Type keyword(s) to search

Wig Cop Thinks No One Should Be Taking Photos Of Selfie

Primetimer

Well, she had to shave her head for Guardians of the Galaxy. That's probably why. She had to wear a wig during Doctor Who as well. Hopefully, we'll see her normally gorgeous locks as the show progresses

I know there's ALWAYS joking about wigs on shows, but in this case the actress certainly had a good reason to be wearing one.

I mean I suppose it's not as good as being a chemo patient or something like that, but shaving her head for a role in the biggest blockbuster in years seems like it was a good decision on her part.

• Love 1

I haven't watched it yet, but is there a good reason she has to have an American accent, instead of just being a Scottish chick living in America?

There rarely is with American shows with International actors. It's some kind of pandering to potential fears that our culture is being subverted or some shit like that. In other words, total crap.

It makes me wonder if people watching Craig Ferguson for the first time on this Celebrity Name Game show of his are all a-feared and turned off because (gasp!) he sounds Scottish and he's on American TV now around dinner-time.

From what I can remember of pre-show interviews with thr show's creator, she (1)didn't feel that Karen's Scottish accent was all that consistent (Buh???) and (2)thought that Eliza's vapid personality and lonely struggles would be easier for Americans to identify with if Eliza was American rather than Scottish.

I know, it makes no sense to me either.

I have trouble understanding Brits and Scots so I'm cool with the Americanizing.  I think it's a satire of American young adults, too, so Eliza should be American.  

Why did she have to shave her head for Guardians?  I would not have noticed a skull cap, with all else going on with her look.  

From what I can remember of pre-show interviews with thr show's creator, she (1)didn't feel that Karen's Scottish accent was all that consistent (Buh???) and (2)thought that Eliza's vapid personality and lonely struggles would be easier for Americans to identify with if Eliza was American rather than Scottish.

I know, it makes no sense to me either.

To be fair, as stupid as the first one sounds, the second one does make a bit of sense, because she's not doing one of the standard American accents British actors try (Midwest monotone, over the top New Yawk, Southern slurry, Boston Strong overdrive), but rather some kind of melding of a Cali Valley Girl (one they do often try) but also mixed with a Paris Hilton drawl (which aren't the same thing--Paris might be horrified if you even suggested it--but that's what Karen seems to be combining to my ear).

And Paris and Valley Girl both DO seem to be shorthand for vapid.

My only clue with the "Scottish accent inconsistent" thing might be some notion that from working in England so much she's leaked in some of the evil English manner of speech. But I don't really think an American producer would even notice if that WAS true, so I don't get it at all.

I have trouble understanding Brits and Scots so I'm cool with the Americanizing.  I think it's a satire of American young adults, too, so Eliza should be American.

It's interesting, because the two countries in the world with the largest number of accents/speech patterns are the US and the UK. The Scots are actually reasonably consistent within three or four big variants, but with the rest of the Brits there are hundreds of variants. Of course the same is true in reverse. The Brits always talk about "an American accent", which is equally silly since we've likely got a hundred or more regional American accents as well (the American South alone probably has a few dozen). Edited by Kromm

Well, she had to shave her head for Guardians of the Galaxy. That's probably why. She had to wear a wig during Doctor Who as well. Hopefully, we'll see her normally gorgeous locks as the show progresses

It's also an opportunity. Not that it's a wig and that people think it's bad, but rather her shorter hair. The show didn't plan it I'm sure, but they have the perfect opportunity to telegraph "transformational move" by having Eliza get a radical hair cut at some point in the story (she probably had grown it out back to at least a pixie-cut by the time this show started filming again).

YfIaayq.jpg

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

haven't watched it yet, but is there a good reason she has to have an American accent, instead of just being a Scottish chick living in America?

There rarely is with American shows with International actors. It's some kind of pandering to potential fears that our culture is being subverted or some shit like that. In other words, total crap.

I doubt that much thought was put into it. If that really were the prevailing attitude in Hollywood, producers simply wouldn't cast anyone who wasn't American. I'm pretty sure it was more a matter of being too lazy to even truly consider changing the character to fit the actor.

Edited by reggiejax