Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Hall Of Just Talk

Lisin

Waffles in the steam tray! There's a huge pot of coffee on.

Just think, our dear writingdreamer is now in England. *sniff* I hope she's having a wonderful time and easy adjustment.

Good morning. In the steam tray this morning, we have Lobster Thermidor aux crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provençale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle paté, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.

::The house elves come in, dressed as Vikings, singing The Spam Song::

Happy Birthday, Mark!

• Love 1

Hey guys, so I'm not in England.  Got turned away at the border; basically because I didn't have a return ticket and because they didn't think I had enough money.  I'll grant them the return ticket, although I explained that I've been living with my folks and they're supposed to be moving, we just don't know where yet, but the big red flag was when I mentioned meeting my boyfriend online.  Apparently they've had issues with young women meeting guys online and wanting to come over, yet they don't know much about them, even their last names or addresses, and I get that being an issue, but Keith and I aren't like that at all!  

I'm just really disappointed but hoping to be able to resolve the problem and get back over there soon!

Mark, basically they paid for my flight back, but it was pretty awful in the meantime.  I was locked in a holding area, got interviewed and fingerprinted, didn't get to see Keith at all, and had to stay overnight in a detention center.  I swear, by the time I got out of there I felt like I'd done something wrong but still didn't know what!  I'm now looking for another job to help me make more money, had an interview yesterday and waiting to hear back, and I'm filling out an application for a visitors visa.

• Love 1

Good morning everyone, how are things?

I have a client who has SPECTACULAR season tickets to the Rangers and he has given them to me on a couple of occasions. I was at Monday's game that was pert near a rain out and they didn't mention Hamilton at all. It wouldn't surprise me if we sent him to a minor league team for a week or two to get some spring training.

Frankly anybody else in our outfield will be better at outfield than our current outfield. Hamilton cannot be worse than Choo. Statistically impossible.

The most magnificent thing about this of course is that the Angels will be paying almost all of his salary and that due to Hamilton's no trade clause Texas was the only place he wanted to be traded to so the Angels were in essence forced to send him here or hold onto him. It is the Anti-A-Rod deal for us.

edited because I like to pretend I have an education

Edited by Hanged Man
  • Love 2

He's not kidding. I've seen pictures, and the seats are better than the ones I was gifted in Toronto.

HM, one of our favorite movies is on! "Death is... whimsical today."

(edited)
HM, one of our favorite movies is on! "Death is... whimsical today."

Possibly his best role ever. Though JBE Zorg is a really good role as well

A little bit of craziness in my neck of the woods last night; it seems some stupid intolerant people pissed off a couple of crazy intolerant people, and the crazy people started shooting at the stupid people. I only bring this up because it happened within 1000 feet of a restaurant that my parents and I like to go to on Sunday nights. Fortunately I was in the mood for seafood as opposed to Tex-Mex so we did not go to Matt's. Creepy weird.

Edited by Hanged Man

Waffles in the steam tray.

A little bit of craziness in my neck of the woods last night; it seems some stupid intolerant people pissed off a couple of crazy intolerant people, and the crazy people started shooting at the stupid people. I only bring this up because it happened within 1000 feet of a restaurant that my parents and I like to go to on Sunday nights. Fortunately I was in the mood for seafood as opposed to Tex-Mex so we did not go to Matt's. Creepy weird.

Just when I'd given up on wondering, "How close is that to HM," whenever a news item pops up from your neck of the woods. I'm extremely thankful that you were in the mood for seafood last night.

I'll have to see if the TH near my office has those Nutella donuts.  I am also still hoping that Dunkin' will expand their test run of Boston Cream croissant donuts.

In other news, it has been a very long time since I had my cholesterol checked.  I think I'm waiting for the government to confirm that it really doesn't matter after all.

Glad that you weren't in that mess, HM! 

Glad to hear you managed to avoid the nutbars, HM. :)

BTW, caprice, you picked a bad time to leave Canada...

Spruce, I adore you, but you pick this as a reason for me to have picked a bad time to leave Canada? They're shooting for Heroes in my old stomping grounds!

If I want Nutella, I'll spread it on toast or bake it into brownies. :)

In other news, it has been a very long time since I had my cholesterol checked.  I think I'm waiting for the government to confirm that it really doesn't matter after all.

Cholesterol doesn't matter.

• Love 1

Got home a little later because I had to vote. In case I didn't say it months ago . . . I come from a Congressional district that elected a guy who had been up on twenty counts of nastiness, and he plead guilty to one of them. So he resigned his seat. And the election is today. And I'm sure that the Republican is going to win, even though he's the guy that couldn't get justice for Eric Gardner. If I'm running as a Democrat, I'd be coming out to "Won't Get Fooled Again" (or whatever the song is titled) every chance I got.

So . . .. anybody see the new Avengers movie? I liked it, though I don't think it was as good as the original. Also, I got an urge to splurge on a sketch, asking for both versions of Quicksilver . . . from Age Of Ultron and X-Men: Days Of Future Past.

So . . .. anybody see the new Avengers movie? I liked it, though I don't think it was as good as the original. Also, I got an urge to splurge on a sketch, asking for both versions of Quicksilver . . . from Age Of Ultron and X-Men: Days Of Future Past.

It doesn't open here for at least another couple of weeks. (And I say "at least" 'cause they still haven't announced a date for it yet. They're showing Get Hard next week, for frig's sake, but haven't announced when, or even if they're showing Avengers. Irritating as heck, lemme tell you....)

I know HM has seen it.

