Type keyword(s) to search

Now Where Did I Put That? - The Dropped Threads Thread

MarkHB

This is a place for us to keep track of ideas and stories that have been introduced over the years but not referenced for a long time, so we can see how many the writers come back to before the end of S5.

The first thing I thought of, and the thing that made me think to start this thread, was the "Love Conquers All" box with the Crocker name in secret writing.  At one time, it seemed there were going to be physical clues to the mystery of Haven: the box, the wooden puzzle of the town.  In general that seems to have fallen by the wayside, but the box in particular sticks with me.  Granted, we saw the box before the reveal of Duke's Trouble, but it still seemed like it should mean more.

• Love 2

Duke buried the box at his father's graveside in "Sins of the Fathers."

In "The Hand You're Dealt," Vanessa Stanley predicted that Duke will die at the hand of someone with a Guard tattoo—the same person who killed the Colorado Kid. Will that be endgame?

I had forgotten about him burying the box.  So it served what purpose... to glow in the dark and tell us all that there was Something Special about the Crockers?  There must not be any trustworthy self-storage facilities in Southeast Nova Scotia, so they get rid of their props as fast as possible.

• Love 1

Duke buried the large box with the weapons, not sure what he did with the smaller one, the one with the saying.

So it served what purpose... to glow in the dark and tell us all that there was Something Special about the Crockers?

The small box guided him to the larger box with the weapons which led to the activation of his Trouble. I always thought that at some point we will see Duke digging up that box of weapons again, taking up his family's role even though he had been very much against it.

He has used his Trouble without needing them so I wonder why they were important. It's unclear how his Trouble was activated though, was it Dwight cutting him with one of those knives or emotional stuff to do with his father?

In "The Hand You're Dealt," Vanessa Stanley predicted that Duke will die at the hand of someone with a Guard tattoo—the same person who killed the Colorado Kid. Will that be endgame?

From the most recent episode, and Vince's vision, it does seem to be hinting at what happened to the Colorado Kid perhaps. The hand approaching that Native American man's face and the black smoke afterwards. It looked like the life was sucked right out of him.

Other dropped threads are why Lucy gave 8 year old Duke her necklace and why she was holding his hand on the beach that day.

The Colorado Kid (the circumstances of his adoption, how he died and where he is now)

Max Hansen (why he felt Dave owed him, why the Chief thought he killed James, who his friends in Haven are,and tied to that why Nathan seems to not remember his early childhood.

Nathan's greatest fear and Nathan's history in general.

• Love 1
In "The Hand You're Dealt," Vanessa Stanley predicted that Duke will die at the hand of someone with a Guard tattoo—the same person who killed the Colorado Kid.

Technically, she said that the last thing he saw before he died would be an arm with the Guard tattoo. She didn't specify that the arm had anything to do with his death. It was Duke who interpreted it as a tattooed man killing him. She saw the same thing with the Colorado Kid. We know the tattoo was the last thing he saw, but we don't know if it was someone who killed him or someone who was trying to help him before he died. (I still kind of want it to turn out to be Duke dying of old age, seeing Nathan's arm reaching over to pat him on the head in farewell.)

To add to the Max Hansen list, what were the circumstances of Nathan's adoption, and does it really matter to the plot? They haven't forgotten it, since Nathan was Nathan Hansen in the Haven without Troubles, but we don't know if it means anything.

What's the deal with the ring that Nathan found in the Chief's rubble that he's still wearing on a chain around his neck? That's a long time to consistently use a prop without doing anything with it.

What do Lucy's necklace and Sarah's ring mean?

What's up with the box of Chief rocks Vince had dug up with the idea that they needed the Chief because Audrey was different this time? They showed the rocks quivering when Nathan picked up the Chief's badge. It sounded like Vince and Dave thought the Chief could be revived.

What did Lucy really learn about how to end the Troubles for good, and how did she learn it?

Did Real Audrey ever get her memories back? Why were her memories wiped? Was she the target, or was that message that sent her to the Barn meant for our Audrey?

Did Julia Carr's mysteriously appearing and disappearing Guard "tattoo" have anything to do with Vince's? Does that mean she's possibly a Teagues?

What, exactly, are the Gull's operating hours that sometimes have it open and full of people at lunch and sometimes utterly deserted in the middle of the day?

• Love 2

Did Real Audrey ever get her memories back? Why were her memories wiped? Was she the target, or was that message that sent her to the Barn meant for our Audrey?

