Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Welcome Mat

• Start Topic

Went out to buy gas and a vegetable peeler (my old one died). I also bought myself a Christmas present:

20221216_181353894.thumb.jpg.d545f03e88bf8719463c50536444a3dc.jpg

I won't leave it under the tree because I just might try to incinerate a chicken this weekend...

Now I need a cooling rack that is suitably sized for this sheet. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

In bed at 9:30. Mo is lying by the front door which I have to lock soon. Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours by Stevie Wonder on the gramaphone. Car ready to roll out with all on board but myself and a thermos of faux-pineapple juice. Clothes all laid out.

Mo just came in and jumped on the bed. I hope I don't have any trouble with him tonight. Last night he roused me unexpectedly and when I jumped out of bed my left thigh went into spasm. The resulting cramp had me staggering around the house in the dark, shouting and groaning in pain for neatly 10 minutes. Dilemma: go and pee or stagger out to find a salt shaker? (Dr. Kristi told me to sprinkle salt on my tongue to stop cramps.) I chose the salt. I'd rather mop up pee than tolerate the cramp for one second longer than necessary. The shaker should have been by my bed, and when I go to lock up I will bring it back.

Never too certain if the salt actually helps. It certainly doesn't stop the cramp instantly. But usually, within a minute or so, the cramp fades away. Because of the salt? Or because it was about to fade anyway? Dunno. But the salt can't hurt, and maybe....

Another cool breeze in the window. And Mo is on the bedside table looking out. His skin is flaking (like dandruff but bigger flakes) but when I try to brush his coat he only wants to steal the brush and eat it! Bath #2 of 8 on Sunday...

Will go lock the door (and retrieve the salt). Early to bed, ungodly hour to rise! Might be different in the summer months but I have been driving up to the market in the dark!

Fingers crossed I make a sale or two!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours by Stevie Wonder on the gramaphone. Car ready to roll out with all on board but myself and a thermos of faux-pineapple juice. Clothes all laid out.

Fingers crossed I make a sale or two!

I love Stevie Wonder! Sir Duke is my favorite song of his.

Fingers crossed for you!

• Like 1

20221217_061035782.thumb.jpg.1a810e39b2eb03e9a9863368cb36e40c.jpg

Made a few sales and did better than last time. I should be able to afford a new bowl gouge now, with enough left over to bribe a Customs officer!

They will be open next Saturday and I have arranged to go then, but I will have to make some stuff before then. Or I will have very little to pounoj offer.

Went in early last night but it was around 10:30 before I got off to sleep. Mo kindly woke me at 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30 an was coming for me at 4:30 but the alarm beat him to it.

I opened the car to put my thermos in, and he jumped in and would not come out. After removing him bodily, I wanted him inside the house while I got the car out through the gate. He would not go in the house. Once the car was beyond the gate I went to let him out of the house so he could run around the garden and have access to his water. He would not come out of the house.....

Tired, hungry.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Well, I used the baking sheet. The house didn't burn down!

I had a small chicken, which I defrosted in the fridge. I removed the bag of gibs and washed the bird inside and out in a bowl of water mixed with salt and lime, and left it soaking for a couple of hours. 

I don't have any parchment paper so I rubbed the baking sheet with a little red butter. The oven was set to about 225°C and left to heat up.

Meanwhile, I used my new veggie peeler to peel some potatoes and carrots and stripe a couple cucumbers. Then the carrots & cucumbers were cut into short lengths. I piled the chunky gegetables on each end of my sheet and drizzled them with oil and sprinkled them with salt, garlic powder and dried rosemary.

The chicken was also rubbed with red butter and sprinkled with salt, garlic powder and rosemary. Then I put it on the sheet between the veggies and stuck it in the oven. After 15 minutes I turned the heat down to 180-ish and set a timer for another 45 minutes, and walked away.

I had to keep going and looking at the dish, and after 25 minutes or so, I used a pair of tongs to turn the vegetables. Otherwise, I left it all alone.

When the time was up, I decided to give it another 10 minutes, then I removed the chicken to sit and "rest" for 10 minutes more while the veggies stayed in the heat. 

I plated up half the chicken and half the veggies. The balance will be for dinner. 

Everything was cooked and I enjoyed the meal.

But the chicken was not as brown and the skin not as crispy as I would have liked. I think I should have started with a higher temperature and left it there for a bit longer. Or left the chicken in the oven for a longer total time. Or both. I also have to consider adding some sort of coating to promote the crispy and add extra flavour. I dry-rub chicken parts before frying, so...

The veggies were a little dry on the outside but cooked nicely inside. They were cooked for 10 minutes longer than the chicken, because I left them in the oven while the bird "rested". Not sure how to prevent the veggies from drying on the outside without them being undercooked on the inside. But I only drizzled them with oil; next time I will put the oil in a bowl with spices so they are coated all over when they go into the heat.

But! Oven used, chicken cooked, meal enjoyed, more waiting for dinner, and fun to plan on future improvements. I have another chicken, two half chickens, and a very small pork loin in the freezer, so opportunity for experimentation.

Also, I didn't stuff my chicken. Couldn't think of what to stuff it with. (Mo got the gibs for his lunch.) Only after the chicken was in the oven did I realize I had crackers, which might have been the basis for a stuffing if I added some spices and other ingredients.

The other thing I can tell you is that when I pulled that baking sheet out of the oven, I couldn't help thinking "There should be more stuff in here, baking with the same heat. Several chickens, a mackie pie, two loaves of bread and a chocolate cake!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Mo sleeps on the ground beside me. He is wagging his tail. I hope I am there with him, in his dream.

PS: Here he is sleeping on my foot.

20221217_162901804.thumb.jpg.64b84a005f8932e61a4db0859b443930.jpg

PS: A customer just sent me this photo, saying "One of your bowls in use!" 

IMG-20221217-WA0001.thumb.jpg.21c0d18256cdb51db6875e942bc59fdd.jpg

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Completely crashed out last night. 

Got up and finished a small cup, and started on a larger bowl. There was a large piece of live edge but I thought it would look good anyway, even if it limits how much hollowing I can do.

20221218_111511517.thumb.jpg.2073de52744bc9da8c59b41c38fda084.jpg

Base is on the right, hollow is (or will be) on the left. Unfortunately I had to chase some cracks. So I chased them and chased them and...

20221218_111523117.thumb.jpg.abc41685d9e64a91be0d3bc11b9d878d.jpg

The deep groove will now become the new top and everything between it and the faceplate (to the lower left) will be cut away and discarded.

Also went to cut a bowl blank from a piece and it had some obvious cracks which would make it undesirable for turning. But was able to cut some slabs thar, should I get them planed, might make interesting bookmatched tops for small boxes. I'll take some photos and post them in a while.

