Type keyword(s) to search

Duplass Brothers: Moving up to the big leagues?

From the promos HBO is now running, looks like this show will focus more on the relationships of the characters, not gross-out frat-boy humor of The League or going for the shock value.

Presumably Duplass' character will be more the focus of the show than in The League, which is more of an ensemble piece, or his irregular appearances on The Mindy Project.

Can he carry the show or will there be more manic characters for him to play off of?

Mumblecore is super low budget filmmaking, with mundane subject matter (not "genre" like sci-fi or horror). The Duplass brothers have made quite a few films in the mumblecore genre, so since they're behind this show and it otherwise has mumblecore-ish style, makes sense to me.

I guess it fits in some ways. This show doesn't appear to have a budget significantly lower than any other HBO comedy--production values seem pretty comparable to me. So I don't see that the show belongs in a special genre by that measure. It does deal with the mundane problems of people who aren't extraordinary, but I've also seen that in some other television comedies and dramas that I don't think were called mumblecore. The lead couple is kind of reserved, quiet, repressed, and depressed--is that part of the mumblecore thing? (Just guessing from the "mumble" part of mumblecore, which seems to suggest characters who mumble a lot.) So I can see how the label would fit there. Anyway, thanks, arc.