Type keyword(s) to search

The Judge (2014)

Sake614
  • Start Topic

Has anyone seen The Judge yet? Personally I loved it, I thought the acting was stellar, and the writing superb. I laughed, I cried. I laughed AND cried. The way Robert Downey Jr, and Robert Duvall played off each other was perfect. Duvall brought the vulnerability and strength the character required and did so beautifully.

One of my favorite scenes (there were so many), was when they were picking jurors. Of course I knew which ones Hank would pick, but the way he did it was just so funny. "Who has bumper stickers on their car? What do they say?" The other priceless scene was when Sam introduced him to Carla, and later when he thought he was Carla's father. RDJ is just so good with facial expressions!

I find myself imagining how the story continues from where it left off, and have my own ideas. In my mind, after Hank goes back to Chicago to settle his affairs and divorce his wife, he returns to Carlinville, gets back together with Sam and runs for judge, sitting in his father's chair.

IMO, if the film and/or the lead actors aren't nominated for Oscars, especially Duvall, I will know once again that The Academy doesn't have a clue about quality movies.

I read today that Jack Nicholson was considered for the role and thank my lucky stars he did NOT get it. I've always considered him highly overrated, and don't believe he could have brought what Duvall did. For one thing, I don't consider Nicholson a very giving actor. When he's on screen, his scene partner might as well not even bother showing up because it's all about Jack.

• Love 3

The other priceless scene was when Sam introduced him to Carla, and later when he thought he was Carla's father. RDJ is just so good with facial expressions!

He was just so outraged that Sam slept with Glen, they completely glossed over he made out with his niece. (Which is better than daughter, but not by much)

• Love 1

Loved this film! Downey was awesome, it's so good to see him do something a little more serious. Duvall absolutely broke my heart, what a legend. The supporting cast was all great too- Vera Farmiga was earthy and cool, Dax Shepard was dorky and endearing, and Leighton Meester added some humor and spark. The whole thing felt like a throwback to an old Jimmy Stewart drama or something, I really enjoyed it and it was a good one to take my parents to see. 

• Love 2

We saw it tonight.  I loved it (I even said it reminded me of the old fashioned movies); husband thought it was hokey and cliched.  I think whoever edited this movie left in some scenes that needed to be cut (especially a scene toward the end of the trial).  But I really enjoyed it.  Yikes, Vincent D'Onofrio has not aged well.  The local attorney that the Judge initially hired reminded me so much of a young Michael York.  I want to move to the town where this was filmed - it's beautiful!

It was filmed in several locations, but I think that town is somewhere in MA. It really is beautiful but there's no way I could live in a small town. Visit, sure. But I'm a big city girl lol! They listed NY, MA and British Columbia as filming locations.

• Love 1

My only complaint is the cliche storyline of the guy coming home to hook up with his old girlfriend.  They did it in This is Where I Leave You,too.

I really liked Jeremy Strong, who played Dale.  Dax Shepard, who's married to Kristin Bell and is in the tablet commercials with her, is the young lawyer.

Ooh, something I forgot to mention.  Hank has a quote in the movie, “Everybody wants Atticus Finch till it's a dead hooker in a hot tub.”  Reference to Gergory Peck from To Kill a Mockinbird.  Robert Duval played the character of Boo Radley in that film.  He's the last surviving actor from the film.

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 1

I have a feeling I missed a number of lines.  My hearing is excellent but for some reason, a lot of what RJD said I didn't get...maybe because he was moving his head around while talking? or because he talks very fast?  I heard the first part of that line (everybody wants Atticus Finch...the second part I didn't, nor did my husband). I'm going to check out his FB page (another actor's FB page that's interesting is Tim Matheson's...lots of info' about the movie industry which I enjoy reading).

• Love 1

OMG, I FLOVE Tim Matheson. He was one of my first movie star crushes lol! Now I have to go find him. As for RJD, I probably missed many of his lines as well as those of others. Some, I just had to think about for a minute to realize what was said. I think that's why I like to watch on TV at home. The rewind button is my best friend lol!

• Love 2

Thanks for the link to that excellent article in Huffington Post.  Guess I need to go back and see this movie again - can't stop thinking about it.  Downey's wife mentions the little things that some of the actors did to make it more "real"...very effective!

• Love 1