Meanwhile Mo has just had medicated bath #2 of 8. He didn't fight. When he realized what was happening and lay down, insisting he be dragged because he wasn't walking to that particular fate. So I picked him up and carried him. He put two frontboawx front paws in my lap, hugged me very close (to make sure I too had a bath) and shivered and shook the entire time. But he didn't struggle or fight at all. He had to keep the suds on for 10-15 minutes so to pass the time I told him The Story Of Dotcom. And when that was concluded I told him The Story Of Budweiser as well. 

After which I rinsed him off and he ran inside to dry off in the bed! Which didn't work too well, seeing as the bed is just a wooden platform, these days.

I boiled the remains of the chicken last night until all I had was a cup of concentrated stock, with lots and lots of little pieces of chicken in it. I very carefully picked the meat from the bones and made sure all the bones were disposed of. I will use that stock plus water from the tap to cook a small pot of rice for my lunch. I will also include diced carrots and peas. Unfortunately, not pigeon peas or field peas or black eyed peas or any other type of peas. Instead some of those round, green, commonplace peas that look like green buckshot. I hate! But I have and I will consume. And I suspect in one of my rices with some pak choy leaves and the diced carrot and some onion perhaps? The rice might come out at least edible. So I will go and start that cooking now, and while it cooks I will go take photos of my bookmatched wood pieces.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

These two bookmatched slabs would make a nice lid for a small box for trinkets. You would have to true up the edges but I think the potential is visible.

20221218_120431370.thumb.jpg.734abc37634171a96d667c9b6c49e93e.jpg

The pieces could be bookmatched the other way as well:

20221218_120304385.thumb.jpg.8c37c8daa1e71dd4761f47a769156532.jpg

Question is, would these survive a visit with Mr. Noisy? They would have to be planed smooth on both sides and to consistent thickness. 

Another, larger pair of slabs could be bookmatched two ways.

20221218_120339983.thumb.jpg.f6e6bcd9a9dca8fec41514d96c41684a.jpg

Or20221218_120327713.thumb.jpg.caa9b0c2a0b1875e358c56837cb5c00e.jpg

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

I forgot to say that on Saturday, someone looked at the horribly crufty "conversation starter" piece and asked me how much it was. I said it wasn't really for sale and she said "Too bad!" and walked away. The girl whose tent I share promptly slapped me about the head and told me not to be an idiot.  So later, when someone else asked how much it was, I sold it for $35 bucks!

I came home with eight pieces unsold. Two pine (which I don't actually expect to sell), two purpleheart, two kabukali, and two tamarind. I asked if I could come again next Saturday (24th; there will be Caroling!). I was told yes. This meant I had to make as many pieces as possible this week, if I didn't want to show up with no merchandise in particular to place on offer.

This morning I finished a small bowl/cup. 

20221218_130325893.thumb.jpg.1718b3193ef7b49a3f7c713d4b5ae6ae.jpg

This made nine pieces and the one on the lathe will make ten.

Let me digress to tell you about family. I don't have much around here. What I have I love, and do all I can not to burden them with my problems. Heidi is my closest and I would do anything for her. Sometimes I wonder how the family feels about me. One of Heidi's daughters got married a while back, in Colorado. and not only was I not invited, I didn't even know she was engaged until nine in the morning of the day, because the family deliberately concealed the fact from me. Another daughter had a baby 3½ years ago (and another since then) and I have never seen either child to this day because I am not invited to any place where they are going to be. Like Christmas breakfast or anything. I have also been told they will no longer send me photographs of the children because I might share them online. (What possible use would photos of new family members be, if you can't boast to your friends about them?) There is a third daughter who is (as far as I know) unmarried and without children. I sent her a WhatsApp four weeks ago and not only has she not replied, she has not even read the message yet!

Heidi herself went abroad a month ago, and I was hoping she would bring a tape ruler for me, if I ordered it and had it delivered to her address. I kept asking "When are you coming back?" And was repeatedly told that no return ticket had been booked yet. I quickly got the message: "My itinerary is none of your business." So I stopped inquiring.

Today, Heidi asked for the prices on the two kabukali and three tamarind pieces that she wanted to give as presents. I asked if any of the pieces were going to remain in the family and she said "All. When I asked they all wanted a bowl by you." So I told her that in that case, she could have them for free. She refused the offer, and said she would come tomorrow and inspect the pieces. 

I don't know what to make of that.

But if she were to buy the five pieces it would reduce my "stock" from nine down to four. Making enough pieces to justify another trip to Brighton has become unlikely. It isn't that I am unwilling to work day and night, but there isn't enough light in the garage for night work, and I have to consider machine noise and neighbors after dark, too.

Speaking of stock, I made some chicken stock last night with the remains of the bird I baked, and the stock included a lot of small pieces of chicken that I picked from the bones. I used it to make rice today with carrots and noxious green peas plus chopped pak choy stalks and rolled, chopped green bits. I expected the rice to be poor due to the presence of the little, green buckshot but it actually turned out quite edible, with no distasteful flavour of peas. One thing I did was put an egg in the rice, unbroken in its shell. When the rice was cooked I fished out the now boiled egg and after shelling it, chopped it to garnish the dish. 

Mentioned the possibility of ressurecting some carbide tools I had, for use until I can get a proper bowl gouge of traditional design. Learned on Saturday where I can buy 15mm cutter inserts at $180 for 10. Have to hope they also sell them individually. Will check tomorrow. Will also order the bowl gouge, after checking the situation at the bank.

Found the four irons, and they were as rusty as expected but cleaned them up with a bronze brush on the lathe. Not perfect but clean enough to use.

20221218_213906339.thumb.jpg.813c8b3c6484966c2c67564f01ac0fec.jpg

Even found the mounting screws for the inserts!

20221218_214347715.thumb.jpg.90ea676d8608f0c32b48eede3ee711b3.jpg

Not sure why three are oval head and one is flat-head (second left). But I think they are standard #8 screws, ½" long. Possibly #10 They are too big for M4 and while M5 is close, the thread is coarser. Anyway, I should be able to locate a set of four identical screws to use if the dissimilarity triggers my CDO.

As you can see, the irons are about a foot long, about a third of which will be inserted into the handles. I will want to make those handles to give an overall length of between 22" and 24". And I need to use a tough species of wood if the tools are to be safely useable. I'd like to use hickory or ash but these are not available here. I may have to use mahogany. And I have to figure out how to beautify them. If you make your own lathe chisel handles you are required to beautify them. It's the law!

Funnily enough, one of the people who stopped to chat on Saturday was a woman who said she had been doing some turning of her own in Britain a year or so ago. And that she had mostly been turning ash. She admired the tamarind but didn't buy anything because she and her husband we're "leaving the next day and there was no room in the bags." More likely she was the only person in the place who was able to see how untalented a woodturner I was, and secretly wouldn't be seen dead with any of my pieces. If I'd offered her a tamarind bowl blank I suspect she would have found room for it in her bags....

