mechanic job. What other role would that prepare him for? Knowing the ship doesn't make a leader, just like being a time master doesn't make a leader. 

It's not blanket statement if that is how I interpreted Rip's scenes. As a Rip fan you saw them diffently then me. As I probably see Sara's scenes differently then you do. 

What other reason is Rip not liked then? That was the main reason I saw. If you know of other reasons I'll change that statement.

• Love 1

Rip says, specifically: "I spend most of my time thinking about the future, specifically my own, and... it occurs to me that that future might not involve me being aboard this ship, and I need someone to know its secrets in my absence."  (Courtesy of this transcript site)

That indicates that Rip isn't just teaching Jax to be the mechanic.  Jax has been the mechanic for almost a year at this point and never needed these specific secrets.  Rip is specifically teaching Jax the secrets that only he knows.  He hasn't taught them to Martin or Ray, who are geniuses.  He hasn't taught them to Sara.  He specifically chooses Jax.

And honestly, the fact that Jax is the ship's mechanic at all shows a huge amount of trust and respect.  Because Jax was a mechanic back home, for cars and the like.  Not for a space time ship beyond any recognizable technology.  Rip could have chosen any one on the team to do this job.  Martin and Ray are geniuses, and Ray specifically is a mechanical genius.  And given that he's lost his family, home, and life's work, the Waverider was all Rip had at that point in time.  And he specifically entrusts it to JAX.  That's a huge deal, no matter how you parse it.

So the blanket statement (or general conclusion, if you prefer that terminology) that Rip never appreciated Jax is factually incorrect based on the actual episodes.

As for reasons why fans dislike Rip?  It's not my job to go hunting for quotes to disprove you.  I just think it's very funny that you've decided that you know what every Rip-hater thinks.  :-)

Honestly, the Rip vs. Sara as leader question is probably moot at this time.  At least according to leaked images, Rip is back with the team by Moonshot, but I have serious doubts that he'd be recovered enough from the events of the current episodes to reclaim the Captain's chair any time soon.

Edited by squidprincess
  • Love 1

Thats not how I interpreted that scene with Rip and Jax. I just saw Rip teaching the person he chose to be the mechanic how to fix and know the ship. You see more into Rip's scenes then I do.

And what other role does knowing about the ship prepare Jax for? Other than being the team mechanic? 

Either way I'm tired of arguing about Rip with you. Rip frustrated me last season so I didn't care to pay that close attention to his scenes. I'm not going to go back and watch those episodes to get specific moments for you. You saw the scenes one way, I saw them another way so it wouldn't really matter anyway. You'll always see those scenes differently being a fan of the character. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

(Knowing about the ship prepares him for being Captain, actually.  Or at least first officer.  :-))

I don't mind dropping the argument.  It's pretty clear that you're not able to provide any actual episodes or examples, beyond one very out of context statement, to support your conclusions.

It does amaze me that you can look at the fact that Rip Hunter chose Jefferson Jackson to be the ship's mechanic to begin with, when he had the entire crew - including verifiable geniuses to choose from, and when this ship represents the only thing that Rip has left after losing everything and is so vitally important to his quest, and not see that as an incredible level of trust and respect in Jax's ability.

But we'll have to agree to disagree.

Edited by squidprincess
  • Love 2

I think eventually Rip realised that Sara was a good heir/spare as a captain and Jax was a good mechanic and brighter than he (Jax) knew and therefore the best bet of all of them to try to learn how to repair the ship if necessary. Don't forget that in Raiders, Ray said that Gideon did a most of the work anyway (which will now come back to bite them in the arse). Ray could probably do more but they are clearly more interested in either linking him with a lady or trying to find a bromance that works (Jax already has a very sweet and improving one). I think in many ways Sara was Rips Captain apprentice (which is why they voted for her) but that certainly doesn't mean she can fix the ship or give medical advice. Star Trek anyone? I think this show does the best job in the Flarrowverse of balancing a brilliant team of characters and actors for some obvious reasons, even more so that many of them were already names in their own right when cast.

• Love 4
(edited)

Here's an article with Arthur Darvill and Samantha Banks about the production of "Honeymoon in Vegas" they're going to be in on the London Stage this Sunday. It makes mention of the two musicals AD has written: Been So Long and Fantastic Mr Fox. A film version of Been So Long will start shooting next week.

https://www.thestage.co.uk/opinion/2017/arthur-darvill-samantha-barks-honeymoon-london/?utm_content=buffer628ef&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

ETA: is it okay to put this here? We don't seem to have a Cast in Other Roles thread?

Edited by Lokiberry
  • Love 1

From the Moonshot thread:

1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

What are you seeing them set up? I guess I'm not seeing it at all, and that's why I'm uneasy.

(We can take this to Rip's thread if needed)

Definitely a good idea to move it here, I think.

In terms of story, Rip's got a lot of potential going forward.  He's a loner prone to keep secrets who now gets to learn how to be a team player.  He's a character who's been very badly burned by authority figures in the past, who has to learn how to trust having someone else call the shots.   And ultimately I think we're either poised for a "Rip finds himself" storyline, where we'll see Rip use the more unique aspects of his character (experience/skills/et cetera) to find a place in the group, or a "Rip gets his groove back" storyline which will give us Rip actually learning how to be a better leader and retaking at least part of his old position in the end.   And however this ends up playing out will give a lot of potential storyline beats for season 3.

I think they've been doing a really interesting thing with Rip's character this year.  There's been this nice, subtle, possibly accidental theme of exploring who Rip is as a person.  We've gotten "Phil Gasmer" (a version of Rip without any of the knowledge, skills and experience that he has as a Time Master or Legend), we've gotten Rip as rewritten by the Legion, (a version of Rip without the morality, with the extra bonus of showing us exactly how dangerous that set of knowledge, skills and experience can be as an enemy), and now we're getting a version of Rip who has been removed of his role.  Hopefully, leading to us seeing what Rip brings to the table aside from questionable leadership.

And when you add that in to his other potential story beats: finishing the spear this season, the whatever-it-is with Gideon (which wasn't overtly mentioned this episode, but I thought it was notable that he used the term "human shield"), and general recovery themes.  I really do think it seems likely they'll keep him around.

I've been wrong before and I'll be very sad if I'm wrong again, but IMO, it seems far more likely that they intend to keep him.

Edited by squidprincess
  • Love 7

I think they are going to keep him and I look forward to his journey. I did enjoy Evil Rip & quirky Phil, but I do like having the original Rip back.

Also I love AD new hair cut, it really works on him - ding dong!

• Love 1