Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: 224 Sq. Ft. Entertaining Abode

Is there a reason I missed that they had to make the "deck" so small? Since that was supposed to be the couple's primary entertaining space, it failed.

The "bed" was large enough but man, so thin! Of course, my old knees wouldn't be up to crawling around the loft, anyway.

I don't understand the to-do about having to use composite materials for the small countertop due to weight concerns when the whole danged "house" is made of plywood.

Is there a reason I missed that they had to make the "deck" so small? Since that was supposed to be the couple's primary entertaining space, it failed.

The "bed" was large enough but man, so thin! Of course, my old knees wouldn't be up to crawling around the loft, anyway.

I don't understand the to-do about having to use composite materials for the small countertop due to weight concerns when the whole danged "house" is made of plywood.

Actually the deck isn't small at all to us, it's 12x12. The reason it is on the smaller side because like the tiny house it needs to be portable so the lower deck is 3 sections and the bench is in 3 sections too. It is portable although super heavy. It also doesn't fail at all for a entertaining space, its perfect.

13" memory foam, standard king bed. Yes crawling around on the hard wood hurts the knees but that has been remedied after the filming

The term composite is used to compare it to granite or concrete, which both are extremely heavy in a mobile structure. So like other composite countertops it is much much lighter.

That was the California king bed that they jus HAD to have, and yes it was down in the floor, surrounded by storage cubbies. I keep racking my brain trying to figure out how they'd make the damn thing.

Like mentioned in the above post, its actually just a standard king, which is not really too big of a deal, the width of the house is 8.5' and a king is smaller than that so why not, we like our sleep :)

We don't make the bed everyday, never made the bed everyday in our 1300 sq ft house. We use a duvet like we did in the big house so we will make it before guesta come but not everyday, who really makes their bed everyday anyway?

• Love 3

outback, you the person from the show? Awkward. I think I'll just avoid my comments this week.

Yep its my house, I welcome all comments good or bad, just thought I would give that other side to what you see since it still leaves people with lots of questions

• Love 3

outback, we watched your episode last night. loved your house. we are planning to go that route as well, but looking for everything to be main floor living as we are entering our retirement years. thought the patio was great.

• Love 1

We don't make the bed everyday, never made the bed everyday in our 1300 sq ft house. We use a duvet like we did in the big house so we will make it before guesta come but not everyday, who really makes their bed everyday anyway?

No, I get not making the bed daily---I don't either. But even getting a clean fitted sheet on that particular bed looked challenging.

• Love 1

outback, we watched your episode last night. loved your house. we are planning to go that route as well, but looking for everything to be main floor living as we are entering our retirement years. thought the patio was great.

Thank you very much! have you seen the Minim house? that was the floor plan used in the Rochester Retreat episode. its single floor and its really spacious. downsizing to this scale takes alot of planning and its not some rush decision as soon people assume it to be.

if you would like to see more of our house and also the changes we are doing please check out our website at wwwTinyHouseBasics.com

No, I get not making the bed daily---I don't either. But even getting a clean fitted sheet on that particular bed looked challenging.

Oh a fitted sheet is a two person job thats for sure, but a fitted sheet on our old Cal King was also a two person job. 

alot of people comment on the lofts in general and say they could never crawl in such a low space but that concept isnt new, if you are a big camper or offroader your very familiar with low tents or Roof Top Tents like the one i have on my offroad trailer as seen in the episode, that only has like 3.5 feet tall of space to work with yet we have been using that for years for extended offroad trips and its never been a problem, not everybody can do that but it allows up to have some of the best scenic views in the morning that no hotel in the world can provide and for that trade off its completely worth it!

here is more on our camping set up:

http://tinyhousebasics.com/taking-your-tiny-offroad/

• Love 2

Thank you very much! have you seen the Minim house? that was the floor plan used in the Rochester Retreat episode. its single floor and its really spacious. downsizing to this scale takes alot of planning and its not some rush decision as soon people assume it to be.

if you would like to see more of our house and also the changes we are doing please check out our website at wwwTinyHouseBasics.com

I have not seen that one. We recently downsized from a fivebedroom house (3400 sq. feet) to a 2 bedroom, one bath (1000 sq. feet) with ease. I think we could go smaller with ease. The things I would have trouble giving up are my deceased daughter's art and jewelry. Plus my art supplies. Clothes, no problem. My son can have everything if he wants it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look! :-)

BTW I laughed at your requirement to have access to "Shark Tank". My son recently audition for it. We are waiting to hear.

Edited by Jellybeans

I was glad to see a handrail on the stairs, something they usually leave off.

I really think you should have a fire extinguisher in the loft, and downstairs too.

Yes we wanted a handrail so we made sure there was one.

We do have a fire extinguisher upstairs and down, I just prefer not to display them :)

• Love 1