Anyway, Heidi says she will come to see what I have tomorrow, which means one day this week, so remain available at all times until she deigns to put in an appearance. So I will go russle up a bowl-biting, freshly washed, sweet smelling little Monster and lock the house. I got a lot of bowls to make and only 4 days to make them. Not to mention going to the bank, delivering a present or two, and trying to get carbide inserts in single quantities. Plus shopping for groceries. 

20221219_003748931.thumb.jpg.902fd768420bb5771c432a12bd7c96c1.jpg

Say what ever you like about him, but never doubt his daemonic nature!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

Little crook is at it again..

20221219_063107983.thumb.jpg.a0276771cd4ebecb7f25771913f8fd83.jpg

He steal them while I sleep. 

20221219_063239434.thumb.jpg.fbcb7066c4622fda63045ece756f002c.jpg

When I get up I can only find one. Or maybe none!

20221219_063246319.thumb.jpg.d30ba4b6be9faf74487bbd87a44a710f.jpg

You can't catch him. Sometimes he will tease you by bringing it to within 3-4 feet, and  dares you to take it back.

20221219_063353566.thumb.jpg.21ff69d31fe8a4a0986052f62914b58a.jpg

The only thing that works is guile. Or bribery.

• Mind Blown 1

I've spoken about transparent wood and no doubt some folkes make winding gesturges near their ears. Here is an example of transparent wood:

20221219_084221360.thumb.jpg.75b193f2e8e31ebfd8d79f43a3178456.jpg

The pencil eraser and metal ferule can be seen right through the side of the bowl. Also the opposite rim of the bowl, from the inside.

And here is the piece, alllmost finished.

20221219_142331053.thumb.jpg.02986ce0381d2ea274a43499fc90e7cf.jpg

It needs very little sanding (one grit only and only on the base) and then the application of some beeswax inside and out as a friction finish. Remember the difference between art and a bowl?

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

I may have hollowed this too much. 

20221219_174903013.thumb.jpg.fab4809b147e695d4e9a168068df09ef.jpg

Like the dwarves who delved too greedily and too deep in the mines of Moria. 

Shame to waste a nice piece of wood. Can anyone think of a use for a wooden tube? Too big to make it into bangles...

Couldn't find the chuck key. Searched around the lathe, on my desk, over by the bandsaw. Nothing. Searched through the healed heaped shavings on the floor beneath the lathe. Nothing. Then I came to my senses, walked out onto the lawn and picked it up. 

20221219_185447430.thumb.jpg.ebb8c24aff0aa9fcf83d57c08a623c2c.jpg

A few bowl blanks waiting to be ruined...

Edited by Netfoot
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3

Ok, I went out this morning to give Dr. Kristi her Christmas present, then down to Exotic Woods to see if they had the 15mm carbide inserts I wanted. Yes, but 1) only square ones, and 2) $180 for ten; they don't sell them individually. 

They did get one out of their own workshop to confirm they fit my chisel,

20221220_141335601.thumb.jpg.5095c638c225babac204b9d3a93d635b.jpg

and once that was confirmed they told me to keep it! Damned decent of old Glenn.

I bought myself a gut-buster of a  Christmas lunch with lots of jug-jug, and to keep The Hot Breath from my hip, I bought a portion of barbecued pig-tail for Mo. 

I put a pig-tail in Mo's bowl and started my meal.  I was at least halfway through before I felt THB! So he shared my chicken tenders as well. And what he doesn't know is, is that a portion of pig-tail is two pig-tails...

Turned this bowl and it came out OK except for a number of cracks, and there was one spot on the rim that kept threatening to fall out/fly off. 

20221220_141521451.thumb.jpg.94d4bf60b49fb96747e11d6396f44d7d.jpg

I stabilized the cracks and I think it will hold together, but I won't know for sure until after the sanding and finishing is complete. I will work on the cracks some more tomorrow and finish off the sanding. If the piece flew off after all the work was done I could probably sell it still, but if it flies off before, I won't be able to get it finished.

Meanwhile, I also started truing up another piece. It has a large, "live" section on the base that extends almost all the way to the rim, as seen here:

20221220_160744200.thumb.jpg.a2ade52144818c56788a05823eaa799b.jpg

and another smaller one on the rim:

20221220_160754660.thumb.jpg.f3db0d3085c82578504bdcd002e7761e.jpg

but that isn't the problem. The problem is it's very punky indeed with crevices running all over it. Tomorrow I will try to stabilize it and pray it holds together long enough to be finished.

20221220_160801612.thumb.jpg.23f3ba69b9969105304b19b05a94e046.jpg

20221220_160808291.thumb.jpg.7d81b58562861598f2ff79ef04011930.jpg

20221220_160814898.thumb.jpg.8076e469e4770756bcfc0f9f0a61e90c.jpg

Edited by Netfoot

The house is zipped up and we are cuddling in bed, with some White Lion playing (When The Children Cry) and a cool but not chill breeze in the window.

I was outside around nine, making sure all tools were picked up and put away, when I heard several loud detonations and some crackling. Walking around the house and looking into the sky above the mall next door, I saw fireworks. Mo didn't like them and ran off, but he didn't get far before he came back to see more. And for the next 10-15 minutes we were entertained by a very pretty fireworks display, with Mo initially alternating between alarm and curiosity, but quickly accepting the event as harmless.

We couldn't see where or who was launching them because the mall buildings obscured that. But luckily, the actual display took place high enough up that we could clearly see the complete display in the sky up above any buildings or trees. 

I don't know why they had a fireworks display today. We usually have them going off all along the south coast at midnight on the 31st (Old Years Night). We don't get a great view from here, because we are on top of the escarpment. I ask Heidi once or twice where would be the best place to watch the fireworks from and she said "My house" which happens to be right on the edge of the escarpment with a fab view of the south coast. But she didn't say "Come watch with the rest of the family" and I stopped asking. 

But that's OK. Dotty and I always managed Christmas and Old Years perfectly well on our own, as did Buddy and I. And Mo and I will likewise be fine. But I'm glad to know Mo got to watch a fine display this evening! And that he quickly came to take it in his stride.

I have three bowls in partial states of completion. Two are punky, one more than the other. But I also have this one that is pretty solid:

20221220_210743605.thumb.jpg.40d8f2e7d7ad9afa236c229d3053fe0e.jpg

The outer shaping is pretty much done and a start had been made on the hollowing around the faceplate, which is not de rigueur. But I like to keep the piece under as much control as possible for as long as possible when hollowing.

What needs to happen now us that the chuck be fitted to the foot, and the live center brought up to center on the faceplate opening. Then the chuck can be drawn tight, and the live center replaced by a Jacob's chuck so a small center hole can be drilled into the center of the bowl. With the Jacob's chuck removed and the live center back in place, the face plate can be removed. Then the live center can be centered on the little hole we just drilled, and tightened. 

At this point we can do much more in the way of hollowing while still supporting the piece with the live center. Eventually, we must remove the live center and entire tail stock to finish the hollowing, but a lot of the job can be completed first.

