Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: Gender Bender

Scully's coat is entirely too long in this episode.

Also, did they think of making little Scully the action hero?

After watching Ghost in the Machine and now this, it's her running around waving her gun a lot. Of course, there is also the necking with Brother Andrew and subsequent throwing up.

Loved the scene when Mulder throws the map in the air and Scully catches it. I wonder if that was scripted.

The weather was atrocious, there they were, harvesting.....

Young Krycek as Michael who almost died.

I got distracted when I rewatched this (as usual) so I've not much to say. It's an alright episode but when you've seen it enough times it's difficult to stay engaged.

One thing I wondered in the beginning about Mulder connecting the murders to the alien Mormons is that they find the clay stuff at the crime scene (under the victims fingernails, I think). How did it get there? Was the clay necessary for Marty to switch gender? So he brought a bag of clay with him when he left the group? I've always assumed it was used for revival/regeneration purposes and that the gender bending was just something they could naturally do and also that it was done to the dead folk (if they felt like switching genders) since we see Marty transform without it. I've probably just forgotten since I haven't paid close attention to the details of this episode through the last 15 years of rewatches.

Edited by joelene

This episode is super bizarre, even for X-Files. I really like episodes where there's a "small town with a big secret" theme. I grew up in a small town with many isolated farmhouses, and I always wondered who lived in them. I could imagine something creepy like this happening.

Were they aliens? Humans who had stumbled upon some sort of elixir?  

I like that theme too. They never say they're aliens but it can be assumed when the whole community vanishes so quickly and leave behind those big crop circles. But I suppose they could've done that just to cover their tracks and confuse people. I don't know. What do you guys think happened to them?

Edited by joelene

I never cared for this episode very much.   It seemed like too much.   Either make it about a being that can gender shift or make it about a community of Amish aliens, but not both.    I think the show was still trying to find its footing when they made this.

Watching this one right now...

Highlight of the whole episode:

mulder-map-gender-bender.gif

The real X-File is how they pulled off the map thing!

Other than that I have no clue what is going on.  Like the concept is kind of cool, but like joelene said, why would there be clay under the nails?  Does Marty have a ziploc bag of clay to help him gender bend?  Why/how is Marty regenerating when nobody else is gender bending on the regular, except when they die?

And then in the end, like everyone else said, they throw in this crop circle.  Because ya know... aliens, or something.

Oh, and hi baby not-Krycek.  You're still a babe.

The overall feel and vibe of the episode is cool, though. The isolated, vaguely religious group of creepy people, the chanting, the underground tunnels, the eerie darkness from the lack of electricity (or the X-Files lighting budget).  I feel like it had the potential to really be a cool episode, but they just tried to cram too much into it.

• Love 3