Type keyword(s) to search

Top Five (2014)

nicepebbles
  • Start Topic

The hubby and I are Chris Rock fans from way back so we were really looking forward to seeing this movie.  We enjoyed it.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2014/12/19/371875489/pop-culture-happy-hour-top-five-and-the-art-of-the-mixtape

The above pretty much encapsulates what I liked about the movie and what I didn't.  They explain it better than I could since it's been a couple of weeks since I've seen it.

The one thing they didn't touch on, probably because it didn't really fit, were the scenes with him and the girls that turned out to be prostitutes. While I laughed my butt off through most of that stuff.  It felt gratuitous and out of place.  And it went on for two long.  It didn't add anything.

Gabrielle Union was mentioned in the podcast.  They didn't touch on the scene between her and Andre when they were both on the phone.  I thought her saying what she said about herself was interesting and unexpected.

I have more to say but would like to know if anybody else see it?

• Love 1

Saw it and really liked it.  I agree the prostitute scene went on way to long.  I love Woody Allen movies so I think the description of Chris's version of a Woody movie fits.  I have always loved Rosario Dawson but I have to say this is one of my favorite performances from her.  I thought the scene with her in the liquor store resisting the urge was so heartfelt. 

I hope Chris continues on this path.

• Love 1

I did! I was tempted to start a thread a few weeks back but didn't--so am glad you did.

My parents saw this for their anniversary and my mom's reaction was, "You'll love it. A little bit too much sex for me." And yeah--she was right; I loved it. I floved the scene where he's with his old friends (A+ co-stars there), and that moment with his dad. Amazing music. 

The only quibble I had was that Rosario Dawson's character is obviously a brilliant thinker & New York Times writer with sharp observations about *everything* on one hand, and completely clueless when it comes to her trifling boyfriend on the other. It just wasn't believable to me based on everything else she was shown to be throughout the movie (read: a badass in all the best ways).

In all, I'm a big fan. 

(And my Top Five, in no particular order: Tupac, Jay Z, the Beastie Boys, Common, Eminem.)

Edited by hendersonrocks

The only quibble I had was that Rosario Dawson's character is obviously a brilliant thinker & New York Times writer with sharp observations about *everything* on one hand, and completely clueless when it comes to her trifling boyfriend on the other.

I did enjoy this movie but I surprised myself but being annoyed at the 'gay' boyfriend bit. A guy can like having his prostate stimulated without automatically wanting a dick up in there...

I find myself more and more annoyed at the classification of people as gay or straight with no grey in between. The guy was with Rosario and is found to be fucking a guy too. Conclusion: he's gay.  Is there no such thing as a bisexual person in film? 

The same damned thing happened in This Is Where I Leave You with Jane Fonda's character and it pissed me off then too. She was

married to a man and hooked up with her female neighbour after his death. Her kids decide that "she's a lesbian" now

. Ugh.

Edited by NoWillToResist

JBC344, I've watched  maybe 1 Woody Allen film in my life. I've seen enough clips and heard them talked about enough that I get the comparison. I think it's fitting. As for Chris continuing on this path, I hope so, too. While I've liked his other directed, wrote and starred in, this is the strongest, especially when it comes to acting. He's got limited range. He's best when he's playing a version of himself. I think Andre is like him on a surface level. He took those similarities and ran with them.

hendersonrocks, Rosario's character's "cluelessness" about her BF works for me b/c people be can be on their game in their professional life and not be that way in their personal life. And as NoWillToResist says, "A guy can like having his prostate stimulated without automatically wanting a dick up in there...", which I agree with, if that was what you were referring to. Like she should've had a clue about his sexuality. I say she should've had a clue that maybe things weren't great when he didn't answer her phone calls or texts on his birthday. She said everything was fine and then no communication on his birthday? Suspicious.

I mentioned in my first post the moment Gabrielle's character reveals a truth about herself. That moment, the moment where Sherri's character admits she f'ed up in letting Andre go and the moment with his really added depth and "realness", for lack of a better term at the moment, to the movie.

hendersonrocks, Rosario's character's "cluelessness" about her BF works for me b/c people be can be on their game in their professional life and not be that way in their personal life. And as NoWillToResist says, "A guy can like having his prostate stimulated without automatically wanting a dick up in there...", which I agree with, if that was what you were referring to.

Yeah, it's not that I was bothered by his preferences in the sack (who cares, is my opinion); it just seemed like he was generally treating her like shit and dodging her. I totally agree with your broader point, though, and also know people who excel in one part of their life and have a trainwreck in another. This was just the one (small) part of the movie that I'd nitpick.

Just caught this on demand and enjoyed it. Was anyone else hoping for a Pookie-esque moment when Andre was talking about his rock bottom? The DMX cameo was hilarious.

My top 5 (no particular order) Jay Z, Redman, Black Thought (The Roots), Notorious B.I.G., Big Daddy Kane

Edited by spaceytraci1208