Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Castle Showrunner Teases Rick's Journey, One BIG Mystery & More at TV Fanatic

I've just about had my fill of teasing from the showrunners thanks. 

Needless to say the word "mythology" gets mentioned a lot.

Thanks Samantha, It does indeed look like a ring which fits with the latest spoilers, nice to see that they're making sure the actors wear them (at least for now).

Edited by verdana

Still don't buy the storyline with all the background checks Beckett had to go through and her being that stupid.

I really do wish someone on the AMA would ask them about that, it was the most piss poor plot line. 

Is his writing ability that limited or does he believe the audience is so dumb we can't deal with 2 ongoing storylines at the same time?! ;)

Both I suspect.  

Great showrunner continuity.  More mentions of 'mythology' to excite us all.   And hmm... to be seen whether they actually learned any lessons about writing Alexis.

I fear they haven't but we shall see. Mythology, mythologies....urgh!

Amann also stressed that the same idea applies to the format of the show. “The basic premise of the show, episode-to-episode, is to have fun Castle-Beckett episodes and do our occasional thriller episode along with this other mythology that will pop up from time to time as it has in previous seasons with Beckett.”

So basically everything is going to remain the same and I can forget any improvements in terms of continuity for this show.  Can't' say I'm shocked by that, I'm sure TPTB feel if it aint broke don't fix it. 

Edited by verdana

I really do wish someone on the AMA would ask them about that, it was the most piss poor plot line. 

And here is another one pointing out stuff Marlowe said about that stupid storyline:

Many fans were upset about how you (Marlowe) felt Beckett's character needed to be taken down a peg to "equal" Castle, ie marriage faux paux to O'Leary. How does this go toward empowering women? Could you please clarify?

[–]castle_writers

AWM: We never thought it was about "taking her down a peg." We thought it was about showing a character who had a very human moment and discovered something about herself. In terms of being an empowered woman, Beckett's accomplishments speak for themselves. We all have moments in our past that do not define us, but from which we grow.

Edited by cappuccino

The more equal footing justification is such a poor rationale imo. We'll never know if the other writers truly thought the previous wedding plot was a good idea, or just AM/TM.

Even worse is that the prop screen had her Vegas marriage happen in March '97 so she would be 17 and still in high school. So Rebel!Becks graduated hs really early to be at Stanford, meet Rogan, a drive thru wedding in Vegas and this pre-law student didn't think it was real? There was no date of when Nebula 9 aired so it could possibly fit in spring '97 or fall of '98. Then she had time to model back home for the summer in '97 or '98 depending if you gonna go with Inventing The Girl or Dressed To Kill show canon. Then there was that missed prom for poetry thing she mention so that makes no sense since they never establish her hs graduation yr in her jumbled hs/college history. She sure was busy. Apparently math and continuity is just as hard as to juggle multiple storylines in 1 ep for them. How they don't have a show bible with a timeline of events for each character so the prop department is on the same page baffles me.

Wow that was a really recent interview for Nathan. I did like how different each pic are for his 3 well known characters. You got kind and happy Castle, douchey Hammer and serious Mal. It was a lot better than the typical talking points of the last few.

Still don't buy the storyline with all the background checks Beckett had to go through and her being that stupid.

Checked into the link provided for the AMA and what was the first thing I saw?

[–]CastleFan88 23 points 2 hours ago

Question for Marlowe, How, in your mind, do you explain Beckett's marriage not being caught in any background check related to her positions with the NYPD or the AG's office?

[–]RazerPhoenix 3 points 9 minutes ago

It is very telling that they chose not to answer this question despite it being the top thread here and asked numerous times throughout the IAmA.

Even worse is that the prop screen had her Vegas marriage happen in March '97 so she would be 17 and still in high school.

And not legally married, despite the lawyer specifically saying she was 18.  That's an oops by the props people.

DA: As Castle and Beckett's partnership has grown over the course of time, him being a writer and her being his inspiration for "Nikki Heat" is now a smaller part of the relationship.

This kind of bugs me because what made Castle as a show unique was the writer/muse relationship, so to hear them downplay that now hurts.