However, another piece, one of the punky ones, is already in the chuck, so I will have to deal with that one first.

Oh, I ordered a new bowl gouge from Amazon who say it will be delivered (in Florida) tomorrow.  It will be interesting to see how quickly it makes progress along the pipeline and how much it costs by time it finally reaches me.

Still no sign of Heidi coming to collect the pieces she wanted. I hate when she does that. It essentially traps you at home for days while she takes her sweet time getting around to you. And if you have to leave home on business of your own, you feel like you have to apologize for it!

Well, after a Christmas mega-meal, I also drank a coke and ate some chocolates. Blood sugar will be in the stratosphere. So I guess I will test in the morning to get a number, and take corrective measures as indicated. 

I don't know what will happen at Brighton on Saturday, but I think I will take a few weeks off after that and try to build a sled for segmented turning. There is very little tamarind remaining, and I think an interesting and hopefully marketable alternative might be segmented turnings. They can be quite attractive, and have a few advantages over normal turnings.

First, they are very economical with regard to the amount of wood they use. Therefore, if you obtain exotic wood, you can make it go further.

Secondly, segmented bowl blanks are all side-grain, both inside and out. This makes for easier turning and better finish because chisels cut side-grain more easily and cleanly than end-grain. Side-grain sands better too.

Third, they can be assembled piece by piece. A 16" tall vessel with a 3" neck opening can be constructed out of 32 rings, ½“ thick each, stacked one upon the next. The first 8 rings could be glued up, then hollowed before the next 8 rings are added and hollowed, and so on until the vessel is complete, with no hollowing deeper than 4" ever needing to be done. 

Mo is fast asleep, to the extent that I can rub his back with my foot and he doesn't even move. 

20221221_002449032.thumb.jpg.c010d093e34a69d6d15e5e8b471cd696.jpg

I think I have a very smart puppy and I will go join him in a minute!

• Like 3

Now working on this:

20221221_140603624.thumb.jpg.0cd2420e55b0a904d2640a610a3ee44b.jpg

Sort of cute, until you notice the gigantic hole in one side, with more pieces of wood falling out all the time, and the bowl not even finished being  hollowed yet!

If this survives the hollowing process, more than half the bowl may be removed before I'm done with the picks.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

Nearly done. The base needs to be sanded and a finish applied. 

20221221_191253707.thumb.jpg.aa985ffe803a36d21cd6d8ab8106c6a2.jpg

I have it in the chuck to get it's botty sanded first think thing tomorrow. 

20221221_200559518.thumb.jpg.5a757643346ab38a790b8f2ef87c2c3a.jpg

You can see how "artistic" it is. But the gaping, jagged hole makes this very difficult to sand, with the chance of a broken bowl about the same as the chance of a broken finger.

In other news, my bowl gouge, ordered yesterday, reached the shippers today, and the current status of the package is "In Transit to Destination Country".

That does not mean it has actually been shipped. It just means the package has been processed for shipping and added to the shipping container with other packages waiting to be sent. Or at best, sent to the cargo airline that has been contracted to fly them out. When that actually occurrs will depend upon the season, the backlog, the state of the shipment supervisors digestion...

Oh, yes. Blood Sugar this morning was 5.2 which, considering that 5.0 is considered ideal, is way better than I thought it was going to be. 

Mozie sleeps at my feet and I feel like we should lock up and go to bed because I feel sleepy too. But it's only 8:20...

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 2

Complete!

20221222_105641503.thumb.jpg.b89f18ab7900bd6012eb1e20d7885b22.jpg

I think it's beautiful but I would, since I made it. I know that it is extremely fragile and it will not sell. If you drop this on the floor you will pick it up with a broom and dustpan. But the same is true of Wedgewood china, right?

20221222_105647165.thumb.jpg.8400146d576ea52e2612d693a895fa46.jpg

Seeing as it won't sell, I am taking it to Brighton only as a conversation starter. And I am putting a price tag on it for more money than I've ever priced a piece before! That will raise eyebrows, and will start lots of conversations, but I will clearly say to anyone that I do not expect to sell it. Unless someone begs me. Or breaks it. I will warn them about that too. 

I dunno where Mo is. Will hunt him up later and see if he is in a photogenic mood or not.

• Love 2

Well, that was interesting!

I had a large piece, very punky, with cracks running every which way. I had roughly shaped the outside on a faceplate, and hollowed a little around the faceplate.

I sanded and waxed the foot, and was about to buff that wax into the foot. I turned the lathe on, and was turning the speed up when I heard a loud bang!

Something hit me hard in the face and the lathe began to jump up and down and run across the floor. I grabbed the lathe with one hand to stop it smacking into the bench grinder, and flicked the switch with the other hand.

20221222_122401984.thumb.jpg.a449922f11a5fc86d323e3c2cf64fc3e.jpg

The piece split almost exactly down the middle and the slightly smaller half disintegrated, pieces went all over the garage and I had to search for them far and wide. The larger piece stayed on the faceplate, and continued to spin at 2,000! This severe imbalance, spinning at a rapid speed, had that lathe dancing! 

The bang? That was the largest of these pieces hitting me directly in the face. Thank goodness for my polycarbonate face shield!

I am going to keep the bits. This is the second piece that has come apart on me so far. I am considering the Japanese art of Kintsugi. Only I will probably use epoxy instead of lacquer and replace the 24 ct. gold with some sort of tint. Or at the most, brass, copper or aluminum powder. Sometime.

• Mind Blown 2

Things go missing around here. Most of the time, they show up again. In what condition, is always the question. Today a nice, big piece of beeswax disappeared. This time, I doubt I will find it again.

Apart from the inconvenience of losing the beeswax, I now have to wonder what exactly the beeswax will do... internally. It's food-safe, but not food, after all.

Little klepto...

• Like 1

Since I only had one week between my last visit to Brighton and my next, I have been working furiously to produce some items to sell. I had reached 13 items (plus tea-lights), some larger, some smaller, some prettier than others... when (finally) Heidi arrived.

I showed her the five pieces she had asked for but she said "What about those others?" She left with seven of the biggest and prettiest pieces, leaving the ones she had originally selected. Now, I'm down to six pieces, only one day to make anything else, and no wood to make them with. 

I have one chunk of tamarind that I could cut into two. I might get two pieces out of them, maybe only one, maybe none! It is a very punky piece of wood and who knows what I will find when I get around to cutting it in half? I also have a couple blocks of purpleheart and some more kabukali. But both of those are very hard and one day may not be enough to complete a piece.

The new bowl gouge is still "In transit to destination country" but hopefully it will actually make it to the destination country before the end of the week. Even so, I expect it will be a while before anyone gets around to processing the inbound packages and releases it for collection. Probably not until early in '23. Since the price is under U$30, it should avoid customs. If it doesn't for any@ reason, we are probably looking at early March.

Puppy stole a plate I was working on.

20221222_201909867.thumb.jpg.e9dcb007cf07a8f2c6f50d836f33dd72.jpg

I was not happy with it and was throwing it out anyway, but...

