Type keyword(s) to search

Time to Synchronize the Watches

• Start Topic

Reading all the comments about watches in the No Sanctuary episode thread left me confused and curious. As LilySilver said, what does it mean? So I thought I'd start a thread to track the time pieces; their history, meaning, where they are turning up,  who's giving them to who, etc. And to record new sightings of new or familiar time pieces. Because it does seem to be a "thing" on the show. Hmmm.
Here's what we have so far. (I don't know how many times we're allowed to edit a post but I'll try to edit this one with corrected/new info as it is provided.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Herschel's Pocket Watch
HerschelsWatch.jpg

Owners
1) Herchel's Grandfather
2) Herschel  [received as gift from Grandfather]
3) Glen  [received as gift from Herschel]
4) Alex the Termite [stolen from Glen]
?) Current owner/whereabouts unknown but would seem Rick or Maggie has it since they were seen using the chain from it inside the boxcar at Terminus.

Plot Points/Prominant Scenes:
1) Episode "Judge, Jury, Executioner" - Herschel gives it to Glen as a token of his approval. Herschel's watch came from the old country and had once belonged to his father too. When he gave it to Glen he told the story because handing watches down from father to son is a tradition, a "thang" signifying the reaching of adulthood, or in Glen's case, being accepted by Herschel as a son, as someone who connected him to his daughter. An intended one. Herschel included in the story that he had pawned it to pay for a night of drinking that he no longer remembered. His wife had bought it back. Those were the days!
2) Episode ??? - At the prison Glen brought it out when asking Herschel for his blessing to marry Maggie.
3) Episode "A" - Ric somehow spots it in Alex's pocket at Terminus and all hell breaks loose.
4) Episode "No Sanctuary" - Rick was using its chain to saw a dagger of wood away from the structure of the boxcar. He used the dagger to free himself in the slaughter room and stab one of the butchers. Just in the nick of time, I might add. After Rick was taken from the boxcar, Maggie was shown using the chain to saw off more wood pieces.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick's Wrist-Watch:
RicksWatch.jpg

Owners
1) Rick
2) Sam [received as a loan from Rick]
    *Sam was the hippy kid Rick and Carol encountered on a supply run. He later turned up in Terminus and was slaughtered. 
3) Carol [took it off of the souvenir table in Terminus]

4) Rick [returned to him by Carol]

1) Episode ??? - Rick tells Sam & Ana to meet him and Carol in two hours so gives Sam his watch to keep track of the time. 
2) Episode "No Sanctuary" - Carol sees it on the table in Terminus and picks it up.

3) Episode "Strangers" - Carol returns the watch to Rick.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Carol's Wrist-Watch:
CarolsWatch.png

Owners:
1) Ed
2) Carol [received as a gift from Ed]
3) Rick [received as a gift from Carol]
?) Current owner/whereabouts unknown 

1) Episode ??? - Carol gives it to Rick because Rick had given his to Sam. 
2) Episode ??? - Rick places the watch on the nightstand next to the bed he rests on, in the house where we meet Joe's gang. He picks it up before diving under the bed to hide. 

3) Episode "Strangers" - Rick tries to give it back to Carol but she doesn't want it. Assuming then that either Rick is still in possession of it or it is abandoned at the church. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Random Time Things in No Particular Order:

1) Episode "A" - Rick asks Herschel what time it is and Herschel responds its always right now

2) Episode ??? - The first watch discussion round the campfire ... followed many shots of Dale fussing with his watch. Someone asked Dale why he always was handling it and noting how meticulously he wound it every day, how silly it seemed in their days without time. Dale went into a long philosophical answer to the effect of "it signifies all that once was, now that we're in the walker world"

DalesWatch.png
(I got this pic of Dale's watch from doing an image search for it but I notice it doesn't seem to have a winding-knob so wondering if it's accurate?)

3) Episode ??? - There was a clock in Rick's hospital room that had stopped. Rick noticed it.

4) Episode ??? - The governor set a meeting time of noon for Rick to turn over Michonne. At the time I thought it was the first time anyone had actually set a time for anything.

*** A pocket watch was featured in the opening credits for a season or two.

*** Season 2's theme song had to have been Pink Floyd's Time.

*** Throughout the series Herschel repeatedly stated that they were alternately running out of time, that this is the time, or that the test of time would prove.

Edited by RainOnToosdays
  • Love 4

Reading all the comments about watches in the No Sanctuary episode thread left me confused and curious. As LilySilver said, what does it mean? So I thought I'd start a thread to track the time pieces; their history, meaning, where they are turning up,  who's giving them to who, etc. And to record new sightings of new or familiar time pieces. Because it does seem to be a "thing" on the show. Hmmm.

Here's what I have to get started. (I don't know how many times we're allowed to edit a post but I'll try to edit this one with corrected/new info as it is provided.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Herschel's Pocket Watch

HerschelsWatch.jpg

Owners

1) Herchel's Grandfather

2) Herschel  [received as gift from Grandfather]

3) Glen  [received as gift from Herschel]

4) Alex the Termite [stolen from Glen]

?) Current owner/whereabouts unknown

1) Episode ??? - While sitting around a campfire, CDB asks Herschel to tell them about it and he tells them ...? <<<I think you're thinking of when DALE was asked what time it is and everyone starts teasing him about still wearing a watch

2) Episode ??? - Herschel gives it to Glen as a token of his approval. 