[–]xfkirsten 7 points 2 hours ago

One of my favorite aspects of the show is its natural character development. Are the characters becoming what you imagined when you first began writing the series, or have they grown organically in ways that you didn't expect?

[–]castle_writers 13 points 2 hours ago

AWM: Both. The Castle/Beckett trajectory has followed along the lines of my expectations. But along the way we've kept ourselves open to things the characters have asked us for as we developed them. When I was writing the pilot, the back-stories of Lanie, Espo, Ryan, Martha, and Alexis weren't fully explored, so it was fun to get into the series and develop those characters. And some of the things we discovered along the way were unexpected and exciting.

When did these characters get properly developed? Because I think that's one of the weakest aspects, the paucity of character development when it comes to the secondary cast, it's woeful when compared to other shows out there.  When some wax lyrical about a fist bump between Alexis and Beckett as signs of the writers showing signs of developing their relationship more that kind of sums it up. 

[–]XFchemist 4 points 2 hours ago

Are we going to see something about Lanie's backstory?

[–]castle_writers 14 points an hour ago

DA: That's something a lot of fans are interested in seeing, and so are we. We may get more of a glimpse of her, who she is, and her back story later this season.

Actions speak louder than any words and they've shown zero interest in exploring Lanie's backstory. If they were genuinely interested then we would have seen it, simple as that. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

And here is another one pointing out stuff Marlowe said about that stupid storyline:

(snipped)

AWM: We never thought it was about "taking her down a peg." We thought it was about showing a character who had a very human moment and discovered something about herself. In terms of being an empowered woman, Beckett's accomplishments speak for themselves. We all have moments in our past that do not define us, but from which we grow.

So why did he say it then?  How else were fans to interpret that phrase? Hell even Marlowe devotees who would never say anything critical about him gave Marlowe the side eye after that one.

This is what he said after the finale (excerpt):

But she also always occupied the moral high ground with Castle and his previous relationships. And this is a way to humanize her a little bit. To take her down a peg in a way that’s very endearing to Castle. - GMMR.

His comments after the finale about this annoyed me so much, more than the finale did. 

Or is the ranch their actual honeymoon destination and they happen to stumble upon a murder there?

If that's true, I like a scene of Castle trying to convince Beckett that a dude ranch/western town is an awesome place to honeymoon. She already nix the middle earth tour which sound way more interesting and prettier scenery than on a ranch. On the positive side he probably never took Meredith or Gina there. Lol

Episode 6 is the AU episode, right? It could be interesting if they have a wedding, but keep jumping to scenes in the "what if they never met" universe. That way they could still have a case (in the AU), spend more than 2 minutes on the wedding, and have an excuse to segue into the never met scenario (one of them mentions how much better their life is since they met).

Yeah, the format of the ep could be like Still. The main story is the wedding while instead of flashbacks of their journey together they have the AU scenes of their lives if they never met. Maybe each of them can have a different scenario of their lives while talking to their friends and family. You could have little snippets of Beckett with Jim, Lanie and Espo while on the other side we can have Castle with Martha, Alexis and Ryan getting ready for the wedding day in their seperated suites. Or they can have Beckett with Lanie, Martha and Alexis and Castle with Ryan, Jim and Espo. Or keep the AU convo between the 2 of them and set it a couple days before the wedding. That could be heartfelt and entertaining.

• Love 2

It is very telling that they chose not to answer this question despite it being the top thread here and asked numerous times throughout the IAmA.

How could anybody explain something that idiotic. They threw Beckett under the bus just to delay the wedding. Just horrible writing is all it was no matter how they try to rationalize it.

Andrew Marlowe has stated the story doesn't need to end once the two main characters get married (whenever that happens this season), but I'm not sure Castle can pull off a Bones scenario.

As much as I would like to see it I really doubt these writers could pull it off. After 6 years we really know nothing about these characters other than their sad melodramatic history. Their attempts at them interacting together outside of work have been pitiful. I have no real sense of them as a couple. Every time we see them together in a domestic setting it feels forced & artificial. Sadly they managed to piss away some of the best chemistry in television.

• Love 2

That's proof AWM has no freaking idea what he says and what it means. He just talks out of his ass

Yeah you got that right.