In other news... SUCK IT TIMMIES!!! The small grocery store in my town finally (re)opened on Monday and I went in to check things out this morning. While I had a lot of fun grinning at the folks protesting lack of union membership there, it was more fun to wander the aisles to see what they have. I found everything on my list AND... freshly-made Nutella Twists in the bakery department. :D

• Love 1
So . . .. anybody see the new Avengers movie? I liked it, though I don't think it was as good as the original. Also, I got an urge to splurge on a sketch, asking for both versions of Quicksilver . . . from Age Of Ultron and X-Men: Days Of Future Past.

I enjoyed it though not as much as the first one or the first Iron Man movie which are IMO the best of the Marvel movies. I wont discuss the particular things I had a problem with so as not to spoil but there was at least one big flaw that I could find.

Good morning. Waffles in the steam tray.

We have smart TV's, smart cars, smartphones... this had to happen sometime.  Certainly no graphic images (although the look on her face speaks volumes) but you may not want your boss reading over your shoulder.

Snerk. I could've told y'all about something similar to this a year ago. ;) Maybe not quite as high-tech, but my old company has some fun stuff like this.

Hey guys, so I got a job working at a local bookstore, anxiously waiting to hear when my first day is.  Other than that, I'm struggling with being able to write a story that's been nibbling at my brain for the past few weeks, and trying to fight off being bored, believe it or not.

• Love 1

Just checking to see if anybody here saw the Survivor finale. It went well . . . I feel the biggest "WTF" moment of the night happened when I switched to the CW at 9 and saw some girl singing the opening part of "Carry On My Wayward Son" in the Supernatural finale. Come on, the a capella intro is the best part of that kickass song. I'm more or less glad I gave up SPN due to DVR constraints.

They messed with "Wayward Son"? Geez, no wonder I dropped that show a couple of years ago.

I was kinda indifferent to Mike, but he actually won me over last night when he coached Carolyn in fire-making to help her win the tiebreaker.

For me, the WTF moment was in the reunion. Not just that they spent two segments and about 20 minutes talking about the rampant misogyny this season, but that it took Probst about 15 minutes to actually talk to a woman about it.

Yeah . . . I think the SPN finales are must-see for the "The Road So Far" montage set to Kansas. After the girl singing, they went back to the regular format . . . but it was jarring. What's your favorite TV tradition? Halloween episodes of Roseanne? Christmas eps from American Dad?

As for Survivor? I think Probst wanted to protect the brand, and Shirin was a big enough fangirl to warrant defending. I don't remember another recent season that got as much vitriol from me. During the Will/Shirin debacle, I was yelling, "Fuck you. Go to jail" at the TV. Man, there were so many assholes, and the bulk of the majority alliance was chock full of them. Here's hoping S31 is an improvement. Something tells me that S32 is crap, if it got pushed to 2016.

Waffles, bacon, sausage and eggs in steam trays. There's a huge pot of coffee nearby as well.

Oh, and the waffles are served Sally Draper style -- with rum.

I hope everyone has had a good weekend and that your Memorial Day is peaceful.

• Love 2

I need advice . . . I'm no longer employed, and anytime my phone's alarm sounds off, I tend to turn it off and go back to sleep for an extended period of time. How can I keep (and stay) awake in the morning?

Wow . . . Toronto sounds like it's interesting. Maybe I will go back for their convention. I didn't have as much fun last year, though I didn't really build on tourist stuff from previous visits. Right now, I'm thinking of going to Boston's comic con in case I get shut out of NYCC.

(edited)

So, our Toronto correspondent relocates to the nation's Flour Mill District and what happens?

The Batmobile chases the Joker down Yonge Street. (Yes, the Joker is driving a candy purple Lamborghini Aventador.)

(potential Suicide Squad spoiler)

Grr. And I bet that's not the only filming going on.

I need advice . . . I'm no longer employed, and anytime my phone's alarm sounds off, I tend to turn it off and go back to sleep for an extended period of time. How can I keep (and stay) awake in the morning?

I'm having similar issues. I just get out of bed and be awake.

Spruce, still sending you all kinds of good thoughts. I hope the service went well.

Edited by caprice
  • Love 2
(edited)

Hey everyone how are things?

The rain we are getting is troubling, on Mothers day two weeks ago we had already gotten a stupid amount of rain.  And it has rained at least every 2 days since then.

Ah something I am an expert in. When I was doing nothing I ran into this all the time. The best way (and the hardest) to wake up at the right time is to get to sleep at the right time. It makes getting up harder if you are still tired when the alarm goes off and you have no overriding motivation. Second, I would schedule overriding motivations for the morning to force me to get up: meet my sister or my dad for breakfast, schedule all the appointments I had, or what have you. Third and this is desperate I NEED TO GET UP GODDAMMIT is to have an energy drink or heavily caffeinated beverage waiting next to my alarm so when I went to hit the alarm I would remember the drink and quickly drink it, thus forcing me awake. I found the bottled shots of espresso or Starbucks worked for me.

Edited by Hanged Man
  • Love 1

I'll give you that, although some might argue how recent 18 months is.

I agree with you about how making morning appointments helps to get a person out of bed. It is certainly my preference.

Hey guys, so my return to the U.K. is set for July 31!  Just got the tickets today and going to submit the visa app on Monday, I'm actually daring to be a little excited!  Hopefully everything will go well and I'll of course keep you guys updated.

• Love 2

Just curious, wd: what state are you in now? I recall you saying something about your family moving at the same time you originally intended to move to the UK, so I wondered where you moved back to.

It was about 4 degrees Celcius that night. (Maybe 40-45 degrees Fareignheit.) Hardly summer weather, sure, but not nearly as bad as that article implied. And our snow melted away about a month ago. (And was pretty much down to the larger snowbanks for weeks before that.)

And yeah, the crew did stay at our hotel. (I even took the reservations.) We'd have gladly taken more, but we were at about 85% capacity, and only had 11 rooms, just enough for the flight crew.

• Love 1