We are listening to The Hush by Sharleen Spiteri & Texas. That song always makes me think of lethargic, sweaty, post coital, late afternoons with everything turned red by a vibrant sunset. Don't know why- the lyric is nothing of the sort.

I usually cook enough for two, sometimes more, meals. I had a friend tell me he could never eat the same thing twice running. He got sorta vexed when I pointed out that he ate cheese cutters for lunch 4-5 times a week...

Anyway, lunch and dinner today was very tasty. I boiled some cubed potatoes and sliced carrots in the same pot meanwhile I added chunky cucumber, onion rings and pak choy to corned beef and beans in a pan. Dressed with garlic powder, red pepper flakes and dried basil. Plus a little sachet of Maggi "All Purpose" seasoning. When the dpuds spuds and carrots were cooked  I added them into the mixture and gave it 5 minutes for flavours to meld. It really did taste good. I'm going to try another one of those Maggie sachets in an up coming meal. 

Mo is making himself comfortable. 

20221222_235333646.thumb.jpg.2d54470caa30e0b9c9c184e0b98f8293.jpg

He is bogarting my pillow!

I will now kill the light, roll over and give him snuffles.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 2

In bed, but the fan is not on. The breeze in the window is cool enough on my skin, damp from a good, hot shower. 

Listening to Kid by The Pretenders. Always loved Chrissie Hynde. Mo is at my feet. The door is still open, but as I finish this I will close up and look to get to sleep early. Tomorrow is a 4:30 wake-up. I do believe this should be illegal, but nobody listens to me.

Got only seven whole items to display tomorrow. (Plus tea-lights.) Two attempts blew up in my face, and eventually I just decided to go with what I've got.

I went out to get some untreated pine but both the lumber yards near me could not provide any. So I gave up on that plan. I was hoping to make a few simple pine vessels but what I was really looking for was material for a wooden seashell. 

While at one of the lumber yards looking for pine, one of the lads asked about Buddy. I had to tell an abbreviated tale of his passing. I still have not gotten over that yet. Then I introduced Molasses. The chap was chatting with Mo when he spotted the folding tables in the back. A little chat and a visit to the housewares store in the front confirmed that the one I gave them to sell has sold, 2-3 weeks ago. But they never called to tell me, or to ask me to bring them another. I guess it didn't sell fast enough for them. Still, they will have some commission for me. 

This morning, I changed the bandage on my dodgy finger, as I do every morning. I removed the old tape and when I went to put a new piece of tape over the nail, I realized there was no nail! It was stuck to the old piece of tape I'd just removed. I didn't even realize it had come off! So my goal was achieved: painless, blood-free, no-drama elimination of the old nail. Now, let's just hope a new one grows back. I wouldn't like to be without a nail on that (or any) finger. Good thing. When I saw Dr. Kristi earlier in the week I mentioned the nail was coming off and she made it plain: she does not pull out nails. She will do blood, puke, pus, etc, but if a nail has to be pulled out, Dr. Gabby gets called in! I like Dr. Gabby, but since I didn't want the nail pulled...

Lunch was Eclipse crackers with PB. Mo was like a mediaeval taste tester. I was not allowed it eat a single biscuit until Mo has sampled it and ensured it was safe. But for dinner I decided to go a different route. 

SPAM stands for Synthetic Product Almost Meat or something like that but what I had was artificial SPAM. So, a replication of a synthetic. But I don't care. I sliced some up and fried the slices along with three eggs. A small tin of baked beans warmed up, finished out the repast. Apart from salt on the eggs, the only seasoning was a sprinkle of garlic powder on the beans. (These were genuine Heinz baked beans. Not the Matouk's red beans I usually eat.)

Meal went well. Only two things would have improved it:

1) Toast. But I don't buy bread much these days, and since I hurled the toaster at a few mice, it has refused to work. I don't know why I keep it. A dead toaster is of no use. At least the dead microwave makes a fine cupboard for storing potatoes!

2) Tea. I could have brewed up a mug, but I don't have any Stevia and didn't feel like using sugar. I bought Stevia from PriceSmart for something like $25 for 500 packets. Last time I was at PriceSmart I forgot to look for Stevia and the nearby supermarket wanted $22 for 80 packets!

Going to lock up. Got to get some shut-eye!

ETA: Posted hours after it was written...

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 2

So, 'fore-day morning, I'm scooting up the highway with seven minor  wood turnings to offer, and suddenly, as I exit the roundabout, blammo! Some dickead slams into the van. 

Both vehicles stop, and the other driver hops out of his car with a mouthful of colourful vocabulary. Why did I "pull" on him?

I pointed out that I was in the correct lane when I entered the roundabout, stayed in that lane while in the roundabout and was also in the same correct lane when I exited the roundabout. Whereas he was in the wrong lane thruought, and upon exiting the roundabout, crossed broken white line without stopping, to move from his lane to mine, therefor causing the accident.

Then I asked him if he had the cash to pay for the repairs to my van, or whether he would have to sell his shitty little rice-box in order to pay up? And finally, pointing at the rear view mirror, I asked him which variety of dash-cam he preferred, and that j I have had giifcsuccess good success with Rove cameras. At which point, with one more brief demonstration of his Anglo-Saxon prowess, he hopped in his clown-car and vanished into the night. 

And I was the fool who never took a photo of his car including license plate!

Fortunately the damage to the van is minor. A little scuffed paint and one very small dent you could hide with a large postage stamp. So, on to the Market.

I sold one tiny bowl for twenty bucks which, seeing as the entry fee was $15, means only a fiver in profit. 

Most of my family passed by, and only a few had anything to say. But I wasn't expecting to see them in the first place, so no big deal. 

Late morning, I made two additional sales which was a great improvement. Even so the takings were the worst so far. However, if I include takings from the items sold to Heidi a couple days earlier, this was my mose most profitable day to date. So no complaints from me.

There was one annoying thing. Remember the bowl with the big hole that I took as a conversation starter? The one I didn't expect to sell but put a heavy price tag on? I could have sold it three times over! Unfortunately, first thing this morning I dropped it on the grass and it developed a tiny crack. So I had to decline all offers and point out why. They all said it would be easy to fix and I agree, but I had no suitable glue to hand so, no sale. Hopefully next time, but:

Sophie & Jacob, the couple whose tent I have shared, are going to the US soon. Her baby is due in a month and she wants to go home to have it (she is an American citizen). So, they won't be going to Brighton for a few weeks, and I need to decide what else I can make and build up stocks. I spoke to the organizers and was old I only had to send a WhatsApp when I was ready. But it will be a while.

I've also been asked to build a child-sized Adirondack chair. They already have one, but they have two children so they want a matching second one. We will see if the original chair will be forthcoming for measurements to be taken, any time soon. If I go ahead with it, I may build three while I'm at it, and see if I can sell the other two. 

