Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E14: Creature Carnage

I adore sloths, but they are, you know, SLOW. The maximum speed of a three-toed sloth (yes, I just looked it up in Walker's Mammals) is six and a half feet a minute.  How fucking long would it take a sloth, no matter how big, to rampage through a city? 

I really loved Dina's and was surprised how much I ended up liking Cig's.  I did like the judges' attempt to defend George's squid for its nostalgia value, but please - the wrinkly material on the back and the legs alone were just comically bad.

Well, to be fair, a 3-toed sloth is also only 2 feet long and moves 6.5 feet per minute. That's really slow... buuuut a 1,000 foot sloth would move about 37 miles an hour (yep, I did the math), which is plenty fast enough to work through a city one block at a time, wreaking sloth-like devastation and havoc in your wake. :)

Agreed, the head sculpt for George was decent (I thought) but the crinkly costume was like those super cheap ones that come in bags, as a stinky vinyl top and cheap plastic mask. Hm... the more I think of it, the worse I remember George's costume this week.

Any combination of those four for the final three would have been fine by me, so it's hard to be too disappointed.

There are 4 possible combinations of final 3- two of which would exclude either Dina or Cig.  So, I would not have been fine with that. :)

• Love 2

There are 4 possible combinations of final 3- two of which would exclude either Dina or Cig.  So, I would not have been fine with that. :)

You're right of course, and I was perhaps a bit too hyperbolic, but honestly, the only person of the four that I would definitely have wanted to have move forward was Dina.

I was sure we'd see Cig moving forward, but honestly, even though he's really done nothing specific that I can point to to raise my ire, there's something about him that I find incredibly annoying.  I can see that he's turned in some nice makeups, but some of the ones that have gotten him praise, like the horror movie contest really didn't impress me as much as they apparently impressed the judges.  I won't be disappointed per se if he wins, but I'd much rather see Dina take the brass ring.

I guarantee that George is going to be Cig's first pick for his team.

I know this is nitpicky, but here goes...they seemed to go to a lot of trouble with those newspapers, even writing the stories to go with the headlines, yet no one took a minute to look up what the Kremlin looks like. Because the headline said that a yeti crab crushed the Kremlin, and the picture on the front page was a yeti crab crushing St Basil's Cathedral, which is in Red Square, and is next to the Kremlin, but is definitely not part of the Kremlin. The reason this bothered me is a bit convoluted. In the challenge description, Mackenzie made a big deal about how giant monster creatures of the past are often associated with famous landmarks, so here I was thinking, how the heck are they going to incorporate these landmarks into their makeups? (the answer of course being pretty much that they weren't). Then I saw the picture of the crab crushing St. Basil's and I was thinking - well that's the easiest one! Whoever gets that can incorporate those famously tiled onion domes into their makeup design! And *then* I thought - wait, that's not the Kremlin. :(

I agree with others who've said that there was basically a top two and then a third because there had to be. Usually there is some discussion about the importance of the actor being able to act in the makeup. In the case of the sloth, when the model was trying to sell it by waving his arms around like he was attacking the buildings, you could see that the only thing he could do with those claws was claw his own tummy because they were so long and angled the way they were. Not very intimidating.

Those were the very best fake bulbous plastic eyes I have ever seen on this show, on Dina's mantis.

• Love 1

The newspaper pictures only showed the destroyed buildings, they didn't show any of the monsters that caused the destruction.  I imagine the reason for that was that the artists were supposed to create the monsters themselves, not copy the monster in a picture created by production.  So, the news paper from Russia did not have a picture of a Yeti crab.

The newspaper pictures only showed the destroyed buildings, they didn't show any of the monsters that caused the destruction.  I imagine the reason for that was that the artists were supposed to create the monsters themselves, not copy the monster in a picture created by production.  So, the news paper from Russia did not have a picture of a Yeti crab.

Oops - you are right. The newspaper did not show the crab. However, the crab was not really my concern, nor was it central to the point I was making. The issue I had was that the headline said the Kremlin was crushed, and the picture was of St. Basil's, not the Kremlin.

This was an odd challenge to have right before the finale. I was nervous about how things would shake out. I'm glad we shed George before the finale though I think his squid might have been better than Drew's sloth. I think a lot of the burns on the sloth didn't work and he didn't really bulk up the body enough. Dina's was fantastic as usual.

The issue I had was that the headline said the Kremlin was crushed, and the picture was of St. Basil's, not the Kremlin.

If the Kremlin was crushed you wouldn't see it in the picture, but you would see nearby landmarks. There were pictures of NYC after the twin towers fell that were like that.

• Love 2

If the Kremlin was crushed you wouldn't see it in the picture, but you would see nearby landmarks. There were pictures of NYC after the twin towers fell that were like that.

I know what you mean about the twin towers, but most of those pics showed the absence of the twin towers by showing where it was (even if it stood no longer) - i.e. they showed other buildings as context for the twin towers site. This picture had St. Basil's partially crushed, right dead center.

I think it is more likely that @Jesse called it correctly - they thought the picture they used was the Kremlin because they googled kremlin and St. Basil's figured prominently in the results. It just goes to show that when enough people are mistaken, even google will back them up.

Even more apparently, I was not in the majority in being troubled by this. But I stand by my feeling that it was troublesome, darnit! And wrong! And a common mistake but still a mistake!! lol I swear I'm done now.

• Love 1