Definitely both wearing rings there no doubt about it in that clip Samantha and if they wanted to keep it a big secret they would have made sure the guy didn't get to see them like that.  Seems TPTB want it known that they're married even if they keep maintaining they're not going to say. Keeps the animals quiet.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

"Esposito is not a traditional values type of guy. Castle already screwed him out of being the best man so there goes the special role. The family unit between them all is tight though. If there's a wedding Castle and Beckett will definitely have support from Espo," he says.

S55. Thanks for the link. I think he's a bit of a git actually (Esposito) and I have news for Jon he (Espo) didn't get screwed out of being best man it was fairly obvious Castle was going to ask his only daugther. He was a fool if he thought it would be otherwise. I don't see any great bond between them, Espo seems to use Castle and is often scathing and insulting towards him for no apparent reason that I can ascertain. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

This kind of bugs me because what made Castle as a show unique was the writer/muse relationship, so to hear them downplay that now hurts.

When did these characters get properly developed? Because I think that's one of the weakest aspects, the paucity of character development when it comes to the secondary cast, it's woeful when compared to other shows out there.  When some wax lyrical about a fist bump between Alexis and Beckett as signs of the writers showing signs of developing their relationship more that kind of sums it up. 

Actions speak louder than any words and they've shown zero interest in exploring Lanie's backstory. If they were genuinely interested then we would have seen it, simple as that. 

Lanie's backstory: she can impersonate her own dead body. 

S55. Thanks for the link. I think he's a bit of a git actually (Esposito) and I have news for Jon he (Espo) didn't get screwed out of being best man it was fairly obvious Castle was going to ask his only daugther. He was a fool if he thought it would be otherwise. I don't see any great bond between them, Espo seems to use Castle and is often scathing and insulting towards him for no apparent reason that I can ascertain. 

He's just pissed he lost against a 16-year-old when Ryan got married. But yeah seriously if Castle hasn't named Alexis Best (wo)Man, he would have taken Ryan. I don't see any real friendship there. At least not from Espo.

His talk about Esplanie is eyerolling for me too. I get it. It's his character and he what else can he say. He doesn't get a storyline but oy I can't take that. It was pointless last season and I don't have high hopes for them this season and honestly I don't care. The character started pissing me off since late season 4. I couldn't care less about Lanie as well.

Give me Martha and more Perlmutter. Ryan is worth watching too. Alexis, Espo and Lanie #yawn

S55. Thanks for the link. I think he's a bit of a git actually (Esposito) and I have news for Jon he (Espo) didn't get screwed out of being best man it was fairly obvious Castle was going to ask his only daughter. He was a fool if he thought it would be otherwise. I don't see any great bond between them, Espo seems to use Castle and is often scathing and insulting towards him for no apparent reason that I can ascertain. 

I agree, but can't take credit for posting the article. That goes to Samantha84! ;) 

How do we know this?

If you watch the rest of the video and not just that screen cap you will notice it is not her putting the phone down in that scene. I'm on my phone so can't state exactly at which sec to freeze frame it. She's of course is in the frame where the Scene 7B clapper is and when getting her makeup applied, etc.

Maybe they found out she was leaking their info to the internet?

She's now had to accept that she got lied to by her so called insider "friends" about the wedding, she could hardly do much else given the mounting evidence that it must have already taken place.  

Edited by verdana

Yeah my opinion is that they want it to get out. Or someone really fucked up. Because shows go to great lengths to keep things like that on lock down.

Nice timing just before the premiere to throw this bone out to the fans. They could have easily had the rings removed before they started filming, seems way too obvious to be anything other than a deliberate move by TPTB. 

If that's true, I like a scene of Castle trying to convince Beckett that a dude ranch/western town is an awesome place to honeymoon. She already nix the middle earth tour which sound way more interesting and prettier scenery than on a ranch. On the positive side he probably never took Meredith or Gina there. Lol

I can't imagine them switching from a private island in the Maldives to a dude ranch.  I'm guessing they have to delay an actual long honeymoon like they wanted because the wedding is at the last minute or because they can't get away after all the drama of the premiere.  But then they have to go to the dude ranch for some other reason.  Although, I guess they could have them go on the honeymoon and then be back in the next episode and THEN go to the dude ranch for this other reason.  Either way, we won't see any real honeymoon moments.

