Type keyword(s) to search

Molly Hooper: She's Always Counted

Winnief

Dedicated to the little ME who did count....and kudos to Loo Brealey whose brilliant performance made Moffat and Gatiss break their first rule of NOT including any new regulars who weren't in the books.

Personally she's one of my favorite parts of the show despite limited screen time-much, MUCH better than Irene or for that matter Mary.  THere's a great analysis of her at this wonderful site http://sherlockcharacterconfessions.tumblr.com/

Molly Hooper, in my opinion, is the polar opposite of Irene Adler, psychologically speaking. Molly Hooper possesses a profound emotional strength that is usually hidden beneath a shy and seemingly fragile demeanor. Irene Adler is a very strong and intimidating woman from an exterior point of view, but has a hidden fragility within her.

In The Reichenbach Fall, Molly told Sherlock Holmes that he looked sad when he thought nobody was looking, and then proceeded to say that she would be there if he needed her. Molly is very insightful when it comes to people and their needs, but she usually does not show that off unless someone really needs help and she believes that she can give it. It also appears that she is used to being ignored or unnoticed, especially by Sherlock, judging by the way she said “I don’t count" without hesitation or emotion. Despite her belief that she doesn’t count to Sherlock, she is still eager to assist him and help him, partially because she still has romantic feelings for him, but also because of her eagerness to assist and care for others in need.

Molly often tries to please other people at the expense of her own comfort. Judging by her behavior, it is possible that something traumatic happened to Molly Hooper that has caused her to harbor guilt for many years, such as a divorce, rape, or the death of a family member (possibly the death of her father). It is usually long-term guilt that causes a person to have the singular personality traits that Molly Hooper possesses.

Another great take on the character http://misstransmission.co.uk/the-real-woman-why-molly-hooper-is-the-one-who-counts

And lately it sounds like they're planning for Molly to play a bigger role in the future...is Sherlolly possible?!?  Or is Molly being set up to be a woman in a refrigerator?!?  (God no!) Or for something else entirely?!?

Feel free to share your own takes on the character here! 

• Love 2

[side comment: Could we possibly change the name of the thread? Maybe to "Not all the men she falls for turn out to be sociopaths" or the like? Because this one really makes me very uncomfortable--and Sherlock (even Sherlock!) DID apologize for making that comment, so...]

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 3