Not looking forward to giving  Mo his bath tomorrow. It was uncomfortably chilly outside when we did our Garden Patrol and there is a chill breeze in the window now. Mo is helping by being very snuggly but I'm hoping for a hot sunnybday sunny day tomorrow and not rainy or even overcast weather. 

I made another pan of boiled carrots & spuds, with corned beef, onion, beans & cucumber and seasoned with garlic powder, red pepper flakes and a packet of Maggi seasoning. Again, the meal tasted great and I must look into getting a few more of those pa ketscof packets of seasoning.

But tomorrow... Well, I've got a chicken defrosting in the fridge and I will try another roast with potatoes, cucumber and carrots. It will be our Christmas bird. Unfortunately it has no weight on it an I don't have a suitable scale. But I will just keep an eye on it and pull it out when it looks right and cross my fingers I manage not to incinerate it. 

Listening to Kodachrome by Paul Simon. Now, Simon & Carbuncle are not my favourite musicians by any means, either together or separately. But I am always willing to listen to the exception that proves the rule. Another example would be Johnny Cash, who is far from a favourite, but whose cover of Hurt is always worth a listen.

Anyway, I i was up at the butt-crack of dawn, and despite a solid nap this afternoon (with a cuddling companion) I am tired, so as the music transitions to Jarvis Cocker of Pulp singing This Is Hardcore, I will kill the lights, wrap up in something to celebrate mbat combat the chill, and try to catch a few.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

Merry Christmas to those of you who observe Christmas.

617333929-funny-christmas-cartoon.jpg.3499294c4ebd8214a7bc6cba03242e44.jpg

Good morning to the rest of you.

It was Brass Monkey weather again last night, worse than ever before. (Global warming my arse!)  I'm going outside to make a snowman, because it must have snowed.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

The chicken was tough, but tasted fine. The skin was not very crispy.

1411071513_WhatsAppImage2022-12-25at1_40_07PM.thumb.jpeg.adb92b6c7077422099611b47c4efd715.jpeg

The veggies were crispy/crunchy on the outside and creamy in the middle.

1710318894_WhatsAppImage2022-12-25at1_42_39PM.thumb.jpeg.bc3f6ffa7009a08fc087bd346acf71a5.jpeg

I was able to use the captured dripping from the chicken to make a tasty gravy, some of which went over the veggies and some went over Mo's chow, which he promptly ate at warp-speed. I assume he approved of the gravy as much as I did. (He did get some chicken and will get more later.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I reheated the chicken and veggies in the oven for dinner. And following some YT advice I tweaked the skin of the bird. Second time around the skin was a little crispier and nicely browned. I'd even go so far as to suggest that it was marginally tastier. 

Unfortunately, there is no getting over one unavoidable fact: that chicken was raised by Dunlop. Or Bridgestone. Or BF Goodrich. It was as tough as old boot, and thats all there was to it.

I have the carcass and boiled it in some water to make stock. Will boil it a bit more tomorrow and pick out any tiny flakes of chicken clinging to the bones.  Hopefully I can make a tasty rice, like I did last time.

Normally, I sleep with the window open and the fan on. I like fresh air while I sleep, and the whispery noise of the fan plus the constant, slight airflow helps me sleep. When travelling abroad I miss these things and often sleep poorly. If I have to close my window due to rain, I am usually unsettled until imcan I can reopen it. But last night was so damned cold I gave up around three and closed the window just to try and warm up the bedroom a bit. It didn't work. Wrapped in a sheet like a butterfly in a cocoon, from the bridge of my nose to my feet, with a warm puppy leaning against one side, I was still shivering even after the window was closed. 

Tonight seems to be shaping up.to be more of the same.

Any way, Mo and I had a very restful Christmas day, and with the exception of Mo's bath, doing absolutely nothing all day other than prepare food and eat it.

Now that I have a small baking pan and a small cookie sheet, I have to look into what I can make in the oven that falls into the Cakes & Cookies category. Got plenty flour, some brown sugar (straws) an egg or two... Should be able to concoct some sort of sweet delight! Also maybe something like Toad in the Hole or even a turbo charged macaroni pie or some thing like that.

I should talk to Jacob, who makes bagels for sale at Brighton Market. When I am bitching about getting up at 4:30, he is up at 2:00 boiling the dough before baking the bagels fresh for sale that morning!

Last couple days I've been taking it relatively easy, yet still tired, despite a short nap this afternoon.

Going to lock up the house, then listen to some Dave Matthews while playing a game on the phone. When the phone starts to fall out of my hand because I am falling asleep, I will blow out the candles, wrap up in my cocoon and time travel to tomorrow.

20221225_221148243.thumb.jpg.cacfbbb4e375ef3afe08e583a0501631.jpg

Why is there a 2" faceplate lying on the grass?

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 1

Last night was a little too cold for comfort, but not as bad as I expected and certainly nowhere near as bad as the night before! Tonight looks like it will be cool but not too bad.

Today was another do-nothing day. I did cook lunch with the chicken stock and meat fragments from boiling the chicken carcass, and I added onion, carrot and even diced potato. I seasoned with garlic powder and was going to add diced cucumber but chose a different strategy.

I know that adding cucumber to rice is almost like adding extra water. If you are not careful, you will have to choose between soggy rice because it is cooked before all the liquid is gone or overcooked rice because you continued to cook out the remaining water after the rice was ready to eat. So instead, I tossed the cucumber cubes in a bowl with a little white vinegar and a little lime juice, then added some salt and red pepper flakes and tossed some more. (I used the half of the lid with the smaller holes this time, so the flakes were smaller than usual. I had to shake for longer to get enough pepper in the dish but that was OK.)

When the rice was cooked I dished it out and using a spoon I made a hollow in the top and filled it with the diced cucumber that had been waiting in the fridge. The meal was a treat and I soon caught myself pursuing the very last grain of rice in the bowl with a spoon. 

Dinner was much simpler; crackers and cheese, with an assistant to ensure it was all eaten.

Listening to The Beatles. Norwegian Wood, Paperback Writer etc, but the later stuff like Strawberry Fields Forever, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, A Day In The Life, While My Guitar Gently Weeps is coming up in the playlist. (I believe the final E-Major at the end of A Day In The Life is the longest sustained note in the history of music, something like 128 bars, and lasting 45 odd seconds.)

Will read another chapter of my book. Not sure where Mo is. Have not seen him since our Garden Patrol. He will show up soon. And if not, I know how to make him appear like magic: go into the kitchen and open the fridge.

Hoping the guys decide to go up to the club or cliff tomorrow. Both Mo and I could use some fresh air and human contact.

Bowl gouge is still "In Transit..." Which is no surprise. It may be sitting in a mailbag in Florida waiting to be loaded onto a plane, or it may be sitting in a mailbag here, waiting to be unpacked and processed. For certain, nothing was being done over the holidays. Probably nothing will be done until the new year! And I've essentially run out of wood to turn anyway. 

