Type keyword(s) to search

Book Two: Bring Up The Bodies

Just finished Bring up the Bodies and I feel that the Cromwell at the end of this book is different than the Cromwell at the end of Wolf Hall.  I found the section towards the end where he realizes that Wolsey's handwriting no longer has an effect on him and his sudden doubts about his dead wife's faithfulness and youngest daughter's paternity to very sad.  Not only has time moved on, but I assume that this was Mantel's way of showing how the stress of his ambitions and ruthlessness have made him just a bit colder.

The machinations required to bring about the downfall of the Boleyns was quite fascinating, as things changed from day to day.  I had no idea of the quickness of Anne's fall.  From start to finish was it just a month?

I do think that it is quite the coincidence that the Cardinal's mockers just happened to be the ones condemned to death.  Yes, I know that he, Cromwell, saw to that, as a matter of vengeance, but it is a bit much that every single one of them were in a such a compromising position that he could pull that off.

• Love 1