Are they actually called dude ranches in real life? Because all I think of when I hear the term is the old Nickelodeon show Hey Dude.

If you watch the rest of the video and not just that screen cap you will notice it is not her putting the phone down in that scene. I'm on my phone so can't state exactly at which sec to freeze frame it. She's of course is in the frame where the Scene 7B clapper is and when getting her makeup applied, etc.

Also, you can hear a crew member in the background mention "Elena" (?) and how she does that as well as Stana (or really well - it's quick so I can't remember exactly what he says), so I think Nadine's correct in that it's a double. Plus, since they're only shooting her hand, they obviously don't need it to be Stana to get that insert shot. 

Are they actually called dude ranches in real life? Because all I think of when I hear the term is the old Nickelodeon show Hey Dude.

Me too! lol Perhaps the term is still used in certain parts of the country. From that call sheet, I think they're in Arizona on this dude ranch? 

• Love 1

I think turnitwayup has some pretty great ideas about how to work the AU episode. Hopefully Terri got somewhere close to that. I think the best case scenario is a Still type episode (one of my favorites of the series, and a perfect end to the series as well) with snippets interspersed. That might actually turn out to be a really nice episode - and Terri does the romance stuff better than AWM, anyway (he actually said as much in Austin). I'm sure they'll be some kind of case, but hopefully it will be regulated to the background.

My question is if ABC is going to start promoting it as the wedding episode? When they did the wedding on Bon..., I mean the other show, the leads were promoting the shit out of it (and together! How novel!) from when they filmed it till it aired. I doubt we'll see anything close to that for this show, but I think it would really rally the base if they did something. They might really need it after tonight (I suspect).

Any idea what month it will air? I'm sure it's in November somewhere.

verdana haha. Just hearing that news makes me want to drink coffee. Or maybe tea. ;)

• Love 1

In Texas we just call them ranches.

You know we won't see any honeymoon scenes - this is still a MilMarBowMann production. I'd just be glad if we get a wedding that's more than five minutes. I have doubts that Jim will be in attendance, however logical it may be. Even tho the actor that plays him is "friends" with MilMar, it still seems pretty remote. I'm sure he's cursing the day he ever met them. And maybe it was because After Hours was the first episode I watched live (and the start of an obsession), but I was really interested in where the would take the relationship between Jim and Martha. I thought they had good chemistry and Susan obviously has fun playing the flirtation. At this point I'd rather watch Martha than Castle. Her backstory seems a hell of a lot more interesting, to me at least.

Please, no Molly. I don't want to watch Molly in conflict with Castle or Beckett or Martha or with her video blog. I want her to go to college like they promised and live in the damn dorm they moved her into in 5x03. The worst possible scenario is minimal Caskett, BadAssBexs, Moody Alexis, Rick and Alexis "solving" mysteries, and lots of Tory.

Even worse is that the prop screen had her Vegas marriage happen in March '97 so she would be 17 and still in high school. So Rebel!Becks graduated hs really early to be at Stanford, meet Rogan, a drive thru wedding in Vegas and this pre-law student didn't think it was real? There was no date of when Nebula 9 aired so it could possibly fit in spring '97 or fall of '98. Then she had time to model back home for the summer in '97 or '98 depending if you gonna go with Inventing The Girl or Dressed To Kill show canon. Then there was that missed prom for poetry thing she mention so that makes no sense since they never establish her hs graduation yr in her jumbled hs/college history. She sure was busy. Apparently math and continuity is just as hard as to juggle multiple storylines in 1 ep for them. How they don't have a show bible with a timeline of events for each character so the prop department is on the same page baffles me..

Was the cover of the magazine thing supposed to be January 98 or 99?  It makes sense if she finished HS in 1997 (when she's 17), was still kind of rebellious and skipped her prom, then modeled that summer, turned down the cover for January 1998, then left for Stanford in the fall.  In her first semester she gets into Nebula 9 and turns 18 that November.  Then at some point she meets Rogan and goes on a weekend trip to Vegas.  I don't really think that's super-busy or contradictory in it of itself.  

If the cover was 1999, that contradicts the info we got from her back in season 2 about modeling when she was 17.  And the prop people getting the wrong date was a big mistake.  But the narrative in general makes sense.