I would like to know her fate too. They seem to have forgotten she exists. Since the Troubles are still active, I'd think she is still erased and Haven Lucy apparently told real Lucy that if 'they' knew they had contact she would be erased.

Simon Crocker  - his death, why he wanted to kill Lucy, why he wants Duke to kill Audrey, why Audrey in her different incarnations always kills a Crocker, who was torn out of the picture of Sarah and Dave

What Vince and Dave meant in season 3 when they talked about whose turn it was to kill.

And the overall absence of mothers (what happened to Duke's mother? More about Nathan's mother, Audrey/Mara's mother (if that applies to her)

Who is Agent Howard? and why does Mara also call him Agent Howard when she probably knows his real name?

Why is Dave's greatest fear Sarah

What is Vince's power/Trouble that seemed to frighten Max Hansen so much

Edited by BlueJay81
  • Love 1

I suspect that the rings, the necklace, and the small box are connected. It looks like nothing so much as a jewelry box.

At one time, it seemed there were going to be physical clues to the mystery of Haven: the box, the wooden puzzle of the town.

The puzzle was explained in-episode as something that was created by a particular person who wanted revenge on the town. I don't think it was ever meant as a clue to something larger.

Did Julia Carr's mysteriously appearing and disappearing Guard "tattoo" have anything to do with Vince's? Does that mean she's possibly a Teagues?

I would say it's more likely that the Carrs are another of the founding families. If they bring Julia back and do something interesting with that then rock on, but for my part I'm happy for her to stay gone forever.

My big question that's related to Julia is wanting to know why her tattoo is a variant design. We've seen two versions of the Guard symbol -- the softer one on Julia's shoulder also appears outside the Coogan house in Colorado -- and nobody has acknowledged this yet in-universe.

What, exactly, are the Gull's operating hours that sometimes have it open and full of people at lunch and sometimes utterly deserted in the middle of the day?

It's not uncommon for smaller restaurants to close up after the lunch rush and not reopen until dinner hours. I'd also consider it plausible that the Gull is only open all day on weekends, and the rest of the week it's an evenings-only business.

And the overall absence of mothers (what happened to Duke's mother? More about Nathan's mother, Audrey/Mara's mother (if that applies to her)

As much as "No, seriously, tell me about Duke's mother" is one of my favorite topics of speculation, I think she and Nathan's mother are casualties of TV drama writers' tendency to dismiss male characters' mothers as nonsignificant if the father exists.

Who is Agent Howard? and why does Mara also call him Agent Howard when she probably knows his real name?

I don't assume Mara knows his 'real' name. But anything she might say about him is information the others don't have and might be able to use to find out more, which is not something she's inclined to give them.

Why is Dave's greatest fear Sarah

She entrusted her child to him, and now we find out that Dave thinks he killed him. That may or may not be all of it, but I have no doubt it's at least part of the reason.

The puzzle was explained in-episode as something that was created by a particular person who wanted revenge on the town. I don't think it was ever meant as a clue to something larger.

They did hint at the fact that Ian probably had help getting all the puzzle pieces back and that someone else may have a stake in revenge on the town. The Rev didn't want to destroy Haven, just for the Troubled to turn to God or something (S2 E1) and the Guard is there to protect it and the Troubled so who would want to destroy Haven?

Edited by BlueJay81

I always assumed that the Chief's ring was just Nathan wearing his father's wedding ring as a remembrance.

But, one other thing that I remembered: we were told that everything in the opening titles had a significance. I want to know what they all mean, especially the creepy dancing people in the windows.

• Love 2

I always assumed that the Chief's ring was just Nathan wearing his father's wedding ring as a remembrance.

But, one other thing that I remembered: we were told that everything in the opening titles had a significance. I want to know what they all mean, especially the creepy dancing people in the windows.

Someone on the old TWOP forum said the 'creepy people' are mermaids. I would like to know the significance of the dog and the blond child.

He probably thinks that's what he's doing, but it's the same ring Vince had from Sarah.

Didn't Vince give Sarah's ring to Audrey and Nathan wears the one he got from the Chief? I thought there were 2 rings.

• Love 1

Did we ever find out why Nathan is the 4th member of the quartet who opened the portal in the lighthouse? Mara, Jennifer and Dave are/were all from Somewhere Else. Why was Nathan included?

Sorry, that wasn't Nathan, that was William. Not awake yet, stayed up too late watching football.