3) Episode "A" - Ric somehow spots it in Alex's pocket at Terminus and all hell breaks loose. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick's Wrist-Watch:

RicksWatch.jpg

Owners

1) Rick

2) Sam [received as a gift from Rick]

*Sam was the hippy kid Rick and Carol encountered on a supply run. He later turned up in Terminus and was slaughtered. 

3) Carol [took it off of the souvenir table in terminus]

1) Episode ??? - Rick gives it to hippy-Sam because ....????<<<Rick told hippy Sam and hippy Ana to meet him and Carol in two hours, gives Sam the watch to keep time

2) Episode ??? - Rick sets it on the nightstand of the house he was resting in when Joe's gang showed up <<< he couldn't have done that since at that point he no longer had the watch, Sam did. He must have put Carol's there

3) Episode "No Sanctuary" - Carol sees it on the table in Terminus and picks it up.

Carol's Wrist-Watch:

CarolsWatch.png

Owners:

1) Ed

2) Carol [received as a gift from Ed]

3) Rick [received as a gift from Carol]

?) Current owner/whereabouts unknown though possibly last seen on the souvenir table in Terminus?

1) Episode ??? - Carol gives it to Rick because?? <<<Rick had given his to Sam and at that point Sam was missing, presumed dead

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Random Time Things:

1) Episode ??? - Farmer Rick wakes Carl up at the prison and there is some focus on what time it is and why it does or doesn't matter? I think. <<<Rick asks Herschel what time it is and Herschel responds its always right now

• Love 1

People who should have been wearing a watch but haven't:

• Abraham Ford -- military
  • Eugene Porter -- the "Sine-tist"
  • Dr. Jenner
  • Sasha -- firefighter

Just thinking that because of their occupations, these people would normally be wearing a wristwatch, and should have had it since the SHTF. I mean if Carol the unemployed housewife had one...

• Love 3

I have noticed the watch Thang. A pocket watch was featured in the opening credits for a season or two.

I have read that time is a thing of this world, but that the next world, though all around us, is free of it.....

Time is something people have measured for centuries.

Time is something that gives measure to timeless days.

Watches are traditionally the only jewelry that men wear, the only personal item that can actually stand the test of time!(not the socks!) they are prized, passed on through generations. They have been popular longer than wedding rings.

Here are my additions to the list:

There was a clock in Rick's hospital room that had stopped. Rick noticed it. That is the first time piece I remember having attention given to it in the series.

The first watch discussion round the campfire was not about Herschel's watch. It followed many shots of Dale fussing with his watch. It was actually Andrea asking Dale why he always was handling it and noting how meticulously he wound it every day, how silly it seemed in their days without time. Dale went into a long philosophical answer to the effect of "it signifies all that once was, now that we're in the walker world"

Herschel'swatch came from the old country and had once belonged to his father too. When he gave it to Glen he told the story because handing watches down from father to son is a tradition, a "thang" signifying the reaching of adulthood, or in Glen's case, being accepted by Herschel as a son, as someone who connected him to his daughter. An intended one.

Herschel included in the story that he had pawned it to pay for a night of drinking that he no longer remembered. His wife had bought it back. Those were the days!

Later when at the prison Glen brought it out when asking Herschel for his blessing to marry Maggie.

Rick was using the chain to saw a dagger of wood away from the structure of the boxcar. He used the dagger to free himself in the slaughter room and stab one of the butchers. Just in the nick of time, I might add.

Rick's watch was not gifted so much as loaned to Sam so that he would know when two hours had passed and would meet back with Rick. Of course, they did meet again AND Rick's watch was then retrieved! Rick has not given his watch to Carl yet......

Throughout the series Herschel repeatedly stated that they were alternately running out of time, that this is the time, or that the test of time would prove.

The governor set a meeting time of noon for Rick to turn over Michonne. At the time I thought it was the first time anyone had actually set a time for anything.

Edited by Seawolff
  • Love 1

The governor set a meeting time of noon for Rick to turn over Michonne. At the time I thought it was the first time anyone had actually set a time for anything.

"All right boys; let's synchronize our sun-dials".

• Love 1

Random thoughts.  Salvador Dali made extensive use of watches in his artwork.  And the opening to the Twilight Zone (original series) had a watch in it.  Simplistic explanation: when your world's gone to shit, time don't mean a thing.  Not to be confused with: "It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)."

• Love 1

Season 2's theme song had to have been Pink Floyd's Time:

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

Edited by diebartdie

After Rick was taken from the boxcar, I believe Maggie was shown using the chain to saw off more wood pieces.

I don't think it was Andrea that asked Dale about his watch, I think it was the dad of the family that split from them when CDB went to the CDC. The dad of the girl that gave Sophia the doll.