Type keyword(s) to search

Poldark Anticipation: Back To The Past

• Start Topic

I am so looking forward to this show.  The original Poldark was one of the first shows I remember seeing on Masterpiece Theatre (or whatever PBS series that it played on back in the late 1970s).  I loved it so much I bought the books, and later recorded the replay on VHS tape.  A few years ago I was in the mood to go back to Cornwall, and discovered that those twenty-something-year-old tapes were barely viewable, so I bought the DVDs.  The production values are fairly cheesy compared to shows produced in this century, but . . . oh, my, the stories!  The characters!  Ross Poldark!  (A brief pause to wipe the drool from the corner of my mouth!)

This remake has great potential.  Aiden Turner has that same sort of intelligent smolder as Robin Ellis.  I don't know the actresses that play Demelza and Elizabeth, but they look appropriate to the time period (and if they are classically trained British actors, they should be okay at the very least).  And Jud Painter, the lazy, good-for-nothing servant, is being played by Philip Davis, who most of you will remember as the cabbie in the first Sherlock episode, A Study In Pink.

I've read a few reviews of the first episode in the British press.  The biggest complaint is the inauthenticity of the Cornish accents.  If it means that I can understand without using closed captioning, I have no problem!

• Love 2

When is this actually going to be on in the US?

I remember catching a couple of episodes of the original, I believe in reruns. Despite poor reception and the low production values I was intrigued and wound up reading and loving the books. So I am pumped for this.

I have no idea who Aidan Turner is. But I will say that I loved how the original Ross was not a pretty boy but a grown-ass sexy man, so I'm hoping for the same. And looking forward to what I hope will be beautiful scenery and higher production values.

• Love 1

It's due to be shown on Masterpiece on PBS in June of this year, though the first episode has already been shown in the UK.

Aiden Turner has been in the British version of the series Being Human (haven't seen it), but is probably best known as the dwarf Kili in The Hobbit movies.  He's 31 years old, only four years younger than Robin Ellis when he portrayed Ross Poldark.

• Love 1

This is the episode discussion thread, but no one posting in here has actually seen the first episode yet, so...am I safe to talk about it or not? Is this being used as a US-paced thread or is it okay to discuss episodes at UK pace? Because it's already on here, that was why I asked for this sub-forum!

I've enjoyed Aidan Turner's work since he appeared in Being Human - also loved his portrayal of Dante Gabriel Rossetti in Desperate Romantics.

• Love 2
I've seen part of the first episode of Poldark 2015.  I was taken aback at how close it was to the earlier adaptation, which I viewed many times in the previous century, being an elderly senior citizen.   I don't know why I didn't expect that.  It always takes me a couple of starts to get into something with hour long episodes.  I want to set aside enough time to enjoy it and maybe get more than one episode to watch together.  

Writer Debbie Horsfield says that she deliberately did not allow herself to watch the 1970s production before starting work on this new adaptation, not until she already had five or six episodes under her belt. She wanted this production to be a faithful adaptation of the original source material, the books, uninfluenced by past productions. With that in mind, it was really interesting to see where the opening episode both differed from the 1970s version and made similar choices. This version is much faster paced, inevitably - viewed on its own merits, I thought it succeeded pretty well in establishing the characters and setting, although the more leisurely pace of the original adaptation allows rather greater insight and atmosphere, imo, and layers the character's really well. If I didn't know that, though, I'd be satisfied with the introduction we got. The diciest thing, for me, was Eleanor Tomlinson's Demelza - I think she'll shine once Demelza has developed a bit, although she'll always be a hard sell after Angharad Rees's portrayal, but she's a bit tall and womanly to really convince as the street waif dressed as a boy she originally appears as. Demelza was 13 when Ross first met her in the book - she's aged up to mid teens or thereabouts here, but where Angharad Rees completely convinced as the juvenile urchin, Tomlinson wasn't quite as effective. She scrubbed up well, though - remarkably fast, for a single dousing! And I do think she'll do well as the older Demelza as time passes.

• Love 1

This is the episode discussion thread, but no one posting in here has actually seen the first episode yet, so...am I safe to talk about it or not? Is this being used as a US-paced thread or is it okay to discuss episodes at UK pace? Because it's already on here, that was why I asked for this sub-forum!

I've enjoyed Aidan Turner's work since he appeared in Being Human - also loved his portrayal of Dante Gabriel Rossetti in Desperate Romantics.

I just created an episode topic, so feel free to post in there to your heart's content!

Since we're going to do individual episode topics, I'll convert this into an anticipation thread. :)

• Love 1

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Poldark when it airs on PBS (in June, I believe). Watched the original series back in the day and loved it, so glad they revived it for a new generation of viewers. I've heard this version has sweeping views of the Cornish coast, which is sure to be beautiful. I've always wanted to visit Cornwall but haven't had the chance as yet.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just went to add the series to my DVR, and though it was supposed to premier on the 14th (this coming Sunday), it's not in the listings. I looked online at TVGuide.com, and they don't show anything for the next couple of weeks. That site also says it premiered March 8, but I assumed that was the UK date. Anyone know what's going on with the U.S. broadcast? I don't want to miss it! Or did I miss it already?

ETA: OK -- Don't rely on IMDB... It begins on the 21st instead of the 14th.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/schedule/

Edited by justmehere
  • Love 1