Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E14: Showcase #2

• Start Topic

Saw a video recently on YouTube of Harry when he was a mentor, telling everyone to stick to the melody, don't throw in superfluous runs, singing is about communicating the meaning of the lyrics etc. So what happened?  You had Clark screaming the words of "Georgia" and conveying not a drop of the song's sense of wistful longing. You had Shia singing the word "Higher" like it has five syllables. You have some of the most affected, gimmicky singing I've heard on Idol in years, and Harry seems to be fine with all of it. I guess it doesn't take long being a judge on this show before you just stop caring.

I feel like many of the Top 24 are actors playing singers in a movie or a Broadway show, rather than being real singers. It's all about theatrics and image. I know this show isn't called "The Voice," but they do still talk about finding America's best undiscovered singers. But when you're running around the stage and doing slides, like you're James Brown instead of some 16 year old kid who can't even sing in key while standing still, and the judges go nuts, what kind of message does that send?

They tipped their hand early with who was going to be Top 24 by the amount of air time given all the most affected, image driven performers, like Shia and Qasim Middleton. (Wait, is he in the Top 24 or is it his overbearing stage mother? And I believe someone posted that he was an actor on some kid sit-com, so like I said, people playing singers.) So between those two and Jax and Daniel and a slew of 16 year olds, it's more clear than ever that Idol is about finding America's Next Favorite Fantasy Boyfriend/Girlfriend than about music.

Out of the 24 there are maybe five, six tops, who impressed me as being serious about music. I mean, music for the sake of music. Not music as the most convenient avenue to becoming a "star."

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

Josette:

Thanks for the info about banjo girl from Branson. I think she had a great voice and a different presence and should have been able to get through and show what she was able to do. If it turned out she was one dimensiobnal..so be it. But at least she should have had the shot instead of some of the absolute slugs that made it.

• Love 1