Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Beyond the Sea

I'm finally back on the rewatch bandwagon! 

I've always had very mixed feelings about this episode.  It's phenomenal, but sooooo heavy.  I prefer my X-Files a little less heavy, and a bit more out there and creepy.  But bravo to Brad Dourif and Gillian Anderson in this.

Also, thank goodness Chris Carter was definitely not going to let anything happen between Mulder and Scully, otherwise we might have face caressing... oh wait.  Because that's totally normal between coworkers.

But this, this is the episode for me... right here in one rage filled scene, this moment... gah.  Words can't even describe.  I'm in awe of both Gillian and Scully.

tumblr_njouifPgdH1u2q2qxo1_400.gif

Oh, and every time Mulder calls her Dana is just weird.  Just stop, Mulder.  Stop.

• Love 1

I'm finally back on the rewatch bandwagon! 

I've always had very mixed feelings about this episode.  It's phenomenal, but sooooo heavy.  I prefer my X-Files a little less heavy, and a bit more out there and creepy.  But bravo to Brad Dourif and Gillian Anderson in this.

Also, thank goodness Chris Carter was definitely not going to let anything happen between Mulder and Scully, otherwise we might have face caressing... oh wait.  Because that's totally normal between coworkers.

But this, this is the episode for me... right here in one rage filled scene, this moment... gah.  Words can't even describe.  I'm in awe of both Gillian and Scully.

tumblr_njouifPgdH1u2q2qxo1_400.gif

Oh, and every time Mulder calls her Dana is just weird.  Just stop, Mulder.  Stop.

Word.

I feel ashamed right now :(. Just haven't had the time to re watch lately. Damn it. I'll have to try to catch up this weekend.

I actually think the first time he calls her Dana in this episode is sweet. He's trying to be serious and show he cares but he's Mulder, so he does it awkwardly. I like that she reacts by acknowledging that it's weird, it makes it less cheesy. And I also liked the face caressing. Maybe I just like cheesy things :)

Gillian did a fantastic job in that rage scene. I also like the scene when Mulder comes to her hotel room after she followed up on Boggs' visions. Gillian is able to show Scully's vulnerability and pain about her dad's death so well. 

Am I the only one who kinda felt sorry for Boggs in the end when Scully didn't show up to his execution?

Edited by M.F. Luder
  • Love 1

Am I the only one who kinda felt sorry for Boggs in the end when Scully didn't show up to his execution?

Nope, I do too!  I credit Brad Dourif for bring Boggs to life in such a way that you honestly never know if he was being sincere or playing them all for a fool.  No matter how many times I watch it, I still don't know.

• Love 2

I like this "Dana" in that it shows Mulder has been down in the basement with his files for too long -- it's like, "Okay, my partner's father died.  She's not the little spy I thought she was, but I still don't really know her.  I have no idea what their relationship is because we don't talk about things like that, but even if it's as strained as mine is with my father, she has to be devastated.   So, um, what do I say in order to sound supportive?  Okay, let's start with calling her by her first name."

The face caress I cannot get behind, though.  Even Mulder is not stunted enough to think that's an appropriate interaction between colleagues (and that's what they are at this point).  The awkwardness of the "Dana" really works for me, but the face touching is a step too far for me.  I don't think they needed more than the "Dana" to show Mulder struggling to reach out, but if they wanted more, touching her arm would have worked.  The face is just too much.  It's the only thing about this episode I don't like. 

Everything else, I love; my favorite of season one.  I'll be grateful to Morgan and Wong to my dying day for a) writing an episode explicitly designed to give Scully (and Gillian) something to do beyond autopsies and questioning Mulder, and b) writing such a terrific episode, so she could really knock it out of the park.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

This episode proved without a doubt that Scully was the show for me. Even as a beginning actor, Gillian Anderson was exceptional. I'm glad TPTB noticed early on.

Of course acting with Brad Dourif probably helped too. He's always been awesome. I actually feel sorry for Boggs. Sometimes.

I still haven't made up my mind whether he lied or not. It depends very much on the mood I'm in when I watch the episode.

I adore Mulder's dorkiness here too. He doesn't know her that well and he really is bad at personal interaction. In general and in particular here. He's never been for the subtle approach.

• Love 1
Everything else, I love; my favorite of season one.  I'll be grateful to Morgan and Wong to my dying day for a) writing an episode explicitly designed to give Scully (and Gillian) something to do beyond autopsies and questioning Mulder, and b) writing such a terrific episode, so she could really knock it out of the park.

THIS X a million.

Just finished re-watching this episode, and I still love it as much as I did the very first time. Gillian was amazing even then, and Brad Dourif is deliciously creepy. I love that years later, it's still hard to tell whether Boggs was really playing them or not. I especially really like the part where he channels 14 year old Scully with the secret cigarette...the way he plays with his hair as he talks sells it as absolutely perfect.

That being said....the way Mulder caresses Scully's face just makes me cringe, and I cannot get behind him calling her Dana. I hate it, it's weird and it's just....wrong, somehow. To be fair, I also hate it when she calls him Fox. It's not just because they hardly ever do it and it's awkward.....I don't know what it is, but I just can't with it. This is coming from someone who loved them "playing house" in Arcadia, so it's not that I'm not a shipper or don't like them together together. I really do. I just don't know what it is about them using first names that turns me off so completely.

Also, some shallow for a moment.....domesticgoddessScully! is so cute. Hosting dinner and keeping her Christmas tree up forever just because she's an adult now and can get away with it, dammit, cracks me up. =)

Edited by SparklesBitch
  • Love 1