I think that's just his way of blowing off the question, because the real answer is that he's too lazy.  I remember last year they posted a message from "Richard Castle" on his official site about how he was still inspired by Kate even if they weren't working together, which I thought was really sweet.  I like the references to the writer/muse relationship too.

Plus, since they're only shooting her hand, they obviously don't need it to be Stana to get that insert shot.

But they would need a wedding ring on her hand, so it's evidence either way.

But they would need a wedding ring on her hand, so it's evidence either way.

Except the inserts were for 703 if you saw the interviewer holding up the call sheet...

Not to say SK's scene she was filming was for 703, that was for 707 since it indicated Alrick Riley as the director.

Edited by Nadine

Ha!

For fans...no I guess it's not. But there is nothing more obnoxious than hearing from an agent "Nathan has 97439874 million twitter followers so he deserves 500K an episode" Or Stana trends on twitter all the time you should pay for her production company.

(that's didn't happen but it's happened for others and it makes me want to vomit)

--

I want to be clear while I am much more forgiving when it comes to story, I am not usually ever forgiving when it comes to the actors. Their personally lives yes. i.e. I don't give a hoot if Nathan and Stana don't acknowledge each other.

But as far as the stuff actors ask the studio for and their bullshit schedules I'm completely full of hate. 

Elysium One time gave a list of Actors that were pleasant to work with versus Actors that were not.

I have no such good list. But that's because I am not dealing with how they are on set, to the crew, to their fans. When it comes to the business side they are all satan.

Hahaha. Holy shit, girl, you're on fire today! True that I just had to deal with them on set and not deal with the contracts/money crap. I can't even begin to imagine the incredible fuckery you have to deal with.

And I was wondering why you never sent me back your Nice Actor list! ;0

At the end of the day All Actors Are Douches. I think that's written on the pyramids or something.

Lol I really don't know. I call them that cause I grew up watching Hey Dude so it's my go to word for them. I know my local one is called the Flying W Ranch but it's gonna be rebuilt cause of the Waldo Canyon fire burned it to the ground 2 yrs ago. I did go to some western style show at the Grand Canyon North Rim this summer. They pick you up at the lodge with a tram that looks like a train, drop you up behind the gas station near the campground, you stand in line for a bbq buffet, and then watch a couple sing country & the Eagles songs in a tent. I know there is another ranch near Glenwood Springs where you can camp, ride horses, mountain biking, hiking, go off roading on the property and they do wagon rides for bbqs.

Oh TNT is doing their wacky ep out of order so they can shove in some s6. Looks like today had a few of s4 to the 1st 3 eps of s6. In a couple more days Murder He Wrote will be followed by Number One Fan. By the time they get to FBFW it's gonna be jarring to go from that to Flowers and Nanny McDead lol.

So we know for sure they're married. What episode were they shooting during that (really, really annoying) interview? Is it 7x07 or something sooner?

As fas as contracts are concerned, I think NF is playing it smart by hedging his bets. I think he does have other projects (anything with Wedon) that he'd like to focus on and maybe take a break from 22-24 episodic television to go into cable or perhaps getting a secondary/tertiary role on a Marvel film. halwideman could speak to this better than I, but I imagine he'll want to negotiate for more time off to do other projects, more time off in general, and of course more $$. This isn't the TBBT, so he should probably keep his demands within reason. As halw has said before, I think he's got one more year left in him. I just hope the show doesn't go into a free fall of crap while the actors just show up for the dough.

Not necessarily. Could be the stunt woman's wedding band that she forgot to remove.

That's just crazy incompetence though, isn't it?  Considering this is a show where the marital status of the couple is kind of a big deal.?

Which doesn't make it impossible, of course.  Incompetence surrounds us all (or at least it surrounds me at my office, so I assume the same is true elsewhere).

At the end of the day All Actors Are Douches.

So, I am sure it is hard to deal with actors with crazy demands, but don't the networks also try and keep all the profits for themselves? People should get what they can from the corporations they work for.  Share the wealth.

Edited by KaveDweller

If the cover was 1999, that contradicts the info we got from her back in season 2 about modeling when she was 17. And the prop people getting the wrong date was a big mistake. But the narrative in general makes sense.

