Type keyword(s) to search

Stephen Colbert Throws The World's Most Patriotic Yard Sale

Is it weird that I feel horrified by the idea of all of that stuff being sold?  It's like a part of history, it should be in a museum.  Or at the very least clogging up Stephen's own garage.

(But seriously, I feel sad for him selling all his memorabilia (and awards!!).  He earned that, he spent 9 years there.  Selling his eagle?!)

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1

I wonder if he had the same experience after his mother died, that I did after my MIL did. We cleaned out a basement full of unopened presents and unappreciated stuff...the usual basement accumulation. It was just heartbreaking but it has brought me to the realization that we keep things out of inertia or guilt, but they bring you no pleasure. Since then I've been much more mindful of what I acquire and much less sentimental about hanging on to many things. 

Stephen probably thought about that and said "why am I keeping this? Someone else will enjoy it, but it's just stuff in the end"

• Love 4

I wonder if he had the same experience after his mother died, that I did after my MIL did. We cleaned out a basement full of unopened presents and unappreciated stuff...the usual basement accumulation. It was just heartbreaking but it has brought me to the realization that we keep things out of inertia or guilt, but they bring you no pleasure. Since then I've been much more mindful of what I acquire and much less sentimental about hanging on to many things. 

Stephen probably thought about that and said "why am I keeping this? Someone else will enjoy it, but it's just stuff in the end"

On an intellectual level I understand that -- I avoid accumulating things to begin -- but it still makes me sad.  It's not so much the random props -- like Butt Spray or the cigarettes -- it's the personal items like the awards and specific memorabilia that are a physical representation of this period of his life and what it meant to him and The Nation. Also that the set is not just gone but scattered to the four corners makes me sad.  Seriously, why couldn't it be an exhibit somewhere?

• Love 2

I loved it. My mom likes to sell things at a local flea market and I work the booth with her. That was a perfect representation of people who visit garage/yard sales and flea markets. My favorites were the woman who didn't want Stephen to cut the dick off the statue and the baby who threw Stephen's speech out of the stroller. There's something so liberating about pitching stuff. It can be very therapeutic when you are preparing for a major life change.

• Love 2