Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: How You Doin'?

Madness

I converted the show request into the Small Talk thread for the show. Please feel free to start threads for characters, episodes, etc.!

If you (collectively) would like to change the name of the Small Talk thread jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

When I'm working late, my go-to background noise is Friends repeats on nick@nite from 11-1. I keep waiting for them to get old, but they (mostly) somehow never do (of course, their familiarity is what makes them work as background noise). I don't usually have time to post much, but I'd be up for some discussion. 

Here's a question for any youngins that might be hanging around (or anyone else who might know): I was thinking about showing a relevant clip in my class today or next week, but are college students today familiar with the show? Or will I just be showing my age even more than usual?

My younger sister graduated from college this year and she and her friends all know about Friends. She actually has the whole dvd set so I don't think it's too old!

I'm 26 and my friends and I quote this show all the time ("He's so pretty I could die!"). I don't think kids a few years younger than me would not get it. It's pretty timeless and always on re-runs. Besides the fashions, I feel like it has aged pretty well. It's not completely full of pop-culture references that kids wouldn't get or anything.

(edited)

I'm 23 (almost 24) and I love the show. Most of my friends around my age also love it. Most of are still in college or fresh out of it.

Edited by Madness

We recently were in L.A. and went on a tour of Warner Brothers Studios.  For fans of Friends it must've been sheer Heaven as we were taken to one of the sets (the coffee shop set).  Our tour guide used everyone's cameras to take their picture as they took turns sitting on the couch and pretending to be drinking coffee (they even provided big coffee cups).  He said the stars of the show are making tons each year in residuals (even the guy who hardly had any lines but made the coffee makes $500,000/year).

I came relatively late (only started watching a few months after the series finale), but after mainlining all seasons, I was irreversibly hooked. I'd say that although some of the lines and looks in the show date it (e.g. the twin towers, Chandler rattling off his new computer's specs), it's still more funny than most of the other shows of the past five or so years. I'm still in shock that it's been almost twenty years since it started.

Another little thing: lucky for me, the nearby used-book shop was selling Friends-related books at a very affordable price a few days ago. Bought 'em all.