Pretty sure it was Jan '99 cause lots of posters thought it was strange that why would Matilda be talking about a cover the same month and yr that Joanna was murdered in. Beckett could've graduated in '97 or '98 since she has a fall birthday. I know many of us got held back since that policy of needing to be 5 yrs old before starting kindergarten became popular. If Beckett graduated in '97 the timeline could make sense but if she graduated in '98 then Rogan wouldn't make sense.

So we know for sure they're married. What episode were they shooting during that (really, really annoying) interview? Is it 7x07 or something sooner?

Ikr? He was so annoying and hyper. I think the website was somewhere in Louisiana. It looks they're filming 7x07 on the soundstages since ranch scenes were end of last week.

Edited by turnitwayup

Pretty sure it was Jan '99 cause lots of posters thought it was strange that why would Matilda be talking about a cover the same month and yr that Joanna was murdered in. Beckett could've graduated in '97 or '98 since she has a fall birthday. I know many of us got held back since that policy of needing to be 5 yrs old before starting kindergarten became popular. If Beckett graduated in '97 the timeline could make sense but if she graduated in '98 then Rogan wouldn't make sense.

I guess it could have been the 1999 cover if she modeled the summer of 97, and then was asked to model again the next summer but decided not to? It seems unrealistic that she would be remembered enough to be asked out though.

That's just crazy incompetence though, isn't it?  Considering this is a show where the marital status of the couple is kind of a big deal.?

Eh, every show has goofs, great and small. I'm sure production is hectic. Things can go unchecked on occasion...

Yeah my opinion is that they want it to get out. Or someone really fucked up. Because shows go to great lengths to keep things like that on lock down.

Maybe it's some sort of ploy to keep all the people that threatened to quit watching, watching. I mean, I never thought that Castle and Beckett wouldn't get married, but the finale really killed a lot of people's expectations for the show, so this is a bit of goodwill. Like a "keep watching, promise they get married!!!" from tptb.

Press releases should go here or in the media thread ? They are not on the ABC medanet site yet though.

“Montreal” – While the team investigates the murder of a toy company CEO, Castle uncovers a lead to his mysterious disappearance, launching him into a dangerous investigation of his own, on “Castle,” MONDAY, OCTOBER 6 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

“Castle” stars Nathan Fillion as Richard Castle, Stana Katic as NYPD Detective Kate Beckett, Susan Sullivan as Martha Rodgers, Molly Quinn as Alexis Castle, Penny Johnson Jerald as NYPD Captain Victoria Gates, Tamala Jones as Medical Examiner Lanie Parish, Jon Huertas as NYPD Detective Javier Esposito, and Seamus Dever as NYPD Detective Kevin Ryan.

Guest Cast: Matt Letscher as Jenkins, Maya Stojan as Tory Ellis, Lilli Birdsell as Samantha Williger, Gina Ravera as Marsha Stoller, and Brian Tichnell as Matt Monroe.

“Montreal” was written by Andrew W. Marlowe and directed by Alrick Riley.

and for 7.03

“Clear & Present Danger” – When a pool shark is murdered by an unseen force, Castle and Becket uncover evidence that the killer may have paranormal powers. Meanwhile, Castle and Beckett attempt to get their lives back to normal following his disappearance, on “Castle,” MONDAY, OCTOBER 13 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

“Castle” stars Nathan Fillion as Richard Castle, Stana Katic as NYPD Detective Kate Beckett, Susan Sullivan as Martha Rodgers, Molly Quinn as Alexis Castle, Penny Johnson Jerald as NYPD Captain Victoria Gates, Tamala Jones as Medical Examiner Lanie Parish, Jon Huertas as NYPD Detective Javier Esposito, and Seamus Dever as NYPD Detective Kevin Ryan.

Guest Cast: Nick McCallum as William Fairwick, Tate Ellington as Henry Wright, Tom Wright as Fats Shepherd, Maya Stojan as Tory Ellis, Chad Michael Collins as Tom Talmadge.

“Clear & Present Danger” was written by Chad Gomez Creasey & Dara Resnik Creasey and directed by Kate Woods.

Edited by cappuccino