Did some research and it turns out you can buy spalted tamarind bowl blanks online. A 6"x6"x3" bowl blank costs about. $100 (our money) plus shipping and duties. So I do think the people who bought my bowls got a very good deal, seeing as the most I've asked for a piece was $60!

Any way, time to give the book a go.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 1

After a colder than even expected night, I'm up and brewing a cuppa. Mo helped with some power-snuggling, but demanded the door was opened at five, and then kept demanding I get up. Which I refused to do, because after experiencing it when I opened the door, I didn't want to face the air outside of the covers any sooner than I had to.

It seems the world is experiencing colder-than-usual temperatures. At least the Americas & Europe. Let's hope that situation ends without delay!

BS this morning was 4.4 so I'm happy about that. 

Kettle just clicked, so I leave you with a photo of the daemon-dog from last night:

20221225_221353397.thumb.jpg.4476d5665e0a19ae55596407da9ad1a3.jpg

Yes, he has stolen that block of wood...

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

The doors are locked and we're both in bed listening to Let's Do It Again by The Staple Singers. I think I'll Take You There is next in the playlist.

A few weeks ago, Mo didn't want to go on Garden Patrol but these days, if I'm late, he comes and complains loudly until I grab my torchlight. He was dozing at my feet when a heavy shower came down. He immediately leapt up and headed for the door! What could be better than getting soaked from head to foot before jumping into bed to cuddle with dad? This from the same puppy who makes acfusd about a simple shower on Sunday mornings. Anyway, I called him back and locked up the door immediately, then headed to bed.

Should go shopping tomorrow. Low on milk and cheese, completely out of pak choy, have not seen a decent plantain in weeks. Could also use a little CA (super glue). Trouble is, around here I pay roughly $16 for one tenth of an ounce of indeterminate quality CA "gel". When buying for modeling from one of the good suppliers, I usually pay $40-ish for four ounces of premium quality, "thin" CA. (I hardly ever buy "medium" or "thick".)

I may try to make a bowl out of a very punky block of tamarind. If I succeed I just might go to Brighton on Saturday... as a customer rather than a vendor. That way I will be able to buy one of Jacob's bagels and give the couple the bowl as a present.

Or maybe that's a silly idea.

Did Sweet Fanny Adams today. Cooked up some spuds and corned beef with cabbage, onion and beans. Tastes good! Poor Mo didn't get much of a sample. Sounds like the act of a cruel daddy, but Mo has been ignoring his own food and demanding more of mine.

(Cheeky monkey! Just went out into the living room, stole a Croc,

20221227_234938246.thumb.jpg.10a6744e69d78c155312869da04b8789.jpg

and brought it into bed!)

Anyway, I have to make him understand that a taste of dad's meal is a treat, not to be demanded or expected all the time, and not a substitute for his own meal!

Now, my book is almost at an end. It's taken me for ever to get this far. Dunno why. Just seems I'm always too tired to read it, or much of it, anyhow. So I hope I will be able to finish tonight.

Uh-oh! He has stolen the shoe again and left the bedroom with it. The house is locked up so it can't get far, but one of these days his chewing will render me barefooted!

• Like 1

Another uncomfortably cold night. Had to open the door at 4:30 so puppy could go out. Mo then kept clawing and scratching at me until I finally got up around seven.

He would look out the window for a few minutes. Then, presumably reacting to something he saw, he would race outside. A few minutes later and he would be back, clawing and scratching at my arm or what ever he could get at, until I persuaded him to leave me be. Then back looking out the window...

Thing is, I have no idea why he wants me to get up. The door is open, he doesn't want food or water. When he finally gets me up, he doesn't want anything from me. He just goes away and leaves me in peace. I've never tried going back to bed at that point, because up is up. There wouldn't be much point, I think.

Gotta go out in a minute. Would rather not stir, but I used the last of the milk this morning so I think I must. And while I'm at it, I could use a few other bits and bobs. Just got to check the bank account to see if there is any ca$h in the bank...

• Like 2

"Received at Destination Country!"

I'm shocked! I was sure the lazy blighters would find excuses to faff about and do nothing until next week. But to my surprise...

Now theoretically, they could call me tomorrow to say "Come 'n' Get It!" Or if not tomorrow, maybe Friday. But once again, I highly doubt it. 

Went shopping; bought some stuff, including some very rude cucumbers! I also bought six of those Maggi spice packets. The label said $1.69 so I grabbed six. But they come two at a time, and when I got to the cashier I discovered that the price was $1.69 per pair! Not only that but I got a 40¢ discount on each pair! So while I expected to pay $1.69 per packet, I actually ebded up paying only 43¢ each! Still pricy, but much better than originally expected 

Cut open a crufty block of tamarind I had sitting here and got three smaller blocks out of it. 

20221228_150225045.thumb.jpg.d1ae0ffffa96361544f40821b0ef7291.jpg

I've already put two of them on faceplates. They don't look too bad. They sit on circles between 5“ and 5½" in diameter. When I start to shape them, the bottom of the blank will decide how they end up shaped. At least one will be shallow due to the curve of the blank. I could go start turning them now, but honestly, I feel lazy right now and will save that pleasure until tomorrow.

Have decided to re-watch "Reacher".

• Like 2

Roughed out the two bowls on the lathe, stopped before the shaping was done, because the light was failing.

20221228_173805842.thumb.jpg.6279577f9839c466f9ae0e3d15563865.jpg

The piece on the left is slightly punky. There is a chip just visible out of the foot. That's where there is a vein of soft wood. I was able to pick out a piece or two with my fingernail. When done hollowing (assuming it doesn't fall to pieces on its own before then), I will use a pick and remove any bits that look like they might fall out on their own. 

The piece on the right is nice and solid. However, there is a piece of live edge visible on its left side. Hollowing will very possibly leave a hole right there, unless I leave the sides really thick. I will have to balance the options and see what I end up with. 

The third piece is still in original, raw form. I only have two faceplates and I'm not removing either of them until I've finished the foot on it's bowl and I'm ready to switch to the chuck. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Our Garden Patrol was conducted in damp conditions; wet grass and a sprinkle coming down. Not to mention a chill in the air. I can't say for sure, because sometimes it looks/feels like it will be a cold night and it isn't. Also, vice versa. But based on what we are experiencing now, it could get bitter in the wee hours. 

We're in and buttoned down, and serenaded by ABC's debut album The Lexicon Of Love with tracks like The Look Of Love and Poison Arrow.

Oh, and now the rain is down, heavy, and blowing in the window. And instead of cuddling, Mo is curled up at the foot of the bed. No, he's come up and done his characteristic sideways fall up against my tummy... no he's moving... now he's behind me and chasing a house fly... back in front now... and he's left the room. You just never know with that little guy!

Looked at the third bowl blank. It has very little punk and may prove to be nicely solid, but it too has a large piece of live edge to one side. So likely to be sharply tapered like the bell of a trumpet, or curved with a hole in one side. It's true shapecwont be revealed until I start to spin it on the spindle.

Finished my book last night. I read it slowly due to tired nights. But I enjoyed it a lot, and the ending was unexpected but satisfying. I have a new book to read now. It's an Andy McNab I got from the Book Tent for four bucks. Won't start it tonight, tho.

Heavy rain now, window firmly shut to stop the spray from landing on me in bed. Mo still off doing his own thing.

Not much else to relate. Will try to catch some sleep, now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Mo refused to eat his dinner last night, and demanded my pasta instead. Of course, I ate my own dinner, and left Mo with his own dinner to eat. (He did get to clean up my bowl as usual.)

This morning, I made three cheese treats, one if which contained his morning Histal. He refused them. I then fetched a Vienna sausage, cut it into three pieces, and dosed one with the Histal. He refused the sausage as well. So, I opened a tin of corned beef and gave him ¼ of the tin. He ate it. And the pieces of cheese and the bits of Vienna sausage. 

Later, I went into the bedroom and give him a cuddle. I went into the kitchen, cut a thick slice of cucumber, and separated it into three pieces. I went back to the bedroom and started nibbling on one piece. Mo then ate the other two, and stole the remains of my piece. 

Not certain what to think. The idea that he would refuse cheese and sausage is strange for a puppy that loves his grub.

Going to keep a beady eye on him!

Just had cold, wet squall blow through. I was just finishing this piece:

20221229_115747507.thumb.jpg.7244fa2a743e63a981666b9fc08537c4.jpg

It was all sanded and I had to put the rim in the Cole jaws so I could add finish (beeswax) to the foot. I had the face shield on, but it was not pulled all the way down, which is stupid. The piece detached from the Cole jaws, sneeked under the rim of the polycarbonate and smacked me right on my jaw. You can't tighten the jaws to the max without risking the rim be crushed. You have to balance the tightness of the chuck (and thus the reliability of the grip) against the fragility of what I'm working on. When you hear me say that the piece came off the jaws, it's mostly because I got that balance wrong.

Puppy is at my feet all curled up and sleeping. I wish I had a wide seat like a loveseat that he and I could share. But I use a swivel chair on casters, so no room for a puppy.

Just back from the puppy-doctor. Saw a vet we have not seen before (Alexis). Puppy went from sedate to manic the moment he got to the place. They all looked at me like I was crazy when I told them I brought him to them because he was too lethargic. 

Dr. Alexis examined Mo who vigorously tried to give her love and cuddles in return. In order to examine him properly she sedated him. Made him dopey, but didn't put him to sleep. Could not find any obstructions, but identified a sensiyive sensative part of his tummy. X-ray showed no obstructions but indicated inflamed intestinal wall at one spot. Second, experienced vet brought in to examine him and look at the X-ray. 

He now has 2x antibiotics a day plus 2x tabs to help with internal inflammation. On top of the two Histal.

Paid the bill; now have $11 in the bank.

He just ate a Vienna sausage with a capsule in it quite happily. It used to be easy to get a capsule into a sausage - just use a drinking straw. Nowadays, it is a crime against humanity to own or use a drinking straw, so getting it in the was not easy!

That was to be taked 30 minutes before a meal, so I am cooking him some rice with a little meat in it. The next tablet is to be administered with food, so he will get it when the rice is ready.

You'd think if making medication for pets (or kids) you would recognize the difficultuly in getting them swallowed, and make them small. But, oh no! These are as humongously big as you could imagine!

He just went out to bark at someone going past the gate. So the sedative is wearing off, and he seems to be a bit more active than earlier, too!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

"Your package MIA38286970 is ready at counter: HAND TOOL from AMAZON.COM"

Amazing.

Mo ate his corned beef and rice with gusto, and two tablets hiding in cheese as well. Appetite definitely imoroving. Seems a bit brighter, as well.

The other half of the rice will be his for breakfast, cold. Or I might drisle some boiling water over the grains to warm them a bit.

ETA: He's now curled up under my chair, with his head on my foot, using it as a pillow.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 2

We're in bed a little early, after an extended Garden Patrol. Extended, because he's been farting like a hippo who works as a taste tester in a baked bean & breadfruit factory. I was hoping he would do something about it. But he didn't so I'm in for a fun night...

It was damp out, but not particularly cold. Still, I no longer try to guess what the wee hours will be like from pre-bedtime temperatures. It might stay relatively warm (let's just say cool) or it mightbjustvas easily turn arctic.

Listening to Bloodflowers by The Cure. Mo was right here with me, but has just wandered out. The door is still open so he can go out if he wants to. Here's hoping he wants to.

A while after giving him his rice, I has crackers and cheese for dinner, and I didn't even brew a cup of tea. Encouragingly, Mo demanded his share of the crackers and cheese and I was happy to give it to him. I remain hungry and regret not eating more, but Mo's share wouldn't have made me any less hungry. I'll just have to rectify early tomorrow. 

Also got to go pick up my new bowl gouge! Question is: have they lost it? Or just broken it?

Boy, I'm sleepy again. I will wait for puppy to rejoin me, then I will lock up and try for sweet dreams.

Puppy is back, so I'm going to lock up... No, wait. He has me pinned. Doggie judo! Ever since I injured the fingernail, he has been determined to examine it and play with it. (He's gone again; I hear him out by the gate, barking at some unfortunate.) Now that the nail had gone, I could let him get at the finger, since there is no nail for him to rip off. But I'm afraid he might bite the sensitive area where the nail was. while there is no pain from that finger, I suspect  a variety of terribly painful chomps if I don't take care to avoid it.

Right, going to lock up now...

Edited by Netfoot
  • LOL 1

Another uncomfortably chilly night. Mosie "spooned" most of the night keeping my front warm. Unfortunately, he has devised a method of gradually bogarting the cover sheet. He doesn't like being under it - he likes to lie on it. Anyway, this means I wake up several times with a warm tummy and my butt poking out from under, into the Arctic blast!

His appetite had returned by last night and this morning when I gave him a cheesy treat he practically swallowed it whole. That one was 30 minutes before a meal, which was the balance of the rice from last night, which he vacuumed up quick time! And two sausagey treats with the meal.

He is 100% back to normal, as far as behaviour us concerned. Which is good. But he now (for the next week) gets breakfast and dinner instead of lunch and dinner. One of the meds is to be taken 12 hours apart, so...

But the real reason I am posting is because I thought you might like to see the difference between my old bowl gouge and my new bowl gouge. 

See if you can tell which is which:

20221230_094639687.thumb.jpg.1a6e32f2d021e07c02a7329f4cbb9aa6.jpg

It's an easy pick, right? The old one has a grubby handle!

Here is a photo of the patient, trying to eat dad's fingers!

20221230_102041495.thumb.jpg.e4b2cf35a61ddd785416d704aa9b7fed.jpg

Which reminds me: that beard has to go!

• Like 1
  • Love 1