Type keyword(s) to search

If you Could Take Control - What is your Version of the Zombie Apocalypse?

• Start Topic

So I think it isn't a stretch to say that most people think Kirkman is kind of an asshat.  We know he hates the CDC arc because he never wanted to say anything about how the virus started or how it will end or really anything about the science of it.

If you could take control how would you change the show?  In your head what is the explanation for how it all began?

I really like the idea that it could be just a thing that occurs in nature every 500 years or so.  Look at how the Inca's lived.  All those steps, homes built into mountains - perfect for being safe from Zombies.  The cave cultures from Turkey where everything from housing to farming was underground.  I just think it is interesting to think about.

If I had control of the show one thing that I would LOVE to see is like the cliffhanger from Season 7 or 8....At the end of the season finale the camera pans out and up...and up...going to a satellite type view and we see that everything west of the Mississippi is business as usual.  What a mind fucking that would be!

• Love 1

I really don't know why I can't just 'sit back and "go with it"' - as in why everything went to shit - but I would give a major organ to know just wtf happened.

Was it a virus that got out and out of control?  Was it a meteor strike that threw something in the atmosphere that started it all?  "Mother Nature"'s idea of 'population control'??

Guess I've always been a person who needs to know why something happened.  Could take a long time to figure out, but I need to know.

• Love 1

If I had control of the show one thing that I would LOVE to see is like the cliffhanger from Season 7 or 8....At the end of the season finale the camera pans out and up...and up...going to a satellite type view and we see that everything west of the Mississippi is business as usual.  What a mind fucking that would be!

Ideas like that are probably what got Frank Darabont fired.

I really don't know why I can't just 'sit back and "go with it"' - as in why everything went to shit - but I would give a major organ to know just wtf happened.… Could take a long time to figure out, but I need to know.

Funny, but I could not care less. I cannot stand Robert Kirkman, but I agree the CDC reveal was a terrible idea. Now the show is stuck with that as canon, narrowing the possibilities for future storytelling. Even for the companion series, no doubt.

• Love 2
Funny, but I could not care less. I cannot stand Robert Kirkman, but I agree the CDC reveal was a terrible idea. Now the show is stuck with that as canon, narrowing the possibilities for future storytelling. Even for the companion series, no doubt.

It doesn't make TWD any less interesting or entertaining, its just a personal quirk of mine.  Like if it were real and I were living it, I would desperately want to know why I (and everyone else) are having to live in this unbelievable hell.

• Love 2

I'm usually a person who questions everything and I always like to know how something works, but to be honest, I think it works best not knowing what the ZA is all about. In the context of TWD I enjoy experiencing it as the characters do and figuring it out as they do. And I don't see the CDC as really screwing things up or limiting possibilities at all. On the contrary it really opened things up with the 'everyone is infected' thing. Because now, no matter how secure your perimeter defenses are against a herd of walkers, you are always vulnerable to a random death inside the perimeter and that person turning. Otherwise the CDC episode told us that they didn't know shit about it; viral, bacterial, fungal, ...?

• Love 2

I've expanded the title of this thread so it makes a bit more sense as to what the thread is about - however that doesn't mean that the thread title can't change. If someone thinks of something better - by all means.

I like this thread concept though:

If you could take control how would you change the show?  In your head what is the explanation for how it all began?

How would YOU see or think the zombie apocalypse would unfold in real life?? How do you think the show should have been presented?

However, you also asked another question - what you would LOVE to see on the show, which makes me think this thread could be a TWD Wish list.....

It doesn't make TWD any less interesting or entertaining, its just a personal quirk of mine. Like if it were real and I were living it, I would desperately want to know why I (and everyone else) are having to live in this unbelievable hell.

Sorry, I didn't express myself well—I understand (and respect) your need for answers. I enjoy unanswered questions and ambiguity. Probably because it allows for plenty of conjecture and "what ifs." HBO's The Leftovers does this well, and I really enjoyed the constant WTF feeling I had throughout the aptly named "What Happened and What's Going On." If I were in charge, the show would take more risks like that.

As for how this show should end, I started watching TWD because of Frank Darabont's 2007 film The Mist. So I would love an ending that calls into question everything that came before (such as kj4ever gave above). But given the bad blood between TPTB and Darabont, I can't see that ever happening.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 3

Sorry, I didn't express myself well—I understand (and respect) your need for answers. I enjoy unanswered questions and ambiguity. Probably because it allows for plenty of conjecture and "what ifs." HBO's The Leftovers does this well, and I really enjoyed the constant WTF feeling I had throughout the aptly named "What Happened and What's Going On." If I were in charge, the show would take more risks like that.

For individual episodes and/or arcs, I agree.  That constant feeling of "what is going on?!" can be entertaining and pull you into it.

I don't mean to sound like I take personal issue with you preferring not knowing (if I do), because I don't, at all.  I just wish, if nothing else, just us viewers were let in on the catalyst for the current state of the world.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

The one problem I have with the show is the premise that there is a complete and total breakdown of civilization, with random and disparate groups like the Governor's town and the Terminus gang being the loan bastions of power.  Of course groups like that would exist, but the people with the *real* power do not seem to exist at all in this show.  Namely, our friends in the military-industrial complex.  You know damn well that the military is fully prepared for just about any apocalypse scenario, and after ascertaining the nature and threat of this plague, would effectively quarantine their bases and implement their survival plans.  Facilities ranging from Travis to NORAD to Area 51 would be locked down and fully stocked for years of survival in the post-zombie apocalypse world.  Sending out squads in full combat gear to mow down mindless husks lumbering around would be like shooting fish in a barrel.  Hell, you could send out choppers and kill them every day by the thousands.  In a matter of months their numbers would be very thin, cities quarantined off, survivors evacuated.  Military bases all over this country would become the